LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! I'm going to be taking the drive from LA to Vegas in a few months. It's only about 280 miles but I keep hearing the it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours. The longer being because of traffic and construction. So how bad is it? I thought that area was good for some high speed running so I was hoping to take care of the trip in less than 4 hours. I'd be leaving LA about 6am on a weekday.

Thanks!
Tom

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
4 - 5 hrs, shouldn't be that bad middle of the week.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Enginerd said:
4 - 5 hrs, shouldn't be that bad middle of the week.
You are right, I've done it in less than 5 hours in a tractor trailer more than once. It's a very boring ride at night, at least during the day you can see the Jackalopes in the desert. And at night if you're real lucky you can hear them singing in the canyons. It has to be really quiet in order to hear them though........

ROK :)

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
4 hrs in the goat driving at night and being good. time flew by though... hope to do it again soon! :burnout:

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
tbyrne said:
I'd be leaving LA about 6am on a weekday.

Thanks!
Tom
Starting from where in LA at 6am on a weekday?

·
Registered
662 Posts
2 hours and 25 min.
New years morning, 2004. 67 Malibu.

·
Registered
385 Posts
ive made it in just over 2.5 hrs form my house to tropicana, and i stopped to piss in in barsow

·
Registered
662 Posts
I nearly ran out of gas AND almost pissed my pants at Barstow, too much coffee.

·
Not Just The Car!
1,293 Posts
It only takes me four hours in my wife's Kia Optima. And thats with said wife, 3 kids, luggage and 2 10s in the trunk.

·
Oxford White Sheep Squadron
11,345 Posts
When my Girlfriend and I go we usually average 4 hours and one time I made it in 3 hours but this would be a bad time to go if your going on the weekend, they are doing work on the 15 around the cajon pass and they are shutting down traffic on fri thru sun.

·
12,533 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
You are right, I've done it in less than 5 hours in a tractor trailer more than once. It's a very boring ride at night, at least during the day you can see the Jackalopes in the desert. And at night if you're real lucky you can hear them singing in the canyons. It has to be really quiet in order to hear them though........

ROK :)
Jackalopes don't hang out in the desert these days. They're far too busy surfing teh interweb.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It really depends on the time you drive and what parts of the road (I-15)are under construction and trust me, that Interstate is eternally under construction. There have been reports that the traffic on a busy weekend can make it an 8 hour trip. Then of course, you always run the risk of accidents ahead of you.

On average, if everything is fairly normal, figure 4-4.5 hours.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=5455475&nav=menu102_5

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=5260353&nav=menu102_5

·
yelling nonsense from balcony
291 Posts
tbyrne said:
Hi Guys! I'm going to be taking the drive from LA to Vegas in a few months. It's only about 280 miles but I keep hearing the it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours. The longer being because of traffic and construction. So how bad is it? I thought that area was good for some high speed running so I was hoping to take care of the trip in less than 4 hours. I'd be leaving LA about 6am on a weekday.

Thanks!
Tom
6am weekday departure should be about 4ish hours, depending of your fear of C/NHP.If you want to turn it into something fun,IE you're not in a rental, PM me.

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stealthblack said:
6am weekday departure should be about 4ish hours, depending of your fear of C/NHP.If you want to turn it into something fun,IE you're not in a rental, PM me.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably be staying somewhere in Hollywood (not sure where yet) but know that I should be getting away from there fairly early so I don't get stuck in the famous LA traffic.

Those Jackalopes look kind of interesting! :)

I thought something fun would be in a rental :) I'll likely be in a Mustang convertible. Hopefully it will be a GT. I usually get stuck in Sebrings that aren't the fastest cars on the planet!

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
0600 from Hollywood is probably reasonable on weekdays. If you wake up early and can depart at 0545 do it.

Your first choke point is the downtown loop, taking the 101 across the north side of downtown to catch the 10 eastbound.

Once you have interstate 5 in your rear view mirror you are going to be OK, 0615 is OK but 0600 would be better.

The 101 backs up all the way to Alvarado street in big hurry, frequently before 0630. You can stick to the left two through lanes all the way through downtown on the 101 to end up on interstate 10.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A lot of the I-15 is tailor made for high speeds and not getting caught. I had the cruise control set at 95 for some time a couple of weeks ago out there.

If you do speed, never pass a line of trucks at high speed - the CHP loves to hide in between and wait for you to pass. Also, never go by an onramp at speed as they also love to sit up there with radar. Your chances of even seeing a CHP car out there are slim. There is so much highway to cover and only a handful of officers.

I grew up in Barstow, and made literally dozens of high-speed runs out there in excess of 100 mph, and a few in excess of 150mph, and never even got pulled over [knocks on wood].

·
Registered
100 Posts
One route to bypass alot of the traffic and construction would be to take the 5 North to the 14 North to the 58 East. The 58 runs straight onto the 15 in Barstow. You avoid the Cajon pass construction as well as alot of traffic as you would generally be going opposite the general direction of traffic.

If you are staying in Hollywood; take the 101 North to the 405 North. The 405 will merge into the 5 North, then merge onto the 14 North. Take the 14 North to Mojave, and hit the 58 East. The 58 generally allows for some 'extra legal' speeds if so desired. The 58 merges into the 15 at Barstow and from there it is a straight shot to Vegas.

·
Registered
662 Posts
1) Make sure you have a spottless windshield. You will be looking AT the Sun at that time.
2) Take something to clean the windshield.
Definately use 58.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts