LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
18,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soccer? Really???

Yeah. I like soccer. Like. Because daughter. I don't love soccer because soccer. To me, it's a lot like tennis and/or gymnastics. The men are astounding athletes, but the women's game is more entertaining. JMO.

With that said, Porkopolis has this newish, second-tier club -- FC Cincinnati -- that plays its games on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. For those that don't know, Nippert Stadium is awesome.

Anyhoo, last night's game was an incredible watch on the 4-letter. I doubt FCC would ever surpass the Bungles or the Bearcats (foozball and hoops) or even those dickheads at X, but given how shitty the Reds have been since before I was of legal drinking age, there's a new gig in town that draws over 20k for home games. They had over 32k in attendance last night. Imagine what could/would happen if they were admitted into the MLS.

Now, let's see if bull and manny were watching. ;)

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
Pfft...

I wasn't watching, but for some reason these smaller teams are getting so much buzz because MLS teams are getting their asses kicked/put to work by these "Lower-tier" teams.

Christos FC scored on DC United, a few weeks ago... and the crowd went bonkers. You'd have thought that was for the W.

MLS needs to put in a relegation system like the BPL. Some of these USL teams are on the come-up. Seeing how even you came in here to give props to a smaller team.

:D

Hell... one of my favorite players, Didier Drogba, used to play for Chelsea FC (my favorite BPL team). He came over to MLS, played a few seasons, and now he's down in the USL with Phoenix Rising FC.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
Soccer? Really???

Yeah. I like soccer. Like. Because daughter. I don't love soccer because soccer. To me, it's a lot like tennis and/or gymnastics. The men are astounding athletes, but the women's game is more entertaining. JMO.

With that said, Porkopolis has this newish, second-tier club -- FC Cincinnati -- that plays its games on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. For those that don't know, Nippert Stadium is awesome.

Anyhoo, last night's game was an incredible watch on the 4-letter. I doubt FCC would ever surpass the Bungles or the Bearcats (foozball and hoops) or even those dickheads at X, but given how shitty the Reds have been since before I was of legal drinking age, there's a new gig in town that draws over 20k for home games. They had over 32k in attendance last night. Imagine what could/would happen if they were admitted into the MLS.

Now, let's see if bull and manny were watching. ;)
Attendance at games has been going up for some time. TV ratings are kind of spotty, though. For both I'm only looking at MLS numbers, however. The "lower" leagues are more like the ABA was to the NBA. Kind of looked at as a second-tier because of exposure, fan awareness, etc., but not really much (any?) less talent. That game last night was one of two wins by so called second-tier clubs over MLS teams. Miami FC also beat Atlanta United, but the FCC win is more impressive.

I saw the headlines, read the stories, but didn't see the matches. Balls deep in Finance at the moment :(.

(How's that for some alternate universe shit? Me crunching numbers on Capital Budgeting scenarios and Midnight watching soccer.)

Pfft...

I wasn't watching, but for some reason these smaller teams are getting so much buzz because MLS teams are getting their asses kicked/put to work by these "Lower-tier" teams.

Christos FC scored on DC United, a few weeks ago... and the crowd went bonkers. You'd have thought that was for the W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-FBc-6IdQk

MLS needs to put in a relegation system like the BPL. Some of these USL teams are on the come-up. Seeing how even you came in here to give props to a smaller team.

:D

Hell... one of my favorite players, Didier Drogba, used to play for Chelsea FC (my favorite BPL team). He came over to MLS, played a few seasons, and now he's down in the USL with Phoenix Rising FC.
+1 on a relegation/promotion system.

Soccer is still small enough to absorb that sort of change and not be disrupted. I think relegation is a great system. I wish the NBA and other leagues in the big 4 would have added that back when it was feasible. Too big, too established to handle that sort of change, now.

·
Administrator
18,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(How's that for some alternate universe shit? Me crunching numbers on Capital Budgeting scenarios and Midnight watching soccer.)
Weird shit all over the damned place! :gr_jest:

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
MLS needs to put in a relegation system like the BPL.
Did you read about this?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/07/24/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx

MLS quietly rebuffed a bold offer that would have quadrupled its media rights fees a full six years before those rights even came to market.

There was one catch to the offer. And it was a big one. The league would have had to put a promotion/relegation system in place — the same system that makes up the backbone of most global soccer leagues.
Looks like the deal never actually had a chance for serious consideration, but interesting that some folks with real influence are pushing for a relegation system.

More here from Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/mls-offered-gigantic-media-rights-bid-but-only-if-it-a-1797207836?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
Yup. It's said in that deadspin article: Even if they wanted to, they can't.

Which sucks for the League, honestly.

The competition seems to be gaining ground. If they do absolutely nothing with this potential, I think the League could be in trouble in the next decade.

"Potential" can only hold on for so long.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
The "can't" is more due to the negotiating rights that ESPN gets. Almost like restricted free-agency in the NBA. The "can" do it in a few years when the current rights are up.

The "won't" is the problem. The MLS powers that be seem insistent on remaining as a closed league. The infrastructure already exists for a promotion/relegation system. Damn shame it likely won't come to fruition.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
The "can't" is more due to the negotiating rights that ESPN gets. Almost like restricted free-agency in the NBA. The "can" do it in a few years when the current rights are up.
Maybe I wasn't reading that correctly. I thought it meant that when the contract is up... ESPN has "first dibs" on renewing.

I know people were saying it couldn't even be touched till '23. However, I thought it meant that even after that, they were at the mercy of ESPN.

This is why I don't do contract work. :gr_jest:

·
Administrator
18,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The "won't" is the problem. The MLS powers that be seem insistent on remaining as a closed league. The infrastructure already exists for a promotion/relegation system. Damn shame it likely won't come to fruition.
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that a large number of "second-tier" clubs are in larger markets. So, say Columbus or Salt Lake gets relegated, you don't want Miami or Tampa or St. Louis or Phoenix? Okeedokee then.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
Exactly. Plus... some of those "second-tier" teams have a bigger fanbase than some of the top-tier.

The Dynamo's fans seem to be coming back. Last couple of seasons have been completely dead. Hell... I still haven't even been to the new stadium, yet.

Ashamed.gif

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that a large number of "second-tier" clubs are in larger markets. So, say Columbus or Salt Lake gets relegated, you don't want Miami or Tampa or St. Louis or Phoenix? Okeedokee then.
<MLS Argument>

They want to protect the revenue of current owners and prospective expansion owners. Relegation means lower revenue (TV deals aren't as lucrative in the lower divisions). Owners want the guaranteed money.

</MLS Argument>

I'm with you, though. The league is being irrationally risk averse, which is, ironically enough, actually a risky move in itself. The pie isn't getting any bigger, but everyone is okay with that since they know the size of their slice. That stifles growth and could lead to the league's demise.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
This Gold Cup Final, tho...!!!

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
USA! USA! USA!

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
I honestly wouldn't have been mad losing to Jamaica. They just kept coming.

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts
I missed the two goals in the middle, but saw that Jamaica responded quickly to start the second half. Saw the last 15 or so minutes - turned it on right before Dempsey was denied.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
That backup GK needs a lot of credit. However, I think Blake would've made that Save on Jozy's free kick.

Hell of a game, though.

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
:(

Hell of a run by Cincinnati. I'd have definitely watched the Final, had they went all the way. Now... couldn't give two shits. Haha

·
Porch Dick
20,298 Posts

·
HGH Optimist
8,021 Posts
HELL YES!!!

The fans have been saying that since post-Klinsmann!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts