LS1GTO.com Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 139 Posts

·
Banned
12,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
If there are any clubs who in fact would like to consider joining the GTOAA, send me a PM.

·
BuckeyeGoats.com
1,943 Posts
Easily? EASILY? Are you fookin' kidding me?

So now, it's MY fault, and others that have similar experiences? That may be biggest load of horseshit I've ever read on this board.
Playing the violin for ya my man, sorry, but to generalize your experience about the entire GTOAA is horseshit...

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Sorry, but to generalize your experience about the entire GTOAA is horseshit...
I was just speaking of my own experiences. Please explain to me how that is generalizing? And if I have heard similar descriptions from all over the country on this board, are those also generalizations? Pfft, way to spin your interests. I can say is that the HGH put the effort in, and it was a total waste of time. It was rather insulting, actually. Oh, I shouldn't bring that up? Why? Oh right....because that doesn't help you much. *sniff* I'm so sorry.... :cry:

Playing the violin for ya my man
Yeah, I'm sure you are.

It's funny. When someone insults you but then later on says something akin to "We're sorry.....come on back guys...", and you tell them to F off.. YOU are to blame for the rift. "Oh, you guys are at fault for being to easy to piss off!! We should have to go up and take a dump on your hood for you to get to that point."

Gimme a break. You should work in Washington.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I think HRJ and others (as did I very early on) contributed to the problem by easily becoming offended by the haters. I'm sure these silly Monaro conversions didn't help either?! LOL, I'm kidding... I still think the "general" population embraces the new cars and their owners.
I personally find that statement highly insulting. I went to many events, including being one of 6 04 cars at the 04 nationals. I walked the walk. Talked to everyone I could. I know my GTO's I used to own a 68 convertible. I attended many a show run by my local GTOAA chapter. At every one we as a group received nothing but insults. The only people at the shows that showed any enthusiasm for our cars were the club leaders. And looking back I'm not sure I trust the sincerity in that.

We showed up with a significant percentage of the vehicles there, showed well and respected the people there. All the while fielding insults from the 'real' GTO owners, some right to our face, some mumbled just loud enough to hear.. We did not easily become offended. It took me 3 years before I finally said smurf you.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
Lets face it, just like the CAN AM GTO owners before us, we will not be accepted into the group until a new GTO comes out and the last round of red headed step-children (73/74) had to wait 30 years for acceptance... with that said, and not directed to the GTOAA because I know they're trying, but towards some of the members, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Banned
12,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
To clear the air about the curiosity of what was called a "sudden push" from GTOAA to reach out to the late-model owners.

It is two fold. One, the Directors decided the Association needed a Public Relations person, so that's me. Yeah, they choose a dyed-in-the-wool late model GTO owner and a relatively new GTOAA member, so I suggest that bodes well for our community. I have tons of experience working with non-profit organizations (GTOAA is a non-profit). It's a brand new position and we have been looking at how to reach out to ALL GTO owners (there are classic GTO owners who do not belong to GTOAA, either). There wasn't someone working these specific issues until this year and collectively we have all been figuring out how to best use me. BTW, there is a dude focused on bringing in more new members (Membership Coordinator), but that ain't me.

I will not speak for Bob A., but since convention and all the board meetings are in the record books, the direction for the next year have been set. I have as one of my objectives set forth by the Directors this next year is to build better relations with late-model GTO owners. That is why I am seeking the input of the 04-06 owners and looking at ya'lls interest.

I know there is some bad blood and for good reason. I have been going to car shows and the track, was at the 07 Nats, and have followed all the discussions over the years and have walked in the same shoes of the many here. I was a LS1GTO member before I was a GTOAA member, so you can believe I have some context and not just wearing rose colored glasses here.

I am not asking anyone to ignore their past treatment, but only looking for the few who are ready to look to the future and help make GTOAA better when it comes to acceptance and inclusion of late-model GTOs. I thank those who remind us about the past and the hurdles they have encountered, but I suggest the entire body of GTOAA has pockets of good examples, too. But for those who are not in an area of acceptance, I suggest the idea of late model specific chapters are that much more appealing.

Keep the dialog and suggestions coming, people are making notes.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
To clear the air about the curiosity of what was called a "sudden push" from GTOAA to reach out to the late-model owners.

It is two fold. One, the Directors decided the Association needed a Public Relations person, so that's me. Yeah, they choose a dyed-in-the-wool late model GTO owner and a relatively new GTOAA member, so I suggest that bodes well for our community. I have tons of experience working with non-profit organizations (GTOAA is a non-profit). It's a brand new position and we have been looking at how to reach out to ALL GTO owners (there are classic GTO owners who do not belong to GTOAA, either). There wasn't someone working these specific issues until this year and collectively we have all been figuring out how to best use me. BTW, there is a dude focused on bringing in more new members (Membership Coordinator), but that ain't me.

I will not speak for Bob A., but since convention and all the board meetings are in the record books, the direction for the next year have been set. I have as one of my objectives set forth by the Directors this next year is to build better relations with late-model GTO owners. That is why I am seeking the input of the 04-06 owners and looking at ya'lls interest.

I know there is some bad blood and for good reason. I have been going to car shows and the track, was at the 07 Nats, and have followed all the discussions over the years and have walked in the same shoes of the many here. I was a LS1GTO member before I was a GTOAA member, so you can believe I have some context and not just wearing rose colored glasses here.

I am not asking anyone to ignore their past treatment, but only looking for the few who are ready to look to the future and help make GTOAA better when it comes to acceptance and inclusion of late-model GTOs. I thank those who remind us about the past and the hurdles they have encountered, but I suggest the entire body of GTOAA has pockets of good examples, too. But for those who are not in an area of acceptance, I suggest the idea of late model specific chapters are that much more appealing.

Keep the dialog and suggestions coming, people are making notes.
Dan, I've known you on here a long time. I don't have any doubt that your motivations are genuine and that your heart is in the right place. I hope you don't take anything I post here personally. Like I've told you before, when it comes down to it, I consider you one of the "good guys."

Sorry if I come across like a prick in this thread, but I've had a few pretty rough encounters with the GTOAA, both on a local and a national level....it's kinda tough not to get worked up about it. I can honestly say that I trust you, but that's about it.

I've said my peace. I'll stay out of this discussion now.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
I think a lot of you guys are living in the past as far as our car not gaining acceptance in the GTO community.

Today at Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk myself and another 04 owner (sable) parked between two trailered in classics. Both of these owner were as congenial as could be. And this is after we both went out and took down classic GTO's back to back on our first runs. During the day one of these guys we parked next to offered to lend us his tools and the other offered to hold our parking spaces for us for tomorrow (since we drove up and weren't leaving anything overnight). This is what I see from classic owners everywhere I go. Now it may be that the racing guys are more open to us then the show guys...but I didn't have problems with any classic owner last weekend at a POCI show either.

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,408 Posts
at what point do we try to fix the probblem instead of never letting the past go..

this sounds like some of the old goats towards new goats

at some point you got to forgive and forget...

all my dealing have been good nothing compared to HRJ problems..

this make me think its one area and not the whole group

last time i'll ask this is it time to forgive and forget and try to fix the issue or continue to complain about something that happen 3 years ago ???

just my thoughts
Morty

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I had a great time in Louisville in '06. But that's because I wasn't going as a car show guy. I left the rubber on the fenders and my dial-ins on the windshield. But that's just me. I was happy to see those who won their categories.

But one thing has to be dealt with: these are different generations with different expectations. It's a Mars - Venus thing. A 40 year old car in perfect Concourse condition is a lot more impressive than a 2 year old car that is still factory with a little Zaino and mirrors under the car.

There's another matter. SOME of the younger generation guys with the late-model GTO's did make asses of themselves at the convention. They made a mockery of the banquet (I don't think I need to name names). They violated clear rules (I have the video and was asked to take it down - I did). They took a certain car and abused it (pics of that too, which I was asked to take down - I did).

I got crap from the old crowd, "what is that, a G6?" "Yeah, an 11-second G6 you ass, is that a LeMans?" But not much.

Mostly respect, but two different worlds. I actually liked hanging out with the old school guys. Why? Because they were more sober. (Though I did enjoy Napalm's LIT's.)

I've not renewed my membership. The only thing I'll sort of miss is The Legend. I have great respect for what DY is doing for the new GTO and for the knowledge of John Sawruck. Amazing for the historical record. But you know, I don't care where the blue dots are supposed to be on Concourse cars.

Maybe it's just me.

Padre

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
So talking to more classic GTO owners at Pontiac Nationals today a common thread has appeared and that is...a lot of the classic racers who came over to talk to us have already bought or a looking into buying late model GTO's .... now how about that for guys that supposedly hate our car.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
So talking to more classic GTO owners at Pontiac Nationals today a common thread has appeared and that is...a lot of the classic racers who came over to talk to us have already bought or a looking into buying late model GTO's .... now how about that for guys that supposedly hate our car.
so what? that doesn't speak for every old owner. And as we said, not all old owners were bad to us, but like it or not, there are one's that still are and thats a fact. It was proven at the cruisn tigers indian uprising show a few weeks ago.

Its not worth it. I love my car, but its just a piece metal and plastic shit at the end of the day, only worth anything to me, myself and I. With that said, I will not waste what little free time I have dealing with adults acting like spoiled children because mommy and daddy had a new baby and they're being ignored now.....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
What’s a shame is until I purchased my 05 I had total respect for ALL model/year Goats. As I attended more and more events I quickly realized that we weren’t accepted in most shows. I started to lose respect in not only 64-74 GTO owners but lost interest in cars in general.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I could pretty agree with the respect thing. I attended a car show yesterday. There were 100 cars entered and 13 awards and a dealers choice. There were 20-30 04-06 GTOs. They drew alot of interest, but when the winners were announced, not one won an award. In my opinion, 3-4 had a good chance to take one of the 13 awards. Do I care about a trophy? NO.... but that would shown we do some respect from the old owners.

Even sadder was the fact two groups of 04-06 owners traveled over 100 miles to attend. I did however enjoy the ride.

·
2,408 Posts
I could pretty agree with the respect thing. I attended a car show yesterday. There were 100 cars entered and 13 awards and a dealers choice. There were 20-30 04-06 GTOs. They drew alot of interest, but when the winners were announced, not one won an award. In my opinion, 3-4 had a good chance to take one of the 13 awards. Do I care about a trophy? NO.... but that would shown we do some respect from the old owners.

Even sadder was the fact two groups of 04-06 owners traveled over 100 miles to attend. I did however enjoy the ride.
What type of show was this 100 cars and 25 of them was new Gen. GTO's??? how many old gen. GTO????

I was at a Rod and custom last week.
3 total GTO"s over the whole weekend showed 1 old and 2 new and 1 of each won awards...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The show was run by a GTO club affiliated with GTOAA. There were 4-5 GTO judges (one won), 1 '64, 2 '65, 1 '66, 1 '67, 1 '68 or '69 and 1 '74. Everything else F-body or other models of 50-60 Pontiacs.

·
2,408 Posts
The show was run by a GTO club affiliated with GTOAA. There were 4-5 GTO judges (one won), 1 '64, 2 '65, 1 '66, 1 '67, 1 '68 or '69 and 1 '74. Everything else F-body or other models of 50-60 Pontiacs.

Are you sure it was a GTOAA and not POCI meet ???

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Morty,

Yes it is a GTO club. That is what was surprising to me (the lack of 1st gen GTO's).

61 - 80 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.