81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just for the record....

The SVGTO show was an ALL PONTIAC show hosted by a GTOAA Regional Club. This was NOT a GTO show. There are A LOT more Pontiacs overall than there are GTO's both first or second generation combined. ALMOST every every Pontiac year car was there. Every thing from 1930's to 2006.

Voting was done for the top 10 best overall. There was a 4 way tie for 9th place. Instead of awarding ties all 12 got awards. Voting was done by ALL registered participants NOT just the Club members.

There should be NO complaints about who got or didn't get awards. The fairest way to vote is by your piers. I have an 05' but I voted for the older cars. (I only voted for one GTO BTW the 69' Judge that is flawless.) Why? because IMO cars that look show room new after 60-70 years with documentation deserve to be recognized. There were multiple Pontiacs there in that category. The dealer awarded his choice to the winner because the car was completely original matching numbers, original owner with every piece of literature on that car and it was purchased at that dealership 35 years ago. The car is almost concourse quality. BTW the car was NOT a GTO it was a 1973 TA. For anyone with a NEW car to feel dissed because their car didn't get recognized when there was 30+ classics in pristine condition out of 100 cars doesn't fully grasp what a car show is about.

Due to the overwhelming response we had of show participants, one of the improvements for next year will be show classes. We started out hoping to have a good turn out. What we had far exceeded our expectations. Had we known in advance the great turnout we had, we would have had multiple classes.

For 100 Pontiacs to show at a local ALL PONTIAC show was amazing. I have been to countless car shows were far fewer than 100 cars showed total.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Morty,

Yes it is a GTO club. That is what was surprising to me (the lack of 1st gen GTO's).
In our Club you don't have to have a GTO. Some don't. Many members with classic GTO's didn't attend that day. Of the classic GTO's there only 1 was recognized, a perfect condition Palisades Green 69' Judge. Some club members took their classics to NORWALK. If they would have shown, there is no doubt their cars would have won awards. 2 of the cars not present that day took home awards at the GTOAA Nationals.

Incidentally the ratio from old to new generation in our club is nearing 50%. 60/40 Old to new has had the gap narrowed. Many new generation owners are GTOAA members.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
That ratio of old/new is probably the best in the nation.

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
What type of show was this 100 cars and 25 of them was new Gen. GTO's??? how many old gen. GTO????

I was at a Rod and custom last week.
3 total GTO"s over the whole weekend showed 1 old and 2 new and 1 of each won awards...

Okay So lets see if we get a nice showing for the On The Border Meet This Sunday Morning Aug 17th. I will have over 40 awards in all I think there may be a few New Gens winning something here...lol :) I also Have awards for Best,Classic Gto, F-body,Best Corvette along with other catagories.

Don't miss it.......

I hope to see alot more then 2 old school gto 's to come out and support as thats how many there were last time. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241438

·
lol
15,311 Posts
at what point do we try to fix the probblem instead of never letting the past go..

this sounds like some of the old goats towards new goats

at some point you got to forgive and forget...

all my dealing have been good nothing compared to HRJ problems..

this make me think its one area and not the whole group

last time i'll ask this is it time to forgive and forget and try to fix the issue or continue to complain about something that happen 3 years ago ???

just my thoughts
Morty
Well, then the GTOAA has a lot of work to do to mend past scars... The ball is not in our court, they are the ones that want our money, we are the ones that have been hurt.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Well, then the GTOAA has a lot of work to do to mend past scars... The ball is not in our court, they are the ones that want our money, we are the ones that have been hurt.
Hogwash. Some members have made asses of themselves at the Nats and elsewhere. Immaturity x 10^1000. I witnessed it in '06, and it was apparently worse in '08.

I refer you to the Declining Quality of New Members thread. Except it applies to founding members as well.

/thread

Padre

·
3X HIN Hottest Modern Muscle
1,028 Posts
I just read all 3 pages of this. And WOW. Not much has changed i guess. I never renewed my membership with GTOAA either. I still plan to attend the next Nationals, since it is closer to home, weither the old gto oweners like me or not, i have respect for most of them, if they want to be the children then so be it, i will be the bigger person, i dont need to get along with them to have a good time anyways......

Ok back to being hidden and reading everything as usual......lol

·
Banned
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Okay So lets see if we get a nice showing for the On The Border Meet This Sunday Morning Aug 17th. I will have over 40 awards in all I think there may be a few New Gens winning something here...lol :) I also Have awards for Best,Classic Gto, F-body,Best Corvette along with other catagories.

Don't miss it.......

I hope to see alot more then 2 old school gto 's to come out and support as thats how many there were last time. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241438
Dont forget to tell us how it goes today.

·
Yes, I am a smart butt
814 Posts
Well since my husband and Goatfest were mentioned several times in this thread I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents. First and foremost, Dan E, you have my utmost respect and gratitude for your service and the wonderful things you have done as our friend. I wish you good luck in this endevour.

Our experience with taking over Gulf Coast GTO's was nothing short of miserable. Bill was the president of Gulf Coast last year. It was a ton of work, and expense for Bill and I. We wanted an insurance policy for Goatfest so that we would not lose everything if someone decided to sue us. In this litigous society that is a real possiblity. Last year we bought a one day policy for a reasonable amount. If I had only known then what I know now, I could have saved my husband alot of work, money and aggravation. One of the things that bothered me the most was the snotty little jabs at Becky. HRJ is absolutely correct about the Autorama. Could not have been more unfair. They seemed to fight Bill every step of the way. He was between a rock and a hard place trying to please both sides and pleasing neither. There were too many problems to mention here. The last straw came when we put on a Digital scavanger hunt to raise money for their chosen charity. The car show they put on did not raise any money. Bill could not bear the idea that the charity didn't receive any money, so we decided to do this event. Bill and I put up the prize money, little gifts and trophies out of our pocket. (Like numerous other times) Only 2 of their members showed up for this event. This charity was chosen by the old timers because some of their members had benefited from it. (Neither here nor there, but I would have chosen Fisher House) The HGH showed up in full force that day. (On a side note, I miss those days) We assumed, incorrectly, that they wanted to get on board. This situation was a loser all around for us. It was too much aggravation for Bill and I, it created rifts between friends, and put a general feeling of ill will on events.

I am sorry to be such a downer Dan. But some of the old timers are set in their ways. Bill gave it a year, and the situation just couldn't get resolved. Once people get their feelings hurt sometimes, they just can't get over it. Bless your heart, you have taken on a daunting task. I wish you well.

·
God Bless Texas!
2,284 Posts
Dan,

I have been off the boards for awhile because of some asshats on this board. If you would like any further details of my trials and tribulations please give me a call or e-mail. I'll try and fill in some blanks. By the way......I'm still a GTOAA Member #12594

Bill

·
Administrator
18,917 Posts
Wow. Just... wow.

<---- Has been gleefully ignorant... until now.

I had no idea there was such a festering mess of bad feelings... between car clubs! Yeah, and I thought fraternity games were childish when I was in college. :rolleyes:

I think Dan's motives are genuine, but as is par for the course, some people choose to see an ulterior motive and pounce. WTF? Why not chime in with a simple "no thanks" and move on about your day? Joe, it sounds like your point of view is a "one bad apple..." scenario. That doesn't excuse it, and I am just redneck enough that I would carry a grudge too. I think it raises an interesting question, wouldn't WE outnumber most of the old-school asshats? IDK, but it would seem that we could logically tilt the numbers in our favor.

I'm not a member of anything, other than this-here message board. I have been contemplating joining a group, but I don't have a lot of free-time, and I have soccer every other day, so I'm not advocating one group over another. But this poo flinging, pissing match is utterly disgusting.

I may still be ignorant as to the politics involved on this board and among the various groups/club, but damn. We're all adults... well... legally anyway. :shiner:

·
Mommy Goat!
1,393 Posts
ok...here is my opinoin and some of the HGH background.

Robert (LS2BlueGoat) and myself were big proponents of joining GTOAA...Bill got us on board and we approached GTOAA. We were told that we needed permission from the local chapter to have our own. We approached GCGTO's and asked...they said no...come join us and take over our charter...we talked and said ok. We (the HGH) began attending their meetings and ran for officers.

We won all of the positions by a landslide. The only position that was contested was mine (secretary). Feelings were hurt.

We sat down with the old and new board and planned what we wanted to accomlish before the year began. They (5 to 6 of the old guys) balked at everything that we did. The newsletter was never good enough, we got flack every month. The meetings were no good. it got to the point that the HGH members started to drift away from the BS. Instead of dealing with the animocity the HGH backed away.

My FINAL straw was when Robert and I were asked blatantly to step down because we adopted our son. That was my last straw!!!!!! Robert lost all respect at that moment in time for these people in GCGTO. For those of you who knew him...that says a lot right there. Robert was the calm voice of reason and compromise.

Now how does this relate to your current initiative of bringing member clubs? Allow clubs who want to join to do so as is without having to merge.
I know that the HGH took a big blow of morale with the merger to the point where there really is not much happening anymore. Now I don't think the merger was the only cause but I can guarantee that it is a factor....members called Robert and myself to explain that they couldnt put up with the changes that were imposed under GCGTO and they drifted away.

This is just my 2 cents as an interested party!

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
:( I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that...

·
Mommy Goat!
1,393 Posts
:( I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that...
thanks however if we can just let some other clubs learn from our mistake then we will all be better off. The only reason GCGTO qualified to still be a GTOAA chapter is that the HGH had 100% GTOAA membership going into the merger. If we hadn't merged we would have had 100% membership and all of us would have been better off...GCGTO would have lost their charter for lack of participation and Houston area would have a very stong club base because we would have left the HGH as it was...no officers, dues, BS...just great people doing great things...we used to do a ton for charity...we had toy drives for Toys for Tots, Blue Santa in Lake Jackson, Dyno Days, impromtu GTG's, organized participation in shows, cruises....for a long time there was an HGH event every weekend in Houston.

It all comes down to the bottom line of it is the people that make the club...if you have asshats then well....:bomb:

·
Banned
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Now how does this relate to your current initiative of bringing member clubs? Allow clubs who want to join to do so as is without having to merge.
I am sorry for what you had to go through. I cannot fix the past and can try to work hard to affect the future. It doesnt forgive the indviduals who did what they did, I would hope the National office attempted to intervene.

Hopefully you will be glad to know that is the entire gist of this post. There is a proposal to have non-merged clubs, that is classic GTO groups and late-model GTO clubs as their own entities. I was looking for some pros and cons from the biggest late-model GTO car club around, LS1GTO.

Thanks to all who are adding their thoughts.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.