Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I am sorry for what you had to go through. I cannot fix the past and can try to work hard to affect the future. It doesnt forgive the indviduals who did what they did, I would hope the National office attempted to intervene.
First let me say that I'm not attacking you or attempting to beat a dead horse here.

How exactly could the National office intervene? What you have is a group of people with some very ingrained opinions and attitudes. I'm not even saying they are wrong in thier opinion. I get it. You have a club built around a car that hadn't been built in decades. Hell, the first GTO I owned was older than me. These people either paid through the nose or worked their asses off to perserve these cars they love. People who love classic cars tend to dislike new cars. At the very least, most view new cars as utilities without art. I get that. I understand that and I respect that. Then along comes a "New GTO". I wasn't excited about it. Well not after I saw it. When I made the decision to buy it, it wasn't a GTO I was buying as much as a Muscle car. And if there were any other options available at the time, I may well have chosen one of them. I love this car and once I owned it and really looked into what a GTO was historically I realized it was a true GTO for this generation.

But how do you get a national organization to force their members to play nice with us? You don't. The opinions have to be changed on an individual basis. I spent years at shows talking to people, showing them my car and my love for their cars. Many of us did. And after three years of making zero headway, I gave up. In ten or 15 years maybe we will be the 74's of the group. Semi accepted, the red headed stepchild. Today there are a good number of us that feel unwanted by the original members.

·
Banned
12,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I agree that the National office could do little to influence. I believe that if the local chapter president got a call from the President of the GTOAA and they discussed the problem like adults, there might be a chance that there could be some sort of softening of attitudes (from some).

But hell, it could be all for naught. Another perfect reason to look at separate clubs, I know at least two late-model GTO groups were interested in doing just that over the last few years. Now it is a real possibility.

·
Mommy Goat!
1,393 Posts
i can assure all that many of us had conversations with GTOAA regarding this fiasco...as long as you are going to let clubs in as is there is no problem...in regards to only having 1 club per area that is crazy...it would be like saying there is a walgreens there so we can't have CVS, RiteAid, Longs or anything else. Multiple clubs per area will solve this problem...don't forget there were a lot of early model GTO's in HGH before the merge simply because they were sick of the crap of GCGTO's.

If you move forward then the problem will fix itself because people will gravitate to the club that isn't a group of asshats.

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,408 Posts
Little GTO

With everything that has been said over the couple of weeks about older GTO owner not like the new generation cars, I have been doing a little investigating…
And this is what I found:

1. 1964-1967 guys don’t like 1968-1972 cars because it looks to much like a Olds 442, Cutlass. Chevy Chevelle.

2. 1968 – 1972 say it’s an old car no style looks the same as all the other 1964-1976 brands.

3. Then came along the 1973, this car is way out there it’s too big.

4. if the GTO wasn’t in a whole lot of trouble we would be talking about 1973 – 1978 GTO’s but since gas prices and insurance regulation spells the end of the GTO, So GM did what it could it had an idea to make the 1974 a Ventura option something to get a few more sales like the Nova SS ..Pontiac last hours and you guessed it also became the ugly duckling that none of the other generations of GTO owner liked.

5. Move ahead 40 years and the brainstorming GM boys came up with a biggie let bring back the GTO name we will get a midsize car with a big engine and introduce a new generation of younger car people into the world of muscle cars.

And.. of course you guessed it again most of the older GTO owner soon forgot about the 1974 it had another stepchild it didn’t like 2004 GTO it had a phrase again “ that no GTO” it doesn’t even have hood scoops or dual exhaust …..this was a big mistake the other was it’s not a retro GTO…. 2005-2006 fix the first 2 problem but not the thrid…”it’s not a retro…Maybe we will see a retro 2010 or 2011

Since this is getting long I’ll end this with it seems to me from the people that I’ve talked to that this 2004-2006 it not that the older generation doesn’t like it. It that none of them like any of them except the one he or she owns now…

Sooooo Don’t feel bad just suck it up until GM make the next GTO and we can say That’s not a GTO…just like our older brother and sister are saying now…

Go fast and be safe
Morty

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If they make another generation GTO, I will buy it just to say I own one from each generation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks to all who provided their feedback on this thread. All of it was reviewed and considered by myself and Dan E.

Know that the GTOAA leadership fully supports the GTO (all years)and its enthusiasts!

I apologize if any of our members (past and present) via their actions or words have offended anyone who simply wants to enjoy the GTO. I promise you that we will continue to work hard to eliminate the animosity. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Bob A.
President, GTOAA

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
I'm impressed!! to see the big guy made a stop in here. i see you have great taste in your 06 color choice! all the bickering aside there is one question that i haven't seen someone ask, other then the event ins what benefits are there to the new gen gto clubs joining the gtoaa? its going to be hard to sell the members the idea that they have to pay the 35 bucks for the gtoaa and then another fee for there local club with out really getting something for there money. maybe toss them a gtoaa t-shirt and put more magazine coverage on the new gen gto's, try to kill some of the animosity between the old and new gen's and all that along with the event ins looks better to me, and maybe many more!
Thanks to all who provided their feedback on this thread. All of it was reviewed and considered by myself and Dan E.

Know that the GTOAA leadership fully supports the GTO (all years)and its enthusiasts!

I apologize if any of our members (past and present) via their actions or words have offended anyone who simply wants to enjoy the GTO. I promise you that we will continue to work hard to eliminate the animosity. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Bob A.
President, GTOAA

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I'm impressed!! to see the big guy made a stop in here. i see you have great taste in your 06 color choice!
Howie, Bob has always been our #1 advocate in getting the 04-06 GTO's integrated into the GTOAA better. He's a real stand up guy.

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,408 Posts
What can GTOAA do for us?? well how about:

GTOAA sponsored Drag racing show across the U.S.A or GTOAA sponsored road courses across the country.

Meets at places like Watkins Glenn, Lime rock, Mid Ohio, some courses in the Midwest , and in the west.

Something like what we do at the Nationals.

Then have the winner get there awards at the GTOAA National meet.

This would get the GTO name back out in the motorsport world again.

Maybe Pontiac / GM could foot some of the bill.

If done up right it could spark interest and maybe more sales.

Just my thoughts input please...

Morty

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
these sound like some good idea's.

GTOAA sponsored Drag racing show across the U.S.A or GTOAA sponsored road courses across the country.

Meets at places like Watkins Glenn, Lime rock, Mid Ohio, some courses in the Midwest , and in the west.

Morty
i know steve, ive been paying attention. lol
Howie, Bob has always been our #1 advocate in getting the 04-06 GTO's integrated into the GTOAA better. He's a real stand up guy.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Morty
A few others;

Pontiac Enthusiast's Magazine exposure. [Keep an eye on an upcoming magazine spread for GTOAA affiliated club exposure.] (Carlisle PA)

Other National magazine exposure.

Contact's to the BIGGEST names in Pontiac showing at your events.

Sponsoring the BIGGEST names in the business.

Being affiliated with the BIGGEST names in the business and attracting NATIONAL exposure.

Being recognized at National, and Regional Events as GTOAA.

Preferred treatment at nationally Sanctioned Events.

The right to be involved with the PROMOTION OF the GTO at the highest level.

The right to be associated with the PREMIERE organization for the PRESERVATION of ALL GTO's

Affiliation with the Pontiac Historical Society. http://www.phs-online.com/links.htm

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
i also like these ideas! the last one really sparked my attention! ls1gto should be on that list considering all that it has done for us. you can find anything you need about our new gen cars here!

A few others;

Pontiac Enthusiast's Magazine exposure. [Keep an eye on an upcoming magazine spread for GTOAA affiliated club exposure.] (Carlisle PA)

Other National magazine exposure.

Contact's to the BIGGEST names in Pontiac showing at your events.

Sponsoring the BIGGEST names in the business.

Being affiliated with the BIGGEST names in the business and attracting NATIONAL exposure.

Being recognized at National, and Regional Events as GTOAA.

Preferred treatment at nationally Sanctioned Events.

The right to be involved with the PROMOTION OF the GTO at the highest level.

The right to be associated with the PREMIERE organization for the PRESERVATION of ALL GTO's

Affiliation with the Pontiac Historical Society. http://www.phs-online.com/links.htm

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have read all the GTOAA bashing on here how the GTOAA disses our cars blah, blah, blah. Many probably never took the time to look on the GTOAA site and noticed LS1 is listed on there as tech advice for the 2004-2206 Model year. That's a hell of a way to diss the new gen crowd ain't it?

Which brings another point. If you look under the tech advice tab which is located in the left hand pane and then scroll down UNDER LS1 you will notice every model year has their own tech. This is the contact person to talk to with specific questions regarding your car. If you are a member, any question you need answered will be answered by an authority.

If you look under the 2004-2006 year you will notice the name of Jonathan Schwenn. Many don't know who he is. This man is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. He is also OLD SCHOOL. If there is anything you need to know on this car, that man can answer it. He's forgotten more about GTO's than most people could ever hope to learn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ok i didnt click the link to check it.
While you're checking that link out check the Community Link tab, you'll see LS1GTO prominently displayed and linked.

"The GTOAA is a proud part of the Pontiac and Automotive Enthusiast communities. Many of our members are a part of the following communties. Some of these communities include special GTOAA sections."

Dissed? You tell me.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I have read all the GTOAA bashing on here how the GTOAA disses our cars blah, blah, blah. Many probably never took the time to look on the GTOAA site and noticed LS1 is listed on there as tech advice for the 2004-2206 Model year. That's a hell of a way to diss the new gen crowd ain't it?

Which brings another point. If you look under the tech advice tab which is located in the left hand pane and then scroll down UNDER LS1 you will notice every model year has their own tech. This is the contact person to talk to with specific questions regarding your car. If you are a member, any question you need answered will be answered by an authority.

If you look under the 2004-2006 year you will notice the name of Jonathan Schwenn. Many don't know who he is. This man is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge. He is also OLD SCHOOL. If there is anything you need to know on this car, that man can answer it. He's forgotten more about GTO's than most people could ever hope to learn.
Nobody has argued that the Organization or it's leadership isn't embracing us. But that is only a small part of the club. It is the Vast majority of the membership that has made us feel unwelcome in the past. Despite the effort of many of us to integrate. I have a great deal of respect for the people I have met at the leadership level of the GTOAA.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.