LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this "streaking" in a few spots on my subwoofer grills a month ago or so which didn't wipe off with the dust rag. So when I was cleaning the windows this past week I notieced it had increased in size and paint easily flaked off when i touched it with my fingernail (pic 1). A larger area is apparent on pic 2. For the first 4 months I had it, I had to leave it outside because there weren't any carport spots avaiable. I wonder if it was some cleaner the dealer who prepped my car used, or just the sun... Oh well, still a warranty issue, and I have to take it in for a wrinkle on one of the steering wheel spokes, thunk in the trunk, and a squeak that just appeared in the rear seat seatback when somebody sits back there. I just have to convince myself that the dealer is not a totally incompetent idiot and they won't ruin my car or cover my interior with grease while working on it... :( (I do my own maintenance)

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
BowdawG said:
Just noticed this "streaking" in a few spots on my subwoofer grills a month ago or so which didn't wipe off with the dust rag. So when I was cleaning the windows this past week I notieced it had increased in size and paint easily flaked off when i touched it with my fingernail (pic 1). A larger area is apparent on pic 2. For the first 4 months I had it, I had to leave it outside because there weren't any carport spots avaiable. I wonder if it was some cleaner the dealer who prepped my car used, or just the sun... Oh well, still a warranty issue, and I have to take it in for a wrinkle on one of the steering wheel spokes, thunk in the trunk, and a squeak that just appeared in the rear seat seatback when somebody sits back there. I just have to convince myself that the dealer is not a totally incompetent idiot and they won't ruin my car or cover my interior with grease while working on it... :( (I do my own maintenance)
Mine did the same thing. Dealer looked up the parts....DISCONTINUED! I said, " The car is still in production right now! How can it be discontinued?" They are in the process of looking for them. I hope to hear something this week.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I have the same problem with my steering wheel... looks like the metal trim is some sort of laminate, as I have an air bubble appearing. Not as bad as yours though.

Haven't called the dealer yet on that one. Will do it this week.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine did the same thing. Dealer looked up the parts....DISCONTINUED! I said, " The car is still in production right now! How can it be discontinued?" They are in the process of looking for them. I hope to hear something this week.
Hmm, I wonder if they have to order the entire panel, not just the grills... I will probably have them do that, cause when I look in the rearview mirror I can also see where the cloth has separated from the backing in one of the "valleys" That happened right after I got my car (might have come that way) but I didn't really bother with it, now with the other things to get fixed, I'll just add it to the list...

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
What did they do to yours? Mine is doing the same thing and its new

I was going to do nothing since I am tinting the windows and you wont be able to see it, but I dont know.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Man, first production cars really do have lots of problems.

I would just repaint those grills yourself.

The steering wheel issue bothers me though.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Thats what i'm saying, just pull the speaker grill out (however it is removed) and pick up some high quality metal primer and paint in the color and finish you want. Shouldnt take more than a few hours at most.

I agree, the 'wrinkle' in the trim on the steering wheel is a bugger. Then again, nothing you couldnt fix with some paint if you are good with it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had the same problem with my sub grills. When I got the car home and cleaned it for the first time I noticed the same thing. I thought something was on the grills so I was rubbing trying to get it off and then I realized that I was actually taking more of the paint off myself. I took it back to the dealership a few days after I bought it and said I wanted them replaced. They ordered them and replaced both of them at no cost to me. They said that they had to remove the back seat to get underneath to pull them out. By the way I made them show me the new ones before I let them put them in because I thought that maybe they too would come in with that problem. Good luck!

·
Mr Fingers to you
2,711 Posts
Werll I tinted my windows and dont see the grills anymore.

One day when I get bored I'll pull em out and repaint them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts