LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the green lighting on the radio and the DIC is pretty gross. These things are usually backlit with an EL panel or edge lit with a series of little green LEDs. Anyone have the cohones to rip theirs apart and see if the lighting can be modified? :drink:

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
It's practically the same hue Buick lights their interiors with, I was kind of hoping it'd be red like the rest of Pontiac's cars.

There was a Holden concept shown not long ago that had nice red backlighting for all the controls.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Red would be pretty neat but I kind of like the green lights. I guess I am more neutral because they arent that great, but I like how they are all color coordinated like the green lights by the pedals and the passangers foot area. I think it looks alright at night when you first go in.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I actually think the interior green lighting is a nice change from the Pontiac Red backlighting I am used to. I like the green lighting below the dash when the door is open also. I would not change a thing.

·
90 in a 65
511 Posts
I got a pic of the all-red guage lighting of the concept Holden SSX to which was mentioned earlier.... It looks real good but I also attached two pix of Ford's FPV Falcon interiors that have blue and red interiors much like that of Volkswagen

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
HSV_255GTO said:
I got a pic of the all-red guage lighting of the concept Holden SSX to which was mentioned earlier.... It looks real good but I also attached two pix of Ford's FPV Falcon interiors that have blue and red interiors much like that of Volkswagen

Those are nice pics.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HSV_255GTO said:
I got a pic of the all-red guage lighting of the concept Holden SSX to which was mentioned earlier....
That's what I'M talkin about! Now all we need is a way to communicate with the Engineer who put that little project together.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I hate the white back lighting. It’s generic! Perhaps if it were an LED style like Caddy or Lexus, I’d like it more. However, this is a Pontiac. Pontiac’s trademark since the early 80’s was it’s warm red back lighting. It’s one of the nuances that set it apart from the other GM products. Other manufacturers use it too! BMW, Audi, Mitsubishi, and even to a lesser more orange extent, Chrysler in the mid to late 90’s. It was inspired from jet fighter because it was found to be easy and less stressful on the eyes. It maintained an easy to read display without being distracting like a bright white cluster would be and helped keep the ****pit of a plane stealthy at night so they weren’t a target.

I also didn’t like the green footwell lighting. I replaced that the minute I noticed it. I didn’t not like it for the color. I think that did add a cool effect. The problem I have is that it cut down on optimum lighting efficiency. I.E. it was too dark. All it is, is a 161/194 bulb with a green rubber cover over it. I replaced it with a regular 161/194 bulb and it made the footwell noticably brighter. This car needs more light inside at night period. It needs the mirrors with lights in them as well as the compass/temp and autodim would be nice. I may look into getting a Gentex (or whatever the name of the mirror company is that makes them is) and put one in. The overhead dome light simply isn’t enough.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Although I don't mind the dark interior lighting I'm also disappointed with the dash lighting at night, especially the MPH (a complaint on another thread). I wouldn't mind have a programmable color like the [/I]other guy. Maybe it'll be a hit and spread to other vehicles?

·
Registered
78 Posts
mistermike said:
I think the green lighting on the radio and the DIC is pretty gross. These things are usually backlit with an EL panel or edge lit with a series of little green LEDs. Anyone have the cohones to rip theirs apart and see if the lighting can be modified? :drink:
i was hoping that someone has done this already since i have done it on some of my past vehicles. i'm not too partial with the green either. hopefully the green is just from some bulb covers as i have some red ones from previous installs. maybe i'll try to mess with it next week when i have a little extra time off. that is of course, after i put in my home made CAI. if i do get the dash apart, i'll let you know how it is under there.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
I was waiting for someone to open up their IP too. I want to make all my lights blue instead of green. I think green just looks outdated and doesn't match the rest of the interior.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Wow, am I the only one who LIKES the dash lighting? My only complaint is some of the controls are not lit as well as i'd like and the lack of a power door lock button inside the car. (Who the hell thought it'd be a neat idea to put the door lock button so far back on the door and make it the only method of locking your doors from the inside?) Anyhow, the dash lights are much nicer than my factory lights in my Honda.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
CSiJason said:
Wow, am I the only one who LIKES the dash lighting?
Nope. I like it, too. Personally, I think the red lighting looks too '80's.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I also like it.......

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
CSiJason said:
Wow, am I the only one who LIKES the dash lighting? .
Nope, you are not alone. I absolutely love the green light. Very easy on the eyes at night. If the goat had the traditional red backlighting, that would cause me so much eye strain and eye fatigue.

I wouldn't mess with mine. Very satisfied, but I would love to hear from anyone ballsy enough to rip it all apart.

Attachments

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
I love the green lights and have no intentions of changing it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
mlc said:
Although I don't mind the dark interior lighting I'm also disappointed with the dash lighting at night, especially the MPH (a complaint on another thread). I wouldn't mind have a programmable color like the [/I]other guy. Maybe it'll be a hit and spread to other vehicles?

mlc,
Have you seen post 8 under this thread:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8326

Sounds like the MPH light might be something the dealer can fix under warranty. If you've checked it out already, please excuse the re-hash.

·
05/06 AEROFORCE HERE NOW!!!
2,352 Posts
I think the green looks great also...very clean looking and I like how the whole interior is nicely color matched.

I was glad that the GTO didn't use the standard pontiac, retina-burning red...their normal interiors are usually lit up way too much with red on every button and dial possible.

What looked cooler was the backlight on my Corvette's instrument gauges...it was backlit by a flourescent blacklight...very neat effect. I'm not sure if the C6's did this also.

The vette also had a little pinhole light on the bottom of the mirror that shined down...it was very subtle but actually gave you some ambient light at night so you didn't feel blind. BMW's do the same, but their's are a little more intense.

I'm guessing you guys know this, but the reason so many car companies use variants on only a few colors (red, blue, green) is that they are the only ones that effectively preserve night vision. Red was the old standard (thanks mainly due to the military (tanks, ships, submarines, aircraft, map reading, etc), but recent studies have shown that our eyes are better equipped to see detail in the turquoise blue-green spectrum (think night vision equipment)...and yes the military has shifted again, to green. Green is also less susceptible to infrared detection; not that it's really an issue in your car.

Sooooo, you're better off with green...technically.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts