LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mute button on the GTO will not mute the radio, it only turns it down quite a bit. I took it into the dealer and they said that Pontiac is calling it a design function and it isn't designed to mute the radio.
Now, my feeling-- a bull shit response. Mute should mean mute, not down a little.
I will be writing Pontiac. I would like to encourage all of you to do the same so that we can get this issue addressed-
Pontiac Motor Divsion
PO BOX 33172 - GTO Quality Assurance
Detroit, MI 48232-5172

·
May I quote you on that?
22,036 Posts
Doubt if it's fixable. Mute has different meanings to different folks. When I was selling audio equipment, many units would mute 20dB, not cut completely off.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
High end stereo equipment has always just put a step down function with it's mute. You're just used to cheap stereo equipment, that's all. :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
It's fine. If you need the stereo off - it's about an 8" reach from the gearshift to the power button. I'm not that lazy yet...
Dan

·
May I quote you on that?
22,036 Posts
GTOME said:
Sometimes when I make a turn (usally left) the stereo will get louder. Just started 2 days ago
Could you be brushing against the controls on the wheel? I inadvertently hit one of the function keys all the time. Sometimes even while I'm driving :sneaky:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most professional audiophiles would argue in favor of indygtoqs on this one. "mute" is a term generally accepted to mean a complete interruption of signal... silence; whereas, what you're all experiencing with your factory installed Blaupunkts is known as "dampening" or "padding" of the signal. Although it was never a show-stopper to me and my new goat, it did strike me as a little odd that when I hit the mute button, it didn't actually do what I expected it to do. Oh well. Rock on, I say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Me, I could care less about the mute button... I don't use it... what I DON'T like about the factory stereo is: 1) the limiter & 2) the adaptive volume. I'm gonna either figure out a way to bypass or defeat the limiter/autovol. or replace the stereo completely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mute usually means "silent". On the Pass Pearl phono preamp I'm building, the mute switch connects the output to ground - no signal. Obviously Blaupunkt has a different idea.....I wonder if this can be "personalized" also ?? How does this stereo sound relative to one of the better Bose set-up's ? (My wife's Bose / Infiniti sounds pretty good.....)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't know about comparing it to bose - but it sounds pretty good. That is the times I leave it on. I find myself turning it off to listen to the car a lot...
Dan

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
I don't know about comparing it to bose - but it sounds pretty good. That is the times I leave it on. I find myself turning it off to listen to the car a lot...
Dan
Ditto that Dan..

Mute on most of my systems have been a 20db drop in volume. Mute does not mean silence to a musican. When I mute the strings on a gutair it is simply quiter (I'm far from a real Musician). When my buddy used a mute on his trumpet in high school it quieted it down a bunch and gave him a cool wa-wa effect. Thank god we don't get the cool wa-wa effect......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.