LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mute button on the GTO will not mute the radio, it only turns it down quite a bit. I took it into the dealer and they said that Pontiac is calling it a design function and it isn't designed to mute the radio.
Now, my feeling-- a bull shit response. Mute should mean mute, not down a little.
I will be writing Pontiac. I would like to encourage all of you to do the same so that we can get this issue addressed-
Pontiac Motor Divsion
PO BOX 33172 - GTO Quality Assurance
Detroit, MI 48232-5172

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Doubt if it's fixable. Mute has different meanings to different folks. When I was selling audio equipment, many units would mute 20dB, not cut completely off.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
High end stereo equipment has always just put a step down function with it's mute. You're just used to cheap stereo equipment, that's all. :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
It's fine. If you need the stereo off - it's about an 8" reach from the gearshift to the power button. I'm not that lazy yet...
Dan

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Mine has an auto mute function, you'll be driving down the road enjoying your favorite tune and then nothing, the LCD will still look the same, but no sound, WTF?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
GTOME said:
Sometimes when I make a turn (usally left) the stereo will get louder. Just started 2 days ago
Could you be brushing against the controls on the wheel? I inadvertently hit one of the function keys all the time. Sometimes even while I'm driving :sneaky:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most professional audiophiles would argue in favor of indygtoqs on this one. "mute" is a term generally accepted to mean a complete interruption of signal... silence; whereas, what you're all experiencing with your factory installed Blaupunkts is known as "dampening" or "padding" of the signal. Although it was never a show-stopper to me and my new goat, it did strike me as a little odd that when I hit the mute button, it didn't actually do what I expected it to do. Oh well. Rock on, I say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Me, I could care less about the mute button... I don't use it... what I DON'T like about the factory stereo is: 1) the limiter & 2) the adaptive volume. I'm gonna either figure out a way to bypass or defeat the limiter/autovol. or replace the stereo completely.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
LadyGoat - they are both able to be turned on or off in the 'personalizing' menu, IIRC.
Dan

·
Registered
65 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
LadyGoat - they are both able to be turned on or off in the 'personalizing' menu, IIRC.
Dan
Thanks Dan, guess I'd better spend some more time in the manual... been having too much fun just driving it!

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I guess I got an advantage having a few 'snow days' after buying the car...
At least they are gone now!
Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mute usually means "silent". On the Pass Pearl phono preamp I'm building, the mute switch connects the output to ground - no signal. Obviously Blaupunkt has a different idea.....I wonder if this can be "personalized" also ?? How does this stereo sound relative to one of the better Bose set-up's ? (My wife's Bose / Infiniti sounds pretty good.....)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't know about comparing it to bose - but it sounds pretty good. That is the times I leave it on. I find myself turning it off to listen to the car a lot...
Dan

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
I don't know about comparing it to bose - but it sounds pretty good. That is the times I leave it on. I find myself turning it off to listen to the car a lot...
Dan
Ditto that Dan..

Mute on most of my systems have been a 20db drop in volume. Mute does not mean silence to a musican. When I mute the strings on a gutair it is simply quiter (I'm far from a real Musician). When my buddy used a mute on his trumpet in high school it quieted it down a bunch and gave him a cool wa-wa effect. Thank god we don't get the cool wa-wa effect......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts