LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members, just registered here today! I am Charles, 32 years old, from Brockville Ontario Canada. My first car ever was a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix LE, followed by a 2004 Grand Prix GTP, a 1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo, a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT and finally a 2020 Subaru BRZ TS.

Can you spot the one that got away? It's also the one on my avatar, my beloved G8 GT. I really miss this car. It had an aggressive BTR Stage 3 Cam, upgraded differential and gears, and all the supporting mods. I sold it mainly because it was a little too aggressive and....you guessed it...automatic.

I now own a 2020 Subaru BRZ TS, limited edition, only 50 produced in Canada. The vehicle is a blast to drive, handles like a dream, but it's just not me. I do miss the V8, the sound, the experience. I might sell this car privately or trade it in if I find what I am looking for.

So my search begins. I am looking for a LS2 M6 Pontiac GTO, preferably bone stock, either Impulse Blue Metallic, Phantom Black Metallic or Torrid Red, with sub 30K mileage.

No rush. I plan on taking possession of the right car next spring once I can look at it in person, test drive it, etc. I am looking for a well maintained vehicle, one that the owner took pride in it. I will make sure to follow in the foot steps and give it all the respect it deserves.

I am looking for my endgame car, my last project car ever, that I will be keeping until I am not able to drive anymore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To add there's also Ebay seen a few with low miles also but as stated above me that are going for premium pricing.

Good luck

·
Seriously?
1,863 Posts
And I will also add... don't get hung up on the LS2 and ignore a 2004 LS1 car, especially one that is in the condition you are describing that you are seeking. While there were more 2005 and 2006 cars produced than 2004s, before too long it is going to get very difficult to find a clean, low mileage GTO period. I see this "I only want an LS2 GTO" all the time and it feels like the 2004 isn't worthy of ownership to anyone. Rant over... good luck in your search.

·
Worthless reject member
50,317 Posts
And I will also add... don't get hung up on the LS2 and ignore a 2004 LS1 car, especially one that is in the condition you are describing that you are seeking. While there were more 2005 and 2006 cars produced than 2004s, before too long it is going to get very difficult to find a clean, low mileage GTO period. I see this "I only want an LS2 GTO" all the time and it feels like the 2004 isn't worthy of ownership to anyone. Rant over... good luck in your search.
i agree.

looking back, i wish i had kept my 05 relatively stock and went full racecar with my 04 instead. Especially if you are considering a level of modification in excess of FBO or a cam swap and heads, there's no reason to discount the 04 model year.

the .3L of displacement only really matters if you decide to stay naturally aspirated and stick with the stock shortblock. they are the exact same car with the exception of quite a few small details. you won't miss the drive by wire. the p59 ecm has more support than the e40, especially if you want to do boost. as far as boost goes, the LS1's in the GTO's have the same bottom end guts as the LS2, believe it or not. Gen IV rods. steelchicken has boosted his gto to 700 whp with the stock short block. the suspension on all 3 year models is pretty much exactly the same. things like axles and driveshaft are different, but you will be replacing those anyway, so no matter. you'll rip out the stock cooling system anyway since the OE radiators are garbage, and replacing it with 05/06 system is a cinch.

plenty of other small details, such as slight differences in the brake line routing/different abs system, different door light switches, different a/c lines, different trunk release solenoid... but those can all be dealt with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Facebook and Craigslist... I've seen quite a few 05/06 goats with 30k or less mileage. But they're mostly listed at $25k or more.
I was mainly looking at Edmunds and Carfax, but I will look there as well. That's the price I'm expecting to pay for one with low mileage and in good condition. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To add there's also Ebay seen a few with low miles also but as stated above me that are going for premium pricing.

Good luck
Thank you for sharing this!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do bring up a very good point. I believe the LS2 is a tad better engine, but you are right on the timing and the fact that soon enough they will be truly hard to find. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree.

looking back, i wish i had kept my 05 relatively stock and went full racecar with my 04 instead. Especially if you are considering a level of modification in excess of FBO or a cam swap and heads, there's no reason to discount the 04 model year.

the .3L of displacement only really matters if you decide to stay naturally aspirated and stick with the stock shortblock. they are the exact same car with the exception of quite a few small details. you won't miss the drive by wire. the p59 ecm has more support than the e40, especially if you want to do boost. as far as boost goes, the LS1's in the GTO's have the same bottom end guts as the LS2, believe it or not. Gen IV rods. steelchicken has boosted his gto to 700 whp with the stock short block. the suspension on all 3 year models is pretty much exactly the same. things like axles and driveshaft are different, but you will be replacing those anyway, so no matter. you'll rip out the stock cooling system anyway since the OE radiators are garbage, and replacing it with 05/06 system is a cinch.

plenty of other small details, such as slight differences in the brake line routing/different abs system, different door light switches, different a/c lines, different trunk release solenoid... but those can all be dealt with.
Thank you for all of this very useful information! My plan will be to stay naturally aspirated, while upgrading suspension, bushings, exhaust, heads, cam (mild this time), lifters, cooling. My plan is to find a LS2, but I will not discount the LS1, absolutely.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You do bring up a very good point. I believe the LS2 is a tad better engine, but you are right on the timing and the fact that soon enough they will be truly hard to find. Thanks for the insight!
You'll see some LS1 engines puting out some good numbers. Mine with just an Xair intake and exhaust dynoed a 351/364 rwhp/rwtq and the engine had 112K on it. So the ls1 if you find a well kept one will perform.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Good luck
I tried to buy an 05 red full SAP with 28k miles from them earlier this year. They sat on it for 6+ months without willing negotiate. They had it listed for 27k and wouldn't go less than 26k. Nice enough people, but not much negotiating to be had with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
/https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/572958027484960/?ref=facebook_story_share

Just a quick search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'll see some LS1 engines puting out some good numbers. Mine with just an Xair intake and exhaust dynoed a 351/364 rwhp/rwtq and the engine had 112K on it. So the ls1 if you find a well kept one will perform.
Since I want to remain NA, I feel the LS2 is still the superior engine, even if both are great platforms to work with. But I totally understand your point!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
/https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/572958027484960/?ref=facebook_story_share

Just a quick search.
Thanks for posting this, I guess I will have to create a Facebook account as I don't have social media. I would really like to find a stock one though. I know, I am picky.... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to buy an 05 red full SAP with 28k miles from them earlier this year. They sat on it for 6+ months without willing negotiate. They had it listed for 27k and wouldn't go less than 26k. Nice enough people, but not much negotiating to be had with them.
I think 26K would have been a fair deal, but that is perhaps just me. If it sat there for a few months, perhaps 24K.

·
Worthless reject member
50,317 Posts
I've thought about giving them a visit, too, since they are close enough to me. All of the GTO's they've had listed had seemed in nice condition, but you can only judge so much from pictures.

·
Is that FWD?
1,274 Posts
I bought my 04 in 2004. I prefer the hood scoops and split exhaust. I ended up doing Banshee hood and split my exhaust. With my heads, cam, fast intake and other mods I am close to 550hp at crank. Which can easily be done with 04, or 05/06. I just hit 30,000 miles on mine after 17 years of ownership and still probably the best and most fun car I have ever owned. Good luck in whatever you find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought my 04 in 2004. I prefer the hood scoops and split exhaust. I ended up doing Banshee hood and split my exhaust. With my heads, cam, fast intake and other mods I am close to 550hp at crank. Which can easily be done with 04, or 05/06. I just hit 30,000 miles on mine after 17 years of ownership and still probably the best and most fun car I have ever owned. Good luck in whatever you find.
Thanks for that reply. Those are impressive numbers. Glad to hear you kept this car for a long time and it is still very enjoyable!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts