LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Seriously?
1,865 Posts
Same here... original owner since brand new in 2004. They will probably bury me in it. I've modified mine in spurts with this past year being the most productive. Got more plans for it, but not much more. Definitely one of the coolest cars I have ever owned and the pricing today is starting to reflect the rarity and simplicity of the GTO. The car media back in 2004 got this car wrong, and I for one, am glad they did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same here... original owner since brand new in 2004. They will probably bury me in it. I've modified mine in spurts with this past year being the most productive. Got more plans for it, but not much more. Definitely one of the coolest cars I have ever owned and the pricing today is starting to reflect the rarity and simplicity of the GTO. The car media back in 2004 got this car wrong, and I for one, am glad they did.
Agreed the GTO was the most underrated vehicle of the time. In 04 it was all about the C5Z and the Cobra Termies and the GTO ran under the radar. I for one Im glad it did too and now you see GTOs demanding the same price as the Zs and Cobras with same milage. Who would have thought. Me getting mine for 7400 with110K on the clock the guy definitely did not know what he had. Especially after I dynoed it and with just an Xair and headers I ran the numbers I did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quick question. I did some browsing and found a few vehicles I would be interested in, which are all below 50K miles. Anything to be on the lookout for regarding those vehicles?

·
Is that FWD?
1,275 Posts
Quick question. I did some browsing and found a few vehicles I would be interested in, which are all below 50K miles. Anything to be on the lookout for regarding those vehicles?
All suspension parts and fluids as they might not have been changed at low mileage. Belts and hoses. I bought my GTO in 2004 new and it still only has 30,000 miles on it. All my rubber bushings were shot, upgrading as much of suspension really makes the GTO drive so much better.

Reactions: SUSP3CT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
All suspension parts and fluids as they might not have been changed at low mileage. Belts and hoses. I bought my GTO in 2004 new and it still only has 30,000 miles on it. All my rubber bushings were shot, upgrading as much of suspension really makes the GTO drive so much better.
I planned on swapping all stock bushings eventually for polyurethane. Belts and hoses are a must indeed. Thank you for the information!

·
Seriously?
1,865 Posts
As stated, definitely ask about the maintenance and service history. The suspension wasn't the best from day 1, so if none of it has been replaced, set some money aside for that. For low mileage cars, check the date codes on the tires. The tires on my car are 18 years old, but you wouldn't know by appearance as they are not dry rotting or showing other signs of deterioration. (Yes, I ordered some new Bridgestones this weekend.)

If the fluids haven't been done recently, put some money aside for that. They are all easy to do except for the clutch fluid, if there isn't an aftermarket bleeder installed.

Other things to look for are the seats... back seats near the head rests will split at seams, as will the driver seat at the outside bolsters. The headliner could also be sagging as age will just set in. My stock driver side floor mat deteriorated where the rubber mid section met the carpet (age? bad luck?), so I ordered a set of Lloyds embroidered mats. My seats are perfect (tinted windows, 98% garage kept) and my headliner is starting to droop on the driver's side front.

The factory Holden paint is rather thin, so rock chips and other imperfections will likely be more noticeable and apparent. Check the front bumper where it meets the fenders... they tend to not line up and the mounting clips that break are to blame. Door handles tend to peel paint, check the headlights out for wear and damage. New stock ones are all but NLA and very expensive. Check the truck panel where the license plate goes... these tend to break or get loose from shutting the trunk too hard.

All else will be typical used car due diligence. Some factory parts are no longer available new, and some are not available aftermarket, so used will be your only option. Some GTO specific parts are ridiculously expensive, most LS1 or 2 drivetrain parts are readily abundant and cheaply to moderately priced. So my best advice to you, or anyone looking for a GTO... look it over really well and be prepared to accept that some repairs that you think are minor might not be when it comes to this car. Find the best one that you can afford, regardless of the year and power train. No matter what, you are gonna drop some coin on some maintenance regardless of age, driveline, and mileage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As stated, definitely ask about the maintenance and service history. The suspension wasn't the best from day 1, so if none of it has been replaced, set some money aside for that. For low mileage cars, check the date codes on the tires. The tires on my car are 18 years old, but you wouldn't know by appearance as they are not dry rotting or showing other signs of deterioration. (Yes, I ordered some new Bridgestones this weekend.)

If the fluids haven't been done recently, put some money aside for that. They are all easy to do except for the clutch fluid, if there isn't an aftermarket bleeder installed.

Other things to look for are the seats... back seats near the head rests will split at seams, as will the driver seat at the outside bolsters. The headliner could also be sagging as age will just set in. My stock driver side floor mat deteriorated where the rubber mid section met the carpet (age? bad luck?), so I ordered a set of Lloyds embroidered mats. My seats are perfect (tinted windows, 98% garage kept) and my headliner is starting to droop on the driver's side front.

The factory Holden paint is rather thin, so rock chips and other imperfections will likely be more noticeable and apparent. Check the front bumper where it meets the fenders... they tend to not line up and the mounting clips that break are to blame. Door handles tend to peel paint, check the headlights out for wear and damage. New stock ones are all but NLA and very expensive. Check the truck panel where the license plate goes... these tend to break or get loose from shutting the trunk too hard.

All else will be typical used car due diligence. Some factory parts are no longer available new, and some are not available aftermarket, so used will be your only option. Some GTO specific parts are ridiculously expensive, most LS1 or 2 drivetrain parts are readily abundant and cheaply to moderately priced. So my best advice to you, or anyone looking for a GTO... look it over really well and be prepared to accept that some repairs that you think are minor might not be when it comes to this car. Find the best one that you can afford, regardless of the year and power train. No matter what, you are gonna drop some coin on some maintenance regardless of age, driveline, and mileage.
Thank you for this very detailed reply. My goal will indeed be to focus on fluids, spark plugs and wires, suspension bushings, and paint fix (ceramic coating) the first year. I will enjoy the car in stock form for at least a year and then move on to headers, exhaust, air intake, short shifter the second year and so on.

I had a 09 G8, it wasn't too hard finding parts two years ago, but it might be a different game for the GTO. Especially if you get into an accident, which, knock on wood, hopefully does not happen I know trim parts can be very hard to find sometimes as well.

·
Seriously?
1,865 Posts
I did some research and found this one, seems lightly modded....but the Black and SAP package....:love:

Love the 17" stock wheels, the SAP, and the gauges. That would save me a few bucks down the road as well.

That has the stock 18s on it...

JHP gauges, 18" wheels, 6 speed, SAP, low miles...

If my 04 got totaled right now, that car would be high on my list of replacements. I think it is priced fairly, maybe slightly high. Nice car nonetheless...

Reactions: bo06gto and SUSP3CT

·
Seriously?
1,865 Posts
Here's another very low mile 05 GTO M6. Looks ideal 🤘🏽

Nice one also...

Reactions: SUSP3CT and bo06gto

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
677 Posts
Just keep in mind some of those super low mileage cars can have some issues. I've seen a few that were NEVER driven and the oil just sludged up in the engine because of lack of maintenance and so forth. Also check for stuff rotting and things like that. If the car sat for say 5 years not moving or maintained or started there could be crap that is going on due to just nothing getting used.......

Sometimes a car that was driven 5k miles a year and maintained well may be in better mechanical shape than these ones just mothballed away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That has the stock 18s on it...

JHP gauges, 18" wheels, 6 speed, SAP, low miles...

If my 04 got totaled right now, that car would be high on my list of replacements. I think it is priced fairly, maybe slightly high. Nice car nonetheless...
You are absolutely right, 18s my mistake!

It is quite the gorgeous car. I will be in touch with a broker today and see what I can do about it...we shall see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just keep in mind some of those super low mileage cars can have some issues. I've seen a few that were NEVER driven and the oil just sludged up in the engine because of lack of maintenance and so forth. Also check for stuff rotting and things like that. If the car sat for say 5 years not moving or maintained or started there could be crap that is going on due to just nothing getting used.......

Sometimes a car that was driven 5k miles a year and maintained well may be in better mechanical shape than these ones just mothballed away.
Could not agree with you more. Cars are meant to be driven and sometimes not using them is actually worse than driving them properly and regularly. Things dry, crack and rot, absolutely. Thanks for the heads up! I would actually rather see it in person also instead of sending someone to get it, especially at that price point. Doing transactions in the winter sucks for Canadian people.

Also a member kindly reached out here and is possibly interested in selling his come spring time....I'd rather buy from a private than a dealer to be honest.

Thanks for the kind reply!

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
They'd have to fix the sagging glove box for that price.
It does look good though.
Mine does that.

I rarely drive mine these days, I have about 18K on the clock since new in 2006. If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd probably have sold it years ago.

Reactions: SUSP3CT
21 - 40 of 44 Posts