LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i asked the seller for more detailed pics of the installation. i will post anything i get.
this could be a good compromise for those of us in the "2 plate states"

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
this is the response i got:

I don't have pics. Involves drilling 4 holes on the underside of the air dam, installing the fasteners, and then attaching the bracket.
so it sounds like you still have to drill holes in your fascia, but they are just out of sight. so this better than the dealer installed option, but it is still not a "hole free" option :rolleyes:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Funny, I was thinking of making the same thing after D7 got his ticket. I even have a version skeched up... Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out a "No Drilling" option.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Funny, I was thinking of making the same thing after D7 got his ticket. I even have a version skeched up... Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out a "No Drilling" option.
im still planning on trimming the bottom off of my plate and zip tying it into the bottom grill. i hope this solves the problem. (i'm alittle concerned that there is some unkown law about altering your plates, i guess i will find out soon enough)

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I beleive there is a law against altering the plate. Try to do it w/ out removing any wording or lettering.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I beleive there is a law against altering the plate. Try to do it w/ out removing any wording or lettering.
yeah, thats what i figured. im hoping that if i can cut off right below the actual letters and still fit it in there. i will have to take some measurements and see.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Zip ties work great. Why spend the money? I also used four of those clear self-adhesive cusions for cabinet doors. Stuck 'em on the back of the factory bracket so the bracket wouldn't touch/scratch the paint.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
tdimasi said:
Zip ties work great. Why spend the money? I also used four of those clear self-adhesive cusions for cabinet doors. Stuck 'em on the back of the factory bracket so the bracket wouldn't touch/scratch the paint.
this is EXACTLY what i plan to do. thanks :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought a T&A Performance GTO Bracket

Guys (and Gals!)

I just bought one of these brackets off of T&A Performance Specialties (tandaperformance.com) web site. Took Gianni's recommendation and ran with it (thanks!). I had it installed on my GTO in less than 30 minutes.

The bracket is aluminum and pretty thick (I can't bend it with my hands but I am not Arnold either). The bracket looks to be all machine made (pressed, stamped, etc.) likely on a CNC machine? To install, you drill four 3/8 inch holes into the underside of the fascia, install the inserts into the holes, attach the bracket, and then tighten up with the stainless steel screws provided with the kit. I had thought about making something similar, but for me, the cost would be close to the same if I could find this grade of aluminum, the inserts, etc. and frankly, it wouldn't be as nicely machined as this is. I have a good jigsaw and a drill press,,,but bending would have to be via a 2x4!!

As far as a no-holes option, I can't see how you could do it with all the polyurethane in the way!! 350 ponies and all this plastic...no wonder these are so quick!! And cut up my license plate...don't know about you guys, but I paid alot for my plates and there is no way I am cutting into them!!

Anyway, for what its worth. I am thinking of taking it off this weekend and paint it with a can of matching DupliColor as they suggest from the Checker store. Then again, I kinda like the aluminum look as well....too many choices.....

Take care. Hope this helps. :eek2:

Jim

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
This smells like a sales pitch to me! Way too many Exclamation!!! points! Nobody is this syked about a freaking bracket! Reads like an add! Nice Freaking testimonial! Time to apply for a job at the shopping network! First Post and we are selling stuff! The worst part is,

I think it may be a good and useful product!

Jim!!! said:
As far as a no-holes option, I can't see how you could do it with all the polyurethane in the way!! 350 ponies and all this plastic...no wonder these are so quick!! And cut up my license plate...don't know about you guys, but I paid allot for my plates and there is no way I am cutting into them!!
Nice way to argue against competition! Almost transparent! Don't cut your plates! they cost you way too much compared to a new bumper! No Drill option?! Not a chance! Guess What??!!! I may just have to put out a no drill option to spite the fool!!!!!!!!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
bigbrowndog said:
Guys (and Gals!)

And cut up my license plate...don't know about you guys, but I paid alot for my plates and there is no way I am cutting into them!!

Jim
paid alot of money for plates? you talk as if it was your choice to purchase your plates. i dunno about you, but the only reason i purchased two plates is b/c the states tells me i have to. now im trying to figure out the cheapest HOLE FREE way to get around b/c i dont want a ticket.

thanks for the review. but i agree with 68, sounds like a sales pitch. :sneaky: :sneaky:

·
Registered
7 Posts
:huh: You guys "asked for help" and were interested in learning more about how this T&A bracket was installed...so don't shoot the messenger man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
And yes, I like exclamation points...happen to be in sales and marketing for a living (but NOT for these guys), so perhaps it spills over into my personal life sometimes when I find something I like...

I also like TIVO, so let me promote them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also purchased this item. The quality of the aluminum is good and I don't think I would be able to duplicate it for the same cost. If you have to run a front plate I feel this is a good alternative to the zip tie method. The holes that you drill to install the bracket are under the front fascia so even if you remove the bracket later on,you won't see the holes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm assuming the holes are in the very bottom of the fascia, underneath the lower grille opening and not under the upper part of the lower grille opening?
How about some pics?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
bigbrowndog said:
:huh: You guys "asked for help" and were interested in learning more about how this T&A bracket was installed...so don't shoot the messenger man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
And yes, I like exclamation points...happen to be in sales and marketing for a living (but NOT for these guys), so perhaps it spills over into my personal life sometimes when I find something I like...

I also like TIVO, so let me promote them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry BBD, I still don't buy it. When a person's first and only post revolves around an 'Amazing! Wonderful! Life Changing!' new product, it is hard to convince me that they are not selling that product. Nobody here asked for help. Gianni D found something useful and ran it up the flag pole to see who saluted. You came in and crammed it up our collective as*es with a hardy "Hi-de-ho!"

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, tastes like Shi7. Its' a duck.

This site is made possible by the sponsor ship of many fine vendors. Because of that we protect their turf and do not allow advertising by non-sponsoring vendors. If a site member finds a useful product they are welcome to post, especially from small, self made distributors. But blatant self-promotion is not tolerated.

And if you want to be taken seriously, exclamation points are the equivalent of a crocodile's smile. Nobody trusts them. Most of the time they are used to indicate sarcasm. You will find entire novels without one "!".

·
Registered
7 Posts
sxty8goats-
It is clear that you have an opinion on everything. Over 1,600 posts since April of this year.

I have been "lurking" and learning a lot on this board for quite some time now. Because of what I learned on this forum, I bought my GTO. Then when I finally decide to register and have something to say in response to comments from others and hopefully "add some value" , it does not surprise me to see you chime in with your opinion.

You are entitled to that, as much as I am entitled to post a review of a product that I happen to like for those that are interested. I have seen other "veterans" of this board do so in the past with no negatives from you or others. What is this, pick on the new guy? Does one have to have 1600 posts to be allowed to talk about a product they have purchased on this forum? So I had fun with writing the product review. It was late, I had a few drinks, and preparing marketing/advertising literature is part of what I do for a living. Is this really a problem for you? I could have easily said: I bought one of these brackets and I like it. But that would not have been a whole lot of help for folks. And, if you must know, I work for a software firm...so in other words you are dead wrong.

I am done with this issue, so think and write what you want. I don't need to defend my post anymore or listen to your accusations. I have better things to do with my time.

Jim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts