LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for our GTO how long of a life have any of you running one gotten out of it....have you had any issues?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Are you talking about the stock water pump or the aftermarket electric, kinda confused by what your asking? I don't know of anyone thats had one for very long. I know they say something like 2k hours or something like that, but like I said I don't know of anyone thats had one wear out on them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aftermarket electric one..... thats what im worried about i didn't start thinking about it till latley they really don't have a great live span 2,3k hours i believe?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The Meziere is rated at 5K hours AFAIK

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what make the life of them shorter than a non E. water pump? what wears them out faster?

·
Registered
995 Posts
If it is 5k hours thats gonna take a while to wear out. You would have to drive your car 24/7 for 14-15 years to wear it out. I have seen one or two posts that back up the hp gains also. Someone dyno'd one and it made something like 15rwhp.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
I think your math is off there

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was just messing around! I don't think anyone is gonna drive their car that much!:D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nemisis said:
If it is 5k hours thats gonna take a while to wear out. You would have to drive your car 24/7 for 14-15 years to wear it out. I have seen one or two posts that back up the hp gains also. Someone dyno'd one and it made something like 15rwhp.
yes 15rwhp sound about right were going to do the Ewater pump and a ported fast 90 on the dyno been seeing 15-20 out of it and a tune. so going conservitly 10 on the ewater pump and 10-15 on the fast90 and a tune should get me to low mid 490s but 500rwhp will be great!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I really was gonna try for 500rwhp on stock block but it didn't happen that way:D I made 481/425 through the stock catback, I think with the cutouts open, EWP and porting the FAST90 it would have exceeded 500 fairly easy, but oh well. Good luck with your setup and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nemisis said:
I really was gonna try for 500rwhp on stock block but it didn't happen that way:D I made 481/425 through the stock catback, I think with the cutouts open, EWP and porting the FAST90 it would have exceeded 500 fairly easy, but oh well. Good luck with your setup and keep us posted.
will do as long as i have the funds i hope to have them on by sometime in november and retuned...but with xmas coming up im not sure how much i have to throw in it right now..

·
efilive evangalist
167 Posts
A standard working year is 2000 hours. 5 days x 8 hrs x 50 weeks.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Electric pumps are especially good for supercharged cars. That 15 HP reduction makes life easier for an already overstressed serpentine belt and reduces side load on the main bearings. Also, heat soak at idle is substantially reduced. At the track, you can cool down quickly between runs.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is Meziere about the only one for the GTO...why would they not come stock with and electric one?

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
luke0927 said:
is Meziere about the only one for the GTO...why would they not come stock with and electric one?
More realistic numbers...

5000 hours and say you drive 2 hours per day = 7 years of life (not unrealistic for some that have hour commutes to work every day).

What is the life of the stock pump.....life of the engine or so?

How reliable are these compared to stock?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great thats better than i thought i was thinking 2-3k hrs

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
luke0927 said:
They're quite a bit more expensive than a mechanical pump. Another interesting pump is the Davies Craig EWP and an interesting controller that allows you to vary the temp electonically. It does not use a conventional thermostat, but rather varies the coolant flow. The life is not rated as long as the Meziere, but it's cheaper to replace. You retain the mechanical pump, but gut the impeller.

·
TBYRNE Performance
4,529 Posts
You can expect about 10hp fron the EWP. 15 would kind of be on the high side. This info might be helpful -

Track, dyno, and most importantly, street testing, has proved engines run cooler at low speeds and gain high end horsepower when running Meziere's bolt on LS1/LS2 pump. In addition to the released power, you get to keep all of your factory accessories. Taking quality to the extreme, the WP319 features a dual bearing belt idler, billet parts throughout, and a “weather-tite” electrical connection. The pump is backed by a two-year warranty. If you own GM’s hottest cars, you need Meziere’s newest, coolest pump.

Features:

Purpose built for street use – 3000+ hour life expectancy.
Fully polished or anodized in your choice of 4 colors (Black,Blue,Red,Natural).
Chrome upgrade available.
55 GPM free flowing rating.
All stainless steel hardware included.
Heater and bypass provisions.
Light weight. Complete standard LS-1 unit weighs only 14.9 pounds!
Stainless steel large diameter main shaft with high performance ceramic seal.
Inlet fitting supplied to match stock configuration.
Easy install - truly a "bolt-on" pump.
Full two year warranty - the best in the business!
Finishing The System:
This pump is supplied complete with gaskets and hardware, complete and ready to bolt on. The only additional item you will need is a standard Chevrolet thermostat if you desire to use one. It will install behind the exit fitting located above the idler pulley.

Amperage draw:
Under normal use the pump will draw 11-12 amps.

Overall Height Dimension:
The standard pump is 7.88" long from the mounting surface to the tip of the pump.

I recently installed one on my C6 and have been keeping an eye on the coolant temp. It used to be between 195-202 during normal driving on the highway. It now stays in the 165-172 range. This is alslo with the 160 thermo that we include.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Either way you're using engine effort to pump coolant. You're either turning the pump itself or turning the alternator with additional effort to generate the power to turn the pump. Wouldn't it be trade off?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had a Mez on my 96 IMPalaSS(DD for 1year) and it was a quality unit. Never had a problem. I had it rigged on a switch so I could turn it on when the car was off. Didn't draw that much either because I was able to get 3passes with the belt pulled and the pump on with no ill affects. Had it on a year and in NYC traffic the car ran very cool and revved up much quicker(similar to an underdrive pulley).

Keep in mind that it flows the same at idle but and at WOT. On the ImpalaSS at WOT the mechanical pump flowed more GPH then the MEZ. but the cooling in the lanes and the freed up HP of the MEZ. negated that one advantage IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts