LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It's really Slow
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm guessing i have a lifter that is damage:banghead: When i was finishing tightening all the rockers and rotating the crank. Couple of turn it started to make a clicking sound which i didn't thought much. Well, the third time time i rotate it, the crank stop like a brick wall. I can still move it all most 360 but it stop hair short. I guess it will turn 359 then it stops!. Will i then look at all my springs and took off the rocker. What do i find, one of the spring is all the way up!. I can even push down on it. The number 3 cylinderr exhaust valve is damage. tomarrow i'll be taking the heads off to see the damage:( Here are couple of pic. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2635343670084901979LCbQky
What do you guys think? thanks

EDIT: I mean the Valve...sorry

·
Registered
308 Posts
Head broke off of valve?? Damn, Were they stock valves and also what valvesrings are you using? You runnin a trex cam?

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
I've seen titanium valve spring retainers sheer-off valve tops. The retainers are so hard, they sink into the valve stems over time. I hope you only have to replace 1 valve, but you should check all the others.

·
Suck it Trebek
1,502 Posts
Jontall said:
I've seen titanium valve spring retainers sheer-off valve tops. The retainers are so hard, they sink into the valve stems over time. I hope you only have to replace 1 valve, but you should check all the others.
If a retainer it touching a valve to begin with, you have problems.
:lol

Trex,

If it's sitting up like that it looks like you popped off the face of the valve.... you should be able to just grab that spring and pull it off along with the lock, retainer, and valve springs.... Either way the head has to come off for sure... If you were just turning it by hand it would take a bit of force to break a valve. It looks like those are new heads? What cam are you trying to run. P to V is most likely the issue and I am sure your lifters are fine. Although a very too long pushrod would do the same..... what size pushrods did you try to install and how many turns from zero lash were you getting from the stock rockers to 22ft/lbs?

·
It's really Slow
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam size is 230"/232" .595"/.585" 114LSA - The pushrod is TSP 7.40 pushrod (stock length) The springs are patriot performance gold dual springs. I'm using stock heads. When i was turning by hand their was no problem.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
What ever it is you are lucky it happened befor start up. Be sure the cam is timed correctly.

·
It's really Slow
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cam is lined up on the dot. It did break at the dish of the valve but i did notice their is a small nick on the piston. Is this going to give me trouble in the future? Dam my car is being a pain all a sudden. since then everything was able to be fixed fairly easy.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
I would sand out the nick so you don't have a hot spot. Turning it by hand nothing should bent or cracked unless you really put some power to it.

·
Suck it Trebek
1,502 Posts
Yeah the nick is fine.... check real close for hairline cracks and sand the nick down to remove edges....

So this happened on startup? If you turn the motor over by hand with actual springs... that does nothing to check clearance. The lifters will collapse under the pressure. But they will pump up to normal preload once oil pressure comes up. You have to check clearance with checker springs.
Regardless that cam should clear stock heads by a mile. Something is not right with that cam if you are CERTAIN you installed it dot to dot. Sounds like cam timing for sure. Might have to degree it to check (pain in the ass)

otherwise good time to upgrade the heads while you have it all apart ;)
http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102875

can't help it

·
It's really Slow
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. How easy or hard is it to change the lifter? IS it just drop and put in a new one or is their more then that? I'm planning to just repair it since i really want my car back up and running again:) Pluse i put way too much money already and i'm broke...I guess i'll be stopping by at fred beans sometime this week to order/pick one up. Thanks

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I'm confused- what is making you think you have lifter damage? For some reason or another, you have broken the valve face off- which is also why you could not turn the motor a full 360*- it would interfere with the piston at TDC. I don't see why you would think you have lifter damage?

It is very hard to break a valve head off turning a motor by hand- something does not seem right. Were these parts used? Did you assemble the heads yourself? It may even be something as simple as a defective valve if you have no signs of valve to piston clearance issues on any other cylinder- though, I don't think I have ever seen one break just turning it by hand. Something does not add up here.
Joe

·
It's really Slow
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about that. It's the Valve. I'm somewhat not happy and can't think right. When i was tighten the rocker on i turn the motor by hand couple of time and i did the next set. When i finished putting the next set on it started to make a clicking/taping sound. I didn't think much of the clicking sound, so i keep turning it until all of a sudden it wouldn't turn. I took off the rocker that i just tighten and i saw it up all the way up. Unless i'm dam superman and didn't feel it snag but i doubt it.
I wouldn't think i have a problem with clearance issues since i know alot of people use this cam on their cars. I think theirs a couple of gto running this cam.
Unless their is a issue...I don't know....i can't think right now. sorry. If all i have to replace the valve by just taking it out and replacing it, I will be fine. I just want to get this done. How hard is it to replace the Valve? thanks

·
Suck it Trebek
1,502 Posts
Yeah it should be too hard to replace just that valve.... a machine shop could do it for pretty cheap... <$50

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Getting into this a little late, sorry...

Find out exactly "what" cased the valve to break. If you can't find it, get a pro to look at it and get his/her advice. Though is sounds like a great idea to just drop another valve in the head, you have to find out what was the root cause for the failure orit's going to happen again. And possibly with more devistating results..

Was it a defective valve?

Where did it break? The valve head? The stem? You need to know in case you have "other" issues with the valvetrain.

I would also run your hand up and down the cylinder wall of the affected cylinder. The valve can/could contact all places inside there and may have nicked a cylinder wall. Also check the valve "seat" in the head. When the engine was turned over, the broken piece was hitting "something" in there to cause it to lock up.

Do not take this lightly. There has to be a major reason for this failure and you must find it, and fix it. I've bent my fair share of valves when racing and not a lot of them broke the valve head off. Most just tweaked the valve and damaged the valve seats. This is a major mechanical failure!

Ed

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
EDC said:
I've bent my fair share of valves when racing and not a lot of them broke the valve head off. Most just tweaked the valve and damaged the valve seats. This is a major mechanical failure!

Ed
That's why I said there has to be more to this and wanted to know if the parts were used or what the background was on the stuff. I just cannot see a valve head breaking off while turning a motor over by hand with no resistance at all. The only valves I have ever seen break were valves that had severe PTV contact at high rpm, valves that were slightly tweaked and were run at a high rpm bouncing sideways off the seat until it finally fatigued and the head came off and valves that were in a poorly installed (crooked) guide and the constant hammering closed with it being slightly crooked would cause the same problems as the last example.

It just makes no sense to me. This is almost along the lines of turning your motor over and having a rod break, just doesn't happen. What is the history on all these parts?

Joe

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
kwiktsi said:
It just makes no sense to me. This is almost along the lines of turning your motor over and having a rod break, just doesn't happen. What is the history on all these parts?

Joe

:shiner: :sneaky: that is possible. just get yourself too much fuel in one cylinder and fire it up :comp: yea that was a bad day.

the original poster should just feel damn lucky he found the problem before he fired it up.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that before- but he was turning this over by HAND- that is what I meant when I said it just doesn't happen :)..
Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts