LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That DAMN green MPH LED light and 3rd brake light

I saw in another thread that Old Goat had "strategically located" a piece of black tape to block off the annoying green MPH (and KPH) LEDs in the dash. I wasn't sure exactly how he did it, so today I did some digging around in the dash.

I pulled the dash and instrument panel apart. I very carefully lifted the red gauge face and slipped a piece of electrical tape over the LEDs. I did not remove the dials on any gauges. I pressed the gauge face firmly to make sure the tape was seated behind it and then reassembled the IP cluster. Now I see the dark letters but NO MORE DAMN GREEN, NON-DIMMING LED!!

While I was at it, I decided to disconnect the rear package shelf 3rd brake light. I have always hated the look of that. When the spoiler was added, there should have been a brake light delete panel put in. Since I was sitting there with my handy dandy roll of electrical tape, I decided to remedy the situation myself. I took the light assembly apart and covered the LEDs with tape. I cleaned it all up good and put it back together. Now I think it looks like a 3rd brake light delete panel is in there instead of seeing the clear LEDs. I guess I'll have to get my tint guys to redo the back window. :(

Diggs

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
ooohhhh I think I have time this weekend and my Helms manual in hand. Time for electrical tape Bright Light delete option.
:drink: :drink:

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dash

tbone3424 said:
how hard was it to get the dash apart?
Not hard at all. Pull your steering wheel out and down as low at it will go. There are two phillips screws in the top. Then the trim part comes loose at the top. Pivot it on out. You can undo the gas door release but I just let the trim piece hang to the left side. Then there are 4 phillips screws that hold the IP cluster in place. Do NOT let the screws fall when you loosen them. Lots of holes below for them to rattle around in. The wires to the back of the IP cluster are held by a single fitting. The connector is gray and there is a black piece that goes over it. Lift the black piece and it will pivot to one side and also lift the connector out. Next is the clear lense. It has a bunch of snap fittings all the way around. Next is 2 small torx screws. Then there are some more snap fittings you have to release to get the round parts that define each gauge off. Careful here - there are multiple parts that are held in place by those fittings. Next is very carefully taking a piece of electrcal tape about an inch long and stick just a tiny corner on a knife blade. Lift a bit on the gauge face and slide the tape under to cover the LEDs. Once you get it there you push on the gauge face so the tape sticks to the cluster underneath. No more LEDs!!

Putting it back together is the reverse of the above. One caution, make sure the holes in the gauge face are aligned over the alignment pins before you start snapping everything back together.

Enjoy!!

Diggs

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Had mine apart today to install radar leds...

and happened to take photos of the cluster while disassembled.

Front:

Rear:

As you can see the cluster is just a plastic sheet, be careful though, I considered covering the MPH while this was out and chickened out :D

·
2,137 Posts
BTW... you should retitle this thread to something like "Took care of the Damn MPH Light"

:p

Also... please find attached your new avatar ;)

·
2,137 Posts
The cluster gauge panel is enclosed in a plastic case... I wouldn't open it, the method diggs used is much less invasive (sp)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Wow you guys/gals are brave........I am afraid to take any of that apart for fear of rattling plastic afterward.......The light just does not irritate me that much......Plus I don't drive the goat much after dark.

·
2,137 Posts
I personally did not take this apart, the guy who installed my radar detector did... a guy with 13 years experiance :D

I was just standing by with my camera ;)

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
Huntress said:
I personally did not take this apart, the guy who installed my radar detector did... a guy with 13 years experiance :D

I was just standing by with my camera ;)
Got pics of the detector installation and finished look? oh please :thumbs: !!

·
2,137 Posts
I have to take pics of the final install... will do and revive my original post, because we are taking this one off topic ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Digs, I 'm sooo glad you did this. I'm not sure it's easy with that 500 word essay but mines coming out tomorrow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I fixed mine toooo....I just position my hand on the wheel in a spot that makes my forearm block the light from my eyes! VERY Non-Invasive! I really hate that damn thing though. They could just as well of mounted a spot-light to shine in our eyes instead of that stupid light! :rolleyes:

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Arm blocking?

Rocket said:
I fixed mine toooo....I just position my hand on the wheel in a spot that makes my forearm block the light from my eyes! VERY Non-Invasive! I really hate that damn thing though. They could just as well of mounted a spot-light to shine in our eyes instead of that stupid light! :rolleyes:
I tried to live with doing the same thing. I would invariably get the light as a distraction when I turned the wheel. That's why I had to get in there and "improve the car."

Diggs

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the Buick GN I used to own, I put in a custom instrument cluster and the dummy lights were too bright. I installed some window tint over the plastic and it dimmed the lights just enough so it wasn't so annoying. Maybe try the tint instead of the black tape so you still have the light. Lots of different shades available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I contacted Pontiac.com, owner feedback or something like that. Anyway, got a call from a staffer very interested in the info. she monitors all of the GTO calls I think. She stated Pontiac had not heard of complaints; I gave her this site. Long and the short is: no fix (yet) from dealers, but she is passing on to the design team. We talked about 20 minutes about car. Wheel hop, no holders for clothes bar in back seat, since no trunk, dash light, fuel tank or exhaust pipe clang, etc. I suggest we all get the emails to Pontiac, GTO. No complaints, just feedback.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I went one step further and removed the needles. And to answer the question I have seen asked many times. THEY ARE LEDs.

The two pictures show the before and after. I used three layers of 20% tint to cover the MPH led and two on the lights. It's not enough so next time I will go with something darker.

·
2,137 Posts
How hard were the needles to remove? I gave them a little tug while I had mine out, but was afraid to break them so I stopped.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts