LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are availible line locks for our cars? Has anyone installed one yet? Thanks.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
SLP has one. Have not installed one yet.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
SLP has got a kit out and I believe Padre was in the process of installing the same kit. Hopefully he will ring in.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I've got it (SLP's). Good product, good instructions. Just haven't had the time to install it. You have to bleed the brakes after the install, and that's a pain in my small garage. I'm going to give it a try this week.

Padre

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it look like a hard install for someone with limited amount of technical experience? I should be able to use my buddy's shop in Wichita, but I do not know how well he knows brakes. Also... as everyone always does, I have to ask about the $$..... Need to save up for my Nitto or BFG drag radials. :)

·
8,959 Posts
Well, if I can do it, anyone can. :) So I'll let you know. Doesn't look tough. You've got to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes, which is my problem in my small garage.

Cost was about $130, IIRC.

The line lock would really have helped me in Wichita - reviewing the videos, I don't think I got the tires sticky enough.

Padre

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that is my thinking, and I dont want to toast my breaks/clutch. 130 is not too bad of a price. Speaking of Videos, I am going to send you a PM.

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
I put an SLP roll control on an F-body. It's easy. SLP's website does say that minimal brake line modification is required. That could be anything from bending a line to cutting and building a new line. If it's the former you'll be okay. If it's the latter let a pro do it.

If you're using Kelly's shop ( Fast Cars) you're in good hands. He knows brakes pretty well.

-Chris

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kelly? I think that a Kelly works there, but I am going to be using Novacheck, if you know who that is. If it is cutting and building a new line, no way can I do it. Bending may be possible.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
do you have to remove both wheels? fronts or backs? if I can install jba headers could I do this job?

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would imagine fronts only, since that is the brakes that it locks. But I have no experience with line locks, just want one. Where does the switch go on the inside? Anyone?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Actually you can bleed it at the ABS modulator as that's where you will be installing one of SLP's pre-fabbed lines to. The line you'll replace is the line from the brake master cylinder to the ABS modulator. Essentially the line lock goes in between the two, so now you get a line that goes from the master cylinder, to the line lock solenoid, from the solenoid to the modulator. Since you have not introduced air anywhere from the modulator to the wheels, you can simply bleed one of the outputs on the modulator. I think I chose the left front (as that's was the shortest route to get it out) even though in actual bleeding you start at the wheel farthest away.

SLP's instructions good? LOL! I also have SLP's kit in my Camaro, the instructions say to put it one way (so I did), only to take it out to the industrial park and I may as well have just left the brakes off. that's how effective it was. Got online on LS1Tech, checkoud out a few SLP Linelock threads, only to find out the solenoid should be the other way. Went out, turned it around, re-bled, and it worked.

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lane, you are scaring me. I want one of these. How easy is the switch to use, and where does it go?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It is a simple toggle switch that you run the wiring through a hole in the firewall. In the case of the Camaro, there is a nice big hole behind the PCM on the passenger side firewall. So I snaked it through there. Don't worry, SLP provides plenty of wire. I installed it very stealth like....inside my ash tray. Since I don't smoke, I didn't care. So when not in use, I can close the ash tray door.

You come to a stop, pump the pedal a few times (to build pressure), While holding the pedal, flip the switch, then let off the brake pedal. Fronts are lock, rears are free for shredding. :D Or to heat and clean at the strip of course. :D

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Yea, the SLP line locks look very easy to install. Its on my top 10 list of mods near the top. Nothing is more fun than mad burnouts with line locks to assist. ;)

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
SLP's instructions good? LOL! I also have SLP's kit in my Camaro, the instructions say to put it one way (so I did), only to take it out to the industrial park and I may as well have just left the brakes off. that's how effective it was. Got online on LS1Tech, checkoud out a few SLP Linelock threads, only to find out the solenoid should be the other way. Went out, turned it around, re-bled, and it worked.
LOL! I had a Firehawk come through the shop that had an SLP roll control that the owner had installed. He installed it backwards, too, thanks to the instructions!

Warren, it's a different Kelly. I'm talking about Kelly McVey over at Fast Cars. If you want someone to install that roll control for you he's your guy. 316-269-9460.

-Chris

·
9 Second Club Member
471 Posts
I installed S L P linelock in my goat . It took around an hour and a half .
IT had excellent directions

·
8,959 Posts
BlewbyU said:
I installed S L P linelock in my goat . It took around an hour and a half .
IT had excellent directions
Did you bleed the brakes? That's the only thing holding me back from doing it myself.

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Did you bleed the brakes? That's the only thing holding me back from doing it myself.

Padre
Yes, but since I introduced air into the system BEFORE the ABS modulator, I bled it there (at the modulator) instead of at each wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts