LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TREAD HERE. LIMP HOME.
265 Posts
Is that 450/395 rear wheel or crank? For that $$ it better be rear wheel!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kenne Bell conducted an experiment that showed that LT headers did close to nothing on their two test cars (an 03 Cobra and Lightning) under 600rwHP....

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
LPE is worth the price because of the quality work. Now other shops can get you HP for cheaper BUT keep in mind that good engine work is NEVER cheap (unless you do it yourself or know someone).

THis is a crank HP rating i believe. 383 LS1 package gets around 440rwhp from LPE.

·
SOLD-04 & 06 Torrid Red GTO's
408 Posts
For LPE, the numbers are through the STOCK exhaust up to the muffler section...stock manifolds & cats. Put some headers, 3" cats, or off-road pipes, and you get the picture. Also, don't forget that they give a rather generous warranty and focus on durability and driveability vs. an "ultimate" dyno number.

I have dealt with them before and have been very happy with heads and camshafts from them for other cars including my 01 Formula (10.50 at 128). While not cheap, you don't get their reputation by accident. At the same time, if you want a full-tilt race motor vs. a street or stree-strip car, they can do that too.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
Lots of good shops around the country that can build very powerful LS1's for much less money. As someone said, you are paying for the name.

·
PC load letter?
236 Posts
In my opinion, Lingenfelter is a legendary name, especially when you talk about their Corvette packages. But still, 7000 bone for 100 ponies, not to mention it's all crank ponies, is rather high. Even with the name and reputation, I don't think it's worth it (a la BMW).

Sure, it'd be nice to say;

You: "Yeah Bob, just got the new Lingenfelter package in it. Bumped me up to 400."
Bob: "Nice, Is that crank or wheels?"
You: "Crank"
Bob: "How much that set you back?"
You: "Just the kid's college.........."

Point taken.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I wouldn't say 400rwhp is shabby, especially without LTs. The name itself will probably prevent you from having some races. :eek:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you want LPE, you want it for the name. His work is top notch (well not his personally anymore R.I.P.), however, you can far supercede their power levels for considerably cheaper and have just as much durability/driveability.

Sorry, I know several people who paid a lot of money for LPE stuff and for him to sign the underside of their hood, only to be outdynoed and out 1/4 miled by a no name set of h&c that I built myself on a hoist at a Chevy dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts