LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had the LPE GTO 350 CID engine package (450 hp, 395 ft lbs torque) installed? Certainly not an inexpensive modification, but given LPE's reputation for quality and performance, looks like a cost-effective alternative to trading in an '04 for an '05 just to get an extra 50 hp.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
They have an AWESOME reputation, don't get me wrong. But you can get better performance from other highly reputable shops for considerably cheaper. You're essentially paying for the name.

A perfect comparo for this were two identical '98 F-Body's. One member had a complete "turn key" Lingenfelter package (heads and cam). On the dyno he made only high 360's - low 370's. Another member (guess who :D ) had a heads and cam setup he bought (GTP H&C), installed by a friend and himself, sorted out all issues, and tuned it (before LS1Edit capabilities) himself. Having tuning issues (Serious timing retard), this person still outdynoed him by a good 15rwhp.

In the end, once this person had his tuning bugs worked out, he put down over 40 more at the rear wheels and nearly a second quicker in the 1/4 mile and spent less than half what the other guy spent.

Choose wisely! :)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Now piecing together what you want with a few Lingenfelter parts here and there is a wise idea still as everything they make is high quality. I plan on picking up their intake system myself.

·
HP Hack
94 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
They have an AWESOME reputation, don't get me wrong. But you can get better performance from other highly reputable shops for considerably cheaper. You're essentially paying for the name.

A perfect comparo for this were two identical '98 F-Body's. One member had a complete "turn key" Lingenfelter package (heads and cam). On the dyno he made only high 360's - low 370's. Another member (guess who :D ) had a heads and cam setup he bought (GTP H&C), installed by a friend and himself, sorted out all issues, and tuned it (before LS1Edit capabilities) himself. Having tuning issues (Serious timing retard), this person still outdynoed him by a good 15rwhp.

In the end, once this person had his tuning bugs worked out, he put down over 40 more at the rear wheels and nearly a second quicker in the 1/4 mile and spent less than half what the other guy spent.

Choose wisely! :)
Keep in mind there is more than one approach to our packages that many people fail to see. Are approach isn't to go out and impress people with numbers on a dyno. Sure, we could put more camshaft into the vehicle, and make better power numbers, but you have to ask yourself what are you sacrificing? In some respects, you will start sacrificing reliability, drivability, and possibly failing an emissions test. Not everyone is concerned with this, but we are, and we have to be. Also, some combinations that are chosen, make great peak numbers, but they don't give you anything down low to get the car moving. We have cars that make lower dyno numbers that smoke other cars in the quarter mile, that are essentially better dyno queens. If you want more out of a head and cam package, we can offer that to you as well. We currently have a head and cam package that can offer you over 420 RWHP if thats what you want. I wouldn't say its the most refined package, or the most drivable of our packages, but its not bad. All of this through factory cats. And yes it would be considered an "off road" package.

You are more than welcome to give me a call to discuss the pros and cons of whats available. We have been doing this for over 25 years, testing, developing, testing and developing. We know what it takes to make over 1000 hp out of a small block naturally aspirated, but that doesn't mean it would make a great street engine.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I have one problem with you folks at LPE, and it is a pretty serious one.

You guys are too damn far from me!!!

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Hey Jeff, any word on upcoming goodies planned for the LS2 GTO's? Seeing as i'm holding out for the 05 Goat, I hope to see at least a small handfull of bolt-on mods available not too long after it is released. Specificly for me it will be the LPE intake, but I wonder if LPE has ported heads or other nifty things in store for the LS2 you can tell us about?

·
HP Hack
94 Posts
Desert Goat,

I know that it stinks that we are a bit far away from you, but you might want to consider 21st Century Musclecars just outside of Dallas TX. They offer LPE products, and installs with 2yr/24000 miles if you are interested. In fact, it is John Lingenfelters daughter and her husband that run 21st. You would be suprised what we can offer for do it yourselfers as well.

CSiJason,

I know your anticipation for the LS2. The LS2 CNC'd heads should essentially be ready when you are ready to send your cores. In fact, I would have to double check, but I believe we already have a CNC program for them. As well any of the LS1/LS2 packages, we should be able to offer you a wide variety of very civil drivable combinations from 350 to 600 RWHP depending on what you want. If you want more, and a little wilder, I am sure we can entertain that as well.

As far as components for the LS2, we are working on some other items I am not allowed to discuss, but there are some promising nice products in the works. Products that do what we say they will do, in real world, apples for apples comparisons.

Sign up for our newsletter to be informed of upcoming press releases, new products, specials, and sales.

thank you!!

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Jeff's right. Once you sit down and price out apples to apples, they're really not any more expensive than anybody else. We went over this several times on the Impala forum. The guy above said he did his car for half what the other guy did, but GTP stage 2 heads are $2400; Lingenfelter's heads with bigger valves to match the GTP stage 2 heads are only $1900. The difference is Lingenfelter CNC's their heads. GTP didn't mention CNC on their website, so I assume the cost difference is due to having to hand-port every head.

·
dozlert
1,951 Posts
If I was a betting man, I would bet that LPE will build a throttle body adapter for a 4 to 3 bolt conversion. That way us LS1 owners can use the LS2 intake and the 90 mm throttle body. Jeff?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Jeff, assuming I have the money for LPE heads and a new LS2 GTO to play with, how would one go about tuning the new ECU's in the 05's? Does LPE have the means already to reprogram the ECU or does the stock maps have that much room to work with?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Jeff,

I agree completely. There is NOTHING wrong with a complete "turnkey" setup that you guys go through and work out EVERY bug. You guys do awesome work. I believe I stated that in the first sentence of my original comment. SO there is NO knocking your work WHATSOEVER!

I just rather do as much as possible myself, spend less, and achieve greater results that are just as reliable for less. That's all. I think many others here share that.

Also as an FYI, John (R.I.P.) and I spent many an hour on the phone with one another discussing what I did on my LS1 back in early '98 as mine was one of the first done in an F-Body at that time. So, once again, I am fully aware of the product(s) you offer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts