LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on getting my Goat back. Driving a 4cylinder chevy rental for two weeks, it's killing me. LPE already had 3 other 04 GTO they were working on when I dropped mine off.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
LPEGoat said:
Waiting on getting my Goat back. Driving a 4cylinder chevy rental for two weeks, it's killing me. LPE already had 3 other 04 GTO they were working on when I dropped mine off.
which package did you get??? we need pics!!!!

oh, duh. just read your avatar. nevermind. but we still need pics.

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LPE Specs WOW!

OK, here are the specs on my 04 Goat!
:eek2: Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
:eek2: Properly sized fuel injectors
:eek2: Fuel system upgrades
:eek2: Port & polished throttle body
Professional installation, testing and PCM tuning
LPE Hand held PCM programmer
Lingenfelter supercharged emblems
Chassis dyno test before and after installation
160 Degree thermostat
:eek2: LPE cold air induction system
:eek2: Corsa Pro series touring system
LPE coil covers - Red
Lloyds custom floor mats with LPE logo
:eek2: 2,800 stall torque converter

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
LPEGoat said:
:eek2: Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
:eek2: Properly sized fuel injectors
:eek2: Fuel system upgrades
:eek2: Port & polished throttle body
160 Degree thermostat
:eek2: LPE cold air induction system
:eek2: Corsa Pro series touring system
LPE coil covers - Red
:eek2: 2,800 stall torque converter
that should be a really sweet set up.
that would probably put you in mid 12's. ..... right??? maybe low 12's??

·
Ex SHO owner
316 Posts
For the money, I would want high 11's ;)

Great choice of companies to upgrade your GTO. Now just get a set of C5R Heads, custom ground camshaft from LPE, headers, exhaust, BMR suspension and drivetrain upgrades, Brake upgrades, and you'll be set!!!!

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aspect, I'm not looking to go drag racing just have a little fun. Are you purchasing all you listed for your GTO?

·
Ex SHO owner
316 Posts
First I must get my wife out of college or into a job that will pay for her college and get some extra $$$ coming in. Or if some contracts start coming into my company at a good rate!!! She should be done college early 06.

I want a low 10 second GTO. That would be my goal. But I want it to run as smooth as stock (no hesitation, smooth acceleration, mild mannered when not WOT). I don't want it to be a strictly 1/4 car. I like to rip up the back roads and to take it to the local tracks for fun.

I just sold my 95 SHO MTX and bought my wife a 2002 Grand Prix SE. Did that to position myself better towards getting my GTO. I am used to great back road fun with wonderful acceleration (not the best 1/4 car though). I don't want to loose that.

So with that said, I doubt I'll go 4.11 gears. Lowest would probably be 3.73 or left stock. I would want the LS2 block (lowered CR) with a Vortec SQ2 Series SC with an FMIC, custom cam, C5R heads, headers, exhaust, custom tuning. The suspension/drive train would get the BMR equipment and I'd see what I could do to upgrade the brakes a little (13.1 inch minimum). Basically, I'd like it so that even if a Terminator was packing a Kenny Bell, he'd be working overtime to stay with me :hail:

That's my Dream GTO. Mild mannered everyday car that at WOT will rip the doors off of the car next to me. I will try to make it a reality for myself!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Aspect said:
First I must get my wife out of college or into a job that will pay for her college and get some extra $$$ coming in. Or if some contracts start coming into my company at a good rate!!! She should be done college early 06.

I want a low 10 second GTO. That would be my goal. But I want it to run as smooth as stock (no hesitation, smooth acceleration, mild mannered when not WOT). I don't want it to be a strictly 1/4 car. I like to rip up the back roads and to take it to the local tracks for fun.

I just sold my 95 SHO MTX and bought my wife a 2002 Grand Prix SE. Did that to position myself better towards getting my GTO. I am used to great back road fun with wonderful acceleration (not the best 1/4 car though). I don't want to loose that.

So with that said, I doubt I'll go 4.11 gears. Lowest would probably be 3.73 or left stock. I would want the LS2 block (lowered CR) with a Vortec SQ2 Series SC with an FMIC, custom cam, C5R heads, headers, exhaust, custom tuning. The suspension/drive train would get the BMR equipment and I'd see what I could do to upgrade the brakes a little (13.1 inch minimum). Basically, I'd like it so that even if a Terminator was packing a Kenny Bell, he'd be working overtime to stay with me :hail:

That's my Dream GTO. Mild mannered everyday car that at WOT will rip the doors off of the car next to me. I will try to make it a reality for myself!!!
10s GTO that still has "mild' street manners? dont mean to rain on your parade, but i hope you dont think that dream will ever come true. you could probably have like an 11s or 12s GTO that is pretty mild mannered. but 10s??? i dunno about that. but have fun trying. hope i dont run into you :)

·
Ex SHO owner
316 Posts
I disagree. I believe it is possible to have the GTO as well mannered as a stock GTO that could run 10's. I guarentee that the 427 TT from Lingenfelter installed and tuned would rip the 10's and based on all articles written on that combo have stated it a drivable and well mannered machine till you hit WOT. Then hold on tight. Granted that was in the vette. But with the similar IRS and engine layout, it should be aweful close. But then that is a pie in the sky dream due to the cost of that setup. I haven't won the lotto yet.

Now with the setup I had mentioned, that may be a difficult thing to do. Don't know. Still researching. No one has that setup yet and we don't know the numbers that that would be producing. But I bet that setup would be mannered (Maybe like Arnold at a dinner table but definately not Tarzan eating next to you but definately NOT Martha Stewart giving you dinner instructions.) and be a fun fast ride to boot.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Mmmm... competition. :secret: :) Good luck, bro!

Padre
that would be a great race. supercharged vs heads/cam. LPE vs MDMC. remember to take pics for us :)

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
LPEGoat said:
Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
Properly sized fuel injectors
Fuel system upgrades
Port & polished throttle body
160 Degree thermostat
LPE cold air induction system
Corsa Pro series touring system
LPE coil covers - Red
2,800 stall torque converter
:hail: :hail: :hail:
price tag? :sneaky:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Aspect said:
I disagree. I believe it is possible to have the GTO as well mannered as a stock GTO that could run 10's. I guarentee that the 427 TT from Lingenfelter installed and tuned would rip the 10's and based on all articles written on that combo have stated it a drivable and well mannered machine till you hit WOT. Then hold on tight. Granted that was in the vette. But with the similar IRS and engine layout, it should be aweful close. But then that is a pie in the sky dream due to the cost of that setup. I haven't won the lotto yet.

Now with the setup I had mentioned, that may be a difficult thing to do. Don't know. Still researching. No one has that setup yet and we don't know the numbers that that would be producing. But I bet that setup would be mannered (Maybe like Arnold at a dinner table but definately not Tarzan eating next to you but definately NOT Martha Stewart giving you dinner instructions.) and be a fun fast ride to boot.
I think 10's could be attained with the right combo. I would take a turbo over a blower though. Useable power is increased since you don't have losses associated with driving the blower. If my V6 TA can run mid 11's and still get 29mpg on the highway and pass the treadmill, I think a V8 should be able to do it with relative ease if done right. And with the stock displacement :) But since you need to rebuild for boost anyway, why not go a little bit bigger :secret:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Rob said:
I think 10's could be attained with the right combo. I would take a turbo over a blower though. Useable power is increased since you don't have losses associated with driving the blower. If my V6 TA can run mid 11's and still get 29mpg on the highway and pass the treadmill, I think a V8 should be able to do it with relative ease if done right. And with the stock displacement :) But since you need to rebuild for boost anyway, why not go a little bit bigger :secret:
There is a common misconception that turbo power is free. To compress X volume of air to Y pressure requires Z amount of energy. It does not matter if this energy comes in the form of drag on a pulley or drag (backpressure) on the exhaust. The argument that it is the heat from exhaust gasses that spins the turbo is incorrect. Where a turbo has an advantage is that is requires a much simpler mechanism to obtain the very high RPM necessary to compress a high volume of air moving at a high velocity. You don't have the parasitic losses associated with the step-up gearing needed to spin the compressor at 40,000 RPM or so, but those losses are relatively small compared with the force needed to rotate the compressor, regardless of method used. The disadvantage of a turbo is somewhat greater heating of the compressor due to physical proximity to the hot turbine (compared to a centrufugal S/C), more complicated plumbing, and less scavenging of the exhaust in most practical realizations. Either design can be executed well or poorly, but it's definitely not free power either way.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mistermike said:
There is a common misconception that turbo power is free. To compress X volume of air to Y pressure requires Z amount of energy. It does not matter if this energy comes in the form of drag on a pulley or drag (backpressure) on the exhaust. The argument that it is the heat from exhaust gasses that spins the turbo is incorrect. Where a turbo has an advantage is that is requires a much simpler mechanism to obtain the very high RPM necessary to compress a high volume of air moving at a high velocity. You don't have the parasitic losses associated with the step-up gearing needed to spin the compressor at 40,000 RPM or so, but those losses are relatively small compared with the force needed to rotate the compressor, regardless of method used. The disadvantage of a turbo is somewhat greater heating of the compressor due to physical proximity to the hot turbine (compared to a centrufugal S/C), more complicated plumbing, and less scavenging of the exhaust in most practical realizations. Either design can be executed well or poorly, but it's definitely not free power either way.
agreed. but from i have heard a turbo set up has much less losses. i was watching horsewpoer TV this morning and they were installing a turbo kit on a V8 small block. they also had a guy on there who has been in the turbo business for about 40 years (somebody Banks, cant remember first name).

he said that in his experience. they had two identical setups. one with a S/C and one turbo, running the same boost same gas. he said the turbo engine would produce 200hp more than the s/c. now he didn't give all the details about what kind of turbo or s/c was used. but i think the point still stands that a turbo setup has much less losses (or atleast has the potential to have much less losses)

·
VR4NOMORE....GTO4ME
80 Posts
I definately see a supercharger in my GOAT's future! After driving a T/C car as long as I did.....I miss the whine! :p

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
mistermike said:
That's why I said more useable power over a blower. It takes a lot of crank horsepower to drive a blower. As for the heated air, intercoolers come into play. Most, if not all, aftermarket turbo setups come with an intercooler(s). Granted it won't bring it down to ambient, but it is greatly reduced than without.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Rob,
Agreed. If you compare apples to apples, say an intercooled Vortech or Procharger with an intercooled turbo setup, the turbo will probably make a little more power, if it's set up right. Both S/C and turbo heat the air by compression, but the turbo usually will heat it a bit more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts