LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kicking around the idea of a cam. Of course this won't be until next year of I did. Anyhow the car has 82k I've read guys just putting a cam in with no lifters. I error on the side of caution. Would a stock lifter be good or the link bar style lifters for a torquer V2 cam? Thanks fellas.

·
Administrator
8,916 Posts
@ 80k miles, I’d not only absolutely do lifters, but have new or refreshed heads put on, new timing chain, and oil pump installed.

Reactions: vanrah

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured on the basics chain pump ect. I was just throwing that out there people just slamming a cam in. My main question would be the benefit with the link bar style vs oem with new trays? Possibly stage 1 port job also I was thinking too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think if you're using quality lifters then just using stock style will be fine. I always use AC Delco branded LS7 lifters and have yet to have an issue.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,563 Posts
So, the problems with the trays cracking seems to mostly stem from people reusing them when replacing lifters. I don't think there have been too many instances of someone stabbing a cam in without disturbing the lifters and having the trays crack. Granted, this is my memory from a decade ago. However, if you are pulling the heads anyways, my preference would be to go with a higher end lifter with new trays over a lower grade link bar setup. Something like the Johnson 2110 lifters would be a great choice for a drop-in option. I also just checked what authentic LS7 lifters are going for nowadays, and it doesn't make much sense to select them over the Johnson drop-in.

As a point of reference, I used stock lifters and trays when I installed a Torquer V2 back in 2010 and had no issues, but obviously that was with far fewer miles and years on the clock. But it does lend an example of the lifters and trays being able to handle the cam profile.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had a turned lifter once that ate up the cam in my 383. My builder went back with the Lunati link bar. No problems since.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the problems with the trays cracking seems to mostly stem from people reusing them when replacing lifters. I don't think there have been too many instances of someone stabbing a cam in without disturbing the lifters and having the trays crack. Granted, this is my memory from a decade ago. However, if you are pulling the heads anyways, my preference would be to go with a higher end lifter with new trays over a lower grade link bar setup. Something like the Johnson 2110 lifters would be a great choice for a drop-in option. I also just checked what authentic LS7 lifters are going for nowadays, and it doesn't make much sense to select them over the Johnson drop-in.

As a point of reference, I used stock lifters and trays when I installed a Torquer V2 back in 2010 and had no issues, but obviously that was with far fewer miles and years on the clock. But it does lend an example of the lifters and trays being able to handle the cam profile.
Did you like the torquer V2? Good power? I love how it sounds myself anyway.

·
12,563 Posts
Did you like the torquer V2? Good power? I love how it sounds myself anyway.
I liked it well enough. The car put down like 430 at the wheels. However, lobe profiles have developed over the last decade, so I can't say it would be my first choice anymore. There are newer lobes that will make better power without aggressive ramp rates that put additional strain on the valvetrain.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May i ask what cam you must have switched to? Sounds like you switched it out?

·
12,563 Posts
May i ask what cam you must have switched to? Sounds like you switched it out?
I changed cams when I switched to LS3 heads, and then I changed cams again when I upped the displacement to 404 cubic inches. Both are Lunati grinds. The first was 227/235 and the current cam is 231/239.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts