LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll keep updating this as more people drive their GTOs at events. So if you find some guys drifting or you drift we'll add them to the list! Happy Sliding!

- Of course the RMR Formula D GTO, which then got passed around by like four different drivers.

-BFG car was in Canada got passed around.

-Shane (Michigan)

- Tung (Michigan)

- Peter (Mass)

- Matt (New Jersey) - on the forum here

- Tony Cisneros (Vegas)

- Michael Lindsey (SWD Atlanta area)

- ??? same event as the guy above (SWD Atlanta area)

- Fred (Florida)

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
the SWD car is Michael Lindsey (cool guy, iv been exchanging emails with him for a few months helping him out)
Vegas pro am is Tony Cisneros
And matt hasse had the old BF goodrich car. that was a different chassis than the FD RMR car.

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Cool thread! I thought there were only 2, maybe 3 GTO drifters (that I had seen on here).

I guess kicking out the ass of my GTO intentionally although infrequently on secured roads doesn't make me a drifter, huh?

These cars are seemingly easy to get into a drift, though. "Skinny" 245-series tires + 400lbs-ft of torque = ass-happy car.

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
i actually run a ultra high performance 265 tire at about 28 psi in the rear for good grip. Sliding a car around at 10-20mph is a lot different then some of the high speeds (90mph) we do sometimes. need tons of grip for control.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
updated. I am limited to 10 pictures per post, so I'll have to combine them or something later.

Paul, if you ever want to try it out, look up the Street Wise Drift (SWD) guys. They run a whole series in your area. Even just to spectate. It's the most fun you can have with four wheels.

Cebo

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to come of as belittling drifters and their skill. Yes, my "drifts" are more or less just momentary "controlled" losses of traction at 10-20 MPH. I've done it at 40MPH like twice - that speed, though, is a little too scary for me to be controlling a car that is actually out of control, haha.

Props to you guys who can do this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to come of as belittling drifters and their skill. Yes, my "drifts" are more or less just momentary "controlled" losses of traction at 10-20 MPH. I've done it at 40MPH like twice - that speed, though, is a little too scary for me to be controlling a car that is actually out of control, haha.

Props to you guys who can do this.
No worries dude. It's easier to pick up than you think. Everyone starts somewhere. Find some parking lot drift events with nothing to hit and have a blast!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So how do these things drift with the stock suspension? I am thinking of taking the goat to a couple events just for fun next summer before I get an S13.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got to drive them different than a 240/RX7/Corolla. They don't have very good steering angle and the ratio is really slow. Also with the soft suspension you'll be rolling like crazy loading up one side, then when you go to transition you unload all that energy. So you have to keep your transitions slow. Try it out see how you like it. Just make sure there's plenty of room at the event.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Went to a drifting event in Green cove springs organized by KMS with a buddy of mine and met this guy Fred Conkling who was drifting a LQ9 iron block GTO (MS3 cam) on BC coilovers. Very cool guy, and offered to help me install my BC coilovers when I was ready. I also let a buddy of mine drift my GTO while I was in the passenger seat and absolutely loved it. I took a video and will post it after work today. Had a lot of fun, and think my GTO has a new path.

Attachments

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
How many of these cars are STILL drifting ?

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
The RMR car is still being driven by Tania Gladiuk in canada.

i still drift mine but im pretty sure im the only pourpose built drift GTO in the states now.
and BF goodrich car was parted out last year

·
Registered
357 Posts
SIDEWAYS!

Mine will be ready for a KMS event in Starke at The Firm (airport) on Feb 16 & 17th. It's a 1.2 mile track dedicated to strictly drfiting, one straight has you doing easily 100mph and braking down to enter a 90* turn at about 50mph for me. Very excited to get out there, just need to get this Monster clutch, BC coilovers, and longtubes installed. My buddy that is much more skilled than myself and who got me into drifting, had a rod knock in his KA 240sx and is now swapping a LS1 from a 2000 Vette into his 240 and will be ready for the February event as well.

Can't emphasize how excited I am to get out there,I feel like I was born for this.

As always, stay safe, drama free, and sideways!

Just realized I never posted the video of my friend drifting my GTO, I was in the passenger seat and my GTO was fully stock at this point besides some minor exhaust work.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101451361227311 (If you have a facebook)

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/10101451361227311"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/10101451361227311" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="1280" height="720"></embed></object>

tried to embed it, not working for some reason...

·
Nurburgring GTO
1,973 Posts
The RMR car is still being driven by Tania Gladiuk in canada.

i still drift mine but im pretty sure im the only pourpose built drift GTO in the states now.
and BF goodrich car was parted out last year
Car looks better that way !

Well congrats on being the only one,now LS7 that sucka !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine will be ready for a KMS event in Starke at The Firm (airport) on Feb 16 & 17th. It's a 1.2 mile track dedicated to strictly drfiting, one straight has you doing easily 100mph and braking down to enter a 90* turn at about 50mph for me. Very excited to get out there, just need to get this Monster clutch, BC coilovers, and longtubes installed. My buddy that is much more skilled than myself and who got me into drifting, had a rod knock in his KA 240sx and is now swapping a LS1 from a 2000 Vette into his 240 and will be ready for the February event as well.

Can't emphasize how excited I am to get out there,I feel like I was born for this.
QUOTE]

Becareful with a stock driveshaft. If someone tells you to clutch kick. Don't. The stock drivetrain can't take that. Upgrade to a one piece.

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
im runnin stock driveshaft and halfshafts :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts