LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came off the highway after @ a 15 minute drive (80 mph with trafic) and after about three miles of slow and go I came to my third stoplight. When I came to a stop I saw a small cloud rise in front of my car and then smell the tell tale scent of antifreeze. Then it all blows away. So slight I almost didn't notice it. My temp looked good on the dash. I thought. "self, that was the car in front or beside you."

I drove another 5 miles home w/ no more puffs, making multiple stops on the way and paying attention. Feeling pretty ok when I got back I checked under the hood and found no sign of a leak but I did smell antifreeze.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Keep an eye on the level is all I can suggest. If the fluid level is above the cold fill line when cold it could expand and let some out of the overflow tube. How high does your temp guage go? Mine has never reached half way on the guage.Hope all is well.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what I understand, the guage is nothing more than an indicator. Mine never moves. It only has two positions. cold and warm. Everyother car I have owned would show a diferent temp idling in trafic as opposed to riding down the highway..

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
So the temp gauge is only there to give a rough idea of what is happening? The one I had in my 300m would actually change depending upon the ambient temp, but the one in my Explorer was broken so as far as that goes, I guess a two position gauge is better than none at all.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Oh, allow me to say something constructive as well. When I had the Explorer, I had this same situation after having a lot of the tubes n such changed at a high mileage tune-up (in other words, all the tubes were very new). It turned out that they hadn't been tightened down enough and as the cooling system came up to pressure, it leaked. So maybe check hose-clamps if it recurs.

·
Urban Redneck
117 Posts
That would piss me off if the gauge is just a fancy idiot light.

My 91 Camaro's gauge moves around all the time, depending on traffic, etc. Always frightens me a little when I take it up mountain passes.

Maybe time to get an AutoMeter gauge? I need to think about where to mount a boost gauge anyway.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
For that matter, how do you go about making any of the aftermarket gauges I am seeing work in the vehicle (such as fuel/air ratio gauges as I see lots of those?)?

·
3,327 Posts
You can get the DIC to tell you the exact temperature, if you really want to know. Just hold down the Mode and Set buttons as you start the car, and scroll through the options.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been through the options before and have not seen this. I'll have to look closer.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
To display the coolant temp, you MUST press BOTH "Mode" and "Set" at the same time and hold them down as you turn the ignition switch to "On". Only minor contortionist abilities required. Anyway, what this gives you is a list of "Diagnostic Info" you can scroll through using the up and down arrows. Coolant temp is the last display in the list, of course.

My temp gauge is, indeed, a two position "analog idiot gauge". It seems that it is either OFF or ON, zero or dead center. Not much use at all. I think it is there for looks, not to tell us anything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's too bad you can't get to this diagnostic info while you're driving (unless you started the car this way). Cycling the ignition key to get to this mode while you're rolling down the highway would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FLORIT said:
My temp gauge is, indeed, a two position "analog idiot gauge". It seems that it is either OFF or ON, zero or dead center. Not much use at all. I think it is there for looks, not to tell us anything.
yep, may as well be a light.

Have you fixed the low end torque issue yet?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Did you make sure the overflow tank overflow tube isn't draining to something on the engine instead of down through the hole in the frame that it's supposed to?

·
3,327 Posts
FLORIT said:
I drove around for about 2 hours in different "modes" of driving to get a feel for it, with the DIC displaying temp readings. Waste of time, because the temp usually was within 10 degrees either way. I played around with the tach too, and it was too jumpy. What I really dislike about this car is no Oil pressure mesurement at all. That is VERY important to me, since that is why my elCamino bit the dust.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not. I sort of traced around with my eyes to see if I could see anything obvious but I didn't see anything that looked odd. I will check the routing of the overflow lines after work. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts