LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
04 GTO Barbados Blue M6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a lock cylinder about a week ago and when I was putting it in it broke. The peice that broke was the lock that keeps the lock cylinder in the steering column. MY key got locked in the ignition and I had to push that button to get it out and it broke in half and a small spring came out. Can I return this item?

·
Last mod honey, I swear...
6,491 Posts
Doubtful that you can return it. You are supposed to flip the little tab in the steering column down before you install the new cylinder to avoid breaking the cylinder. Happened to a lot of people in the big lock cylinder thread.

·
GM Parts House. Com
1,887 Posts
Doubtful that you can return it. You are supposed to flip the little tab in the steering column down before you install the new cylinder to avoid breaking the cylinder. Happened to a lot of people in the big lock cylinder thread.
Yes, this is correct and we even have a note on the site when you order that part that we won't accept any returns or give any credits on broken cylinders. That is simply because of improper installation.

·
Orphan Car Owner
2,803 Posts
Well, it doesn't take much to break. I was as careful as one could possibly be when installing mine and broke it. Fragile POS.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Chalk that one up to experience, Rob. At least it's not a super expensive item. I once wiped out a $700 phono cartridge with a moment's lapse in judgment.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts

·
04 GTO Barbados Blue M6
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't hard on the item and I read a lot of things before installing the item. I had the peice pushed down that locks the steering column and it went in fine. But it wouldn't start so i pulled out the lock cylinder again and when i pushed in the button at the top through the small hole it must of broke, bc it came out broken.

·
'06 M6 IBM, Bermuda Blue, 18"
44 Posts
I wasn't hard on the item and I read a lot of things before installing the item. I had the peice pushed down that locks the steering column and it went in fine. But it wouldn't start so i pulled out the lock cylinder again and when i pushed in the button at the top through the small hole it must of broke, bc it came out broken.
I just got mine this evening. The little tab broke in my right hand just as I was going outside to install it. I didn't even get a chance to put it in the column...

The sad thing is that the prior cylinder already was the improved verson. The tab had broken from regular use after a year and half of service.

This is not fair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts