LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Missing my little one.
Joined
·
21,341 Posts
Just keep the goat forever, then there's no problem with worrying about long term value :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,735 Posts
miggs330 said:
How many people bought their goat for investment purposes?! I enjoy the SEG I get every day from racking up the miles on it. I'd better enjoy it for what I'm paying..."Enjoy your Goat TODAY who knows what tomorrow brings."

I can't agree more. The GTO is just another car running around on the streets of America, in 2006.

In every forum (Chevy, Subaru, Ford, Dodge, etc), there are guys who think their Mustang GTs, Mustang Cobras, GTOs, Z28s etc are going to be worth a lot of money the future.They think if they keep them stock and don't put any miles on them they will be worth a lot some day. Sorry but it's not happening.

The love/demand for the Muscle cars of the 60s will never be duplicated by 1990 - 2010 automobiles. I don't car what kind of car you drive.
 

·
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006
Joined
·
427 Posts
The retail value of the GTO is based upon what the owner is willing to sell the car at. If every GTO owner said that their GTO would not be sold for no less then 100,000 bucks. Then thats what the car will be valued at. Someone who wants to buy a GTO is going to have to spend 100,000 to buy a GTO. Now this is just an example. It could be 30,000 or whatever you want it to be.

My point is, YOU are in control of the retail value. If you are willing to sell the GTO for cheap or trade it in for cheap, then that will bring the retail value of the car down. If everyone maintains a high asking value of the car then it will stay high. This is very possible with this type of car. Its a rare car so the demand vs supply is on our side. This is not a Mustang that was produced 1 out of 400,000 of them. So stop comparing them. These cars are rare. I hear that only 13,000 of them were made per year. And they are no longer being made.

The 1990 - 1996 Chevy Impala SS is a good example of what i'm talking about.. not the best but a good example. They aren't as rare as the GTO that i know of, and here in Southern Oregon i see them for 20+K all the time. You can't find a cheap one. Even fake SS are selling for 10 - 15K. The Impala SS owners have done a great job of keeping the value of their cars up by maintaining a high asking value of their car and again its possible because there are so few of them around.

If there was 400,000 Ferrari's Enzo's out in the public then their retail value would twiddle down to nothing also. Its supply and demand. We have the rare supplies. How cheap do you want to give a rare item away?
 

·
IKSWHTASOL
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
NRG said:
The retail value of the GTO is based upon what the owner is willing to sell the car at. If every GTO owner said that their GTO would not be sold for no less then 100,000 bucks. Then thats what the car will be valued at. Someone who wants to buy a GTO is going to have to spend 100,000 to buy a GTO. Now this is just an example. It could be 30,000 or whatever you want it to be.
How great it would be if that were all there was to it. :) The value of a car (or any commodity) is set by the law of supply and demand. Just setting an arbitrary price on something doesn't establish value unless there is a demand for it at that price. :(

If everyone on the forum followed the above suggestion, I suspect we would see a lot more "I'm going to keep my Goat forever" posts. :sneaky:
 

·
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006
Joined
·
427 Posts
TA455 said:
How great it would be if that were all there was to it. :) The value of a car (or any commodity) is set by the law of supply and demand. Just setting an arbitrary price on something doesn't establish value unless there is a demand for it at that price. :(

If everyone on the forum followed the above suggestion, I suspect we would see a lot more "I'm going to keep my Goat forever" posts. :sneaky:

I don't see how my suggestion would fail? Why isn't it that easy? If the gto owners will not take any less then 30,000 for their car, then the buyers have no choice but to buy it for 30,000. Its thats simple. We have a small community of GTO's and it will be easy to maintain a higher value because there is so little. A large community is harder to organize and maintain higher retail values, because there are larger quantities to deal with.

Why is it that the impala ss, the corvette GS, the corvette ZR1, and every other rare performance car can maintain a higher retail value? If they can.. why can't a gto?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
NRG said:
The 1990 - 1996 Chevy Impala SS is a good example of what i'm talking about.. not the best but a good example. They aren't as rare as the GTO that i know of, and here in Southern Oregon i see them for 20+K all the time. You can't find a cheap one. Even fake SS are selling for 10 - 15K. The Impala SS owners have done a great job of keeping the value of their cars up by maintaining a high asking value of their car and again its possible because there are so few of them around.
?
The Impala SS was made in 94-96, not 1990- 1996. During that span, GM never, not once, ever offerred a rebate or an incentive to move the car. Also, the last '96's were made in December and didn't make it to the dealer until '97 where they were scooped up. That shows you how in demand these cars were when new. That has a lot to do with resale. My '96 was made in the end of november and I picked her up in mid dec. Resale originally was great, but now it is just ok. You can look at the paper at prices, but keep in mind that they are asking prices.
 

·
Mostly Harmless
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
For all of the young guys here who still feel invincible... life is short. Enjoy the car, but take care of the car. If it ends up being worth something in the future, great, if not, c'est la vie. Personally mine will only be sold when I die, and at that point I won't care any more...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I remember the end of the first muscle car era and how they increased in value. First there were the horse power wars followed by the increase in insurance and large increases in gas prices. After that muscle cars were a dime a dozen. You sure didn't see any at the Barret Jackson auctions getting gobs of money for a long time. Their disappearance was followed by a decade or so of crap performance cars geared completely towards good economy and ecology. Then after that long process, the ones that weren’t scrapped and in good shape were worth high $$$$$$$$s.

In case anyone hasn't noticed we are still going through the HP wars but the end may soon be near. I just got notified by my insurance company that the Goat's policy went up, but not on my other cars.

The gas prices have already hit new car sales hard.

So I figure all we have to do is wait a few more years until the HP craze is over then hang in there through a decade or so of crappy hybrid cars ruling and the Goats being worth next to nothing. Then our LSx Goats will be worth high $$$$$$$$$$$s. That is if they are still in excellent shape.
:stickpoke
 

·
Cabra Rapida
Joined
·
388 Posts
I bought mine to drive and have fun with, in 20-30 years there won't be gasoline left to power these suckers so they will probably be worth $100.00, at a scrapyard.
 

·
Mostly Harmless
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
KdubFL said:
I bought mine to drive and have fun with, in 20-30 years there won't be gasoline left to power these suckers so they will probably be worth $100.00, at a scrapyard.
"The last of the great v8 interceptors..."

(yes, I believe that was a Ford in Mad Max :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I think there is truth in both sides of the posts here. Some things that had to be deeply discounted to move in their day are highly sought after collectibles now. A couple of examples are modern day Winchesters and Japanese Brownings (Shotguns and Rifles, of course). These items were looked upon as inferior, because they weren't made before 1964 by Anerican hands. But guess what, over the last 20 years any skilled labor and build quality using modern materials and methods that were common then are gone now. A 300% gain over the last 20 years is not uncommon if you knew what to buy.
 
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Top