LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GTO = Pontiac shenanigans
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good cam that will keep me sounding close to stock but give me that extra power. I don't mind a little more lope but not to noticeable since I still am under warranty and bring it to the dealer. And also if you could recommend a cam that I would not have to change the springs that would be a plus. Or would it be a plus to have to change the springs. I see a lot of custom cams out there but I haven't the foggiest idea as to what to even ask for except for the description I gave above. I know this may be a newbie question but I had to ask. I got a little bit of changein and would like to invest in one. Also will I require an under drive pulley and headers to get the performance out of this mod?

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
Thunder Racing Cheater Cam or Speed Inc. 007 Cam. Any cam you go with you will have to change the springs out. Underdrive pulley is always optional and LT's are optional for best results

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Contact ED (username EDC) from Flowtech listed on the left. He will build you a cam that will do EXACTLY what you want.

Ed's custom cams RULE!!

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
barkingspud said:
Thunder Racing Cheater Cam or Speed Inc. 007 Cam. Any cam you go with you will have to change the springs out. Underdrive pulley is always optional and LT's are optional for best results

Okay I have heard of the cheater cam, now what about the custom route? Also let me give you the mods that are going to be put on (Im doing this all at the same time BTW saves me the energy) Borla catback, Ported LS2 manifold, tune, (Misc: drag bags, King Springs). My goal is to have at least 400 to 450 to the wheels is that possible or is that a pipe dream?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, in replay to your first post I believe that the Lingenfelter GT2-3 is the cam that best suits what have told us. It is not aggressive, takes your power delivery and turns it into Z06 like power, 1800 - 6200 RPM, and idles a little noisier then stock, but it purrs like a kitten. If you don't want to tune it don't have too, its good for 350RWHP with out headers, and 370 with them. Lingenfelter sell this cam in a kit with GM LS6 springs, which are long lasting and since the lobes aren't aggressive on the cam your dealor will never know it's in there. Mines been for service and nothing been said about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
EDC is a great resource. He'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

There was another thread floating around last week where someone was going to have the dealer install one of GM's performance cams in order to retain the factory warranty. Only problem was that the cost for the parts and labor from the dealer was about 5 times what a cam swap should cost.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chargedGTO said:
Well, in replay to your first post I believe that the Lingenfelter GT2-3 is the cam that best suits what have told us. It is not aggressive, takes your power delivery and turns it into Z06 like power, 1800 - 6200 RPM, and idles a little noisier then stock, but it purrs like a kitten. If you don't want to tune it don't have too, its good for 350RWHP with out headers, and 370 with them. Lingenfelter sell this cam in a kit with GM LS6 springs, which are long lasting and since the lobes aren't aggressive on the cam your dealor will never know it's in there. Mines been for service and nothing been said about it.

Yeah I saw that Lingenfelter cam I'm gonna call them in the morning and ask a few more questions if all is good I am gonna order it. So with my mods do you think I will see 400-450 at the wheels for an 06?

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
Stop worrying about the dealer knowing. If you melt a piston or break something after doing a cam swap, it is not thier responsibility anyway, so get what you want, not try to bs your way to still having an engine warranty.
My dealer loves it when my GTO comes in. Lots of attention. They give me great service under warranty, but they know I expect nothing from them re: engine or drivetrain, as I chose to own that now. I have just what I want, and they still take care of things like door locks or broken trims without issue.
Contact any board sponsor who sells cams, call Comp Cams directly (3/4 of the "customs" are just well chosen Comps) or Thunder racing. They should ask you a million questions, then happily ship you just what you were hoping for. Know what you want before you call in driveability, mileage and sound.
Have fun. Hot cams rule!

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Anywhere closem to 450 will require heads. I recomend talking to an expert to match all your parts to your goals. Ed is one of them.

·
Blowed Up...
11,360 Posts
Rock I gotta agree with SwampGoat on this one. Worrying about the warranty is going to cause more problems in the end than it would for you to just forget about the warranty. If anything really did happen to the motor they wouldn't cover it regardless of the size of the cam.

·
Registered
73 Posts
cam & heads

i have ls6 heads and tsp 233/239 113 lsa cam & luvn it!!!!!!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts