LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has decided that it's time for new wheels and tires for her '06. The car is her daily driver and will be taking on trips. The car will never be anything more then a bolt on car. The wheels will be 18x8.5 and 18x9.5. The offset can be anywhere between 20 and 45 on these particular wheels and I will most likely go 40 in the front and 45 in the rear. The tire will be Continental DWS06 Plus 245/40/18 and 275/35/18.

I have decided that it is time to go coilovers and do every suspension and steering bushing in the thing. I have been looking at Whiteline poly bushings. I have read all kinds of threads in regards to different coilover setups and I would like your opinion as to what rides closest to stock. I do not intend to do sway bars or brake upgrades at this time.

I'm not going to say that money is no object because it certainly is, but I am not afraid to spend some money on my wife's car. Is there anything else that you would recommend doing while I am here?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Id do lovell springs and probably pedders shocks all around (mainly for the bolt in aspect up front vs koni)

Whiteline bushings definitely (just did them myself)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
What is your (her) preference on ride height?

I did BC coilovers over the winter and though it's growing on me, initially I had regrets. If you drive on a lot of shitty roads they can really throw you out of your seat over some bumps. Softest setting btw.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if we go Lovells, we're going away from coil overs. Will that still give us the clearance for the tire and wheel choices? Are Konis the preferred strut/shock choice with the Lovells spring?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
So if we go Lovells, we're going away from coil overs. Will that still give us the clearance for the tire and wheel choices? Are Konis the preferred strut/shock choice with the Lovells spring?
Should clear the 245 up front, no issues in the rear. Konis are preferred but you have to cut up the stock strut to insert a cartridge (hence why i suggested the pedder bolt-in)

Or you do BC coilover front and lovell rear (what i am now running except different front coilover)

·
Wol Gemut
3,478 Posts
if ride quality is a factor, as stated above, you do not want coilovers, period. unless you do KW which makes a twin tube coilover that has oem characteristics. With the setup you describe, I would do the Pedders Big Bore shocks in rear, they are awesome.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Is it more of a spring rate thing or dampening?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm running KYB with my Lovells and am happy with them. It fit my budget better when I was replacing the OEM ones.

I -think- I remember a post that said Sacrifice was moving away from coilovers to help with ride quality. I dont want to misquote him but maybe he can chime in as to the facts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, a decision has been made. There's a guy about 6 hours from me that has a set of lovells springs and koni shocks and struts for a very reasonable price. Road trip!

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Is it more of a spring rate thing or dampening?
Spring for the most part imo but i havent tried a softer spring in the front paired with the same shock.

The rear was definitely spring.
I'm running KYB with my Lovells and am happy with them. It fit my budget better when I was replacing the OEM ones.

I -think- I remember a post that said Sacrifice was moving away from coilovers to help with ride quality. I dont want to misquote him but maybe he can chime in as to the facts.
I did buy lovell 370s for the rear and installed last week. They are much smoother compared to the 9k (500lb/in) that BC/mavman come with stock. Still undecided what to do upfront, i dont mind the front as much as i did the rear.

Pricing out front struts and springs ends up more than a new pair of BC front coilovers..

·
Wol Gemut
3,478 Posts
Spring for the most part imo but i havent tried a softer spring in the front paired with the same shock.

The rear was definitely spring.

I did buy lovell 370s for the rear and installed last week. They are much smoother compared to the 9k (500lb/in) that BC/mavman come with stock. Still undecided what to do upfront, i dont mind the front as much as i did the rear.

Pricing out front struts and springs ends up more than a new pair of BC front coilovers..
Interesting to me how this completely differs from my experience. I went from Big Bore shocks to Pedders Supercar coilovers (a beefier and smoother coilover than the regular) in the rear and though I missed the awesome ride of the BBs, the coilovers were fine. I then swapped the front from oem to Supercars and I never got used to it. I only really loved driving my GTO again when I switched to KWs in the front. to me, the fronts are where the difference is. I have never gone ahead and swapped the rears to KWs. I know the ride would be smoother but the monotubes do keep the 285s from anything but minor brushes with inside. not sure if the KWs would also do so.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Interesting to me how this completely differs from my experience. I went from Big Bore shocks to Pedders Supercar coilovers (a beefier and smoother coilover than the regular) in the rear and though I missed the awesome ride of the BBs, the coilovers were fine. I then swapped the front from oem to Supercars and I never got used to it. I only really loved driving my GTO again when I switched to KWs in the front. to me, the fronts are where the difference is. I have never gone ahead and swapped the rears to KWs. I know the ride would be smoother but the monotubes do keep the 285s from anything but minor brushes with inside. not sure if the KWs would also do so.
The pedders have a softer rate than the BC by a bit. valving comes into play as well. Looks like KW uses a progressive spring

Rear:
Lovells - 400lb/in (7kg/mm)
Pedders - 450lb/in (8kg/mm)
BC/Mavman - 500lb/in (9kg/mm)

·
Wol Gemut
3,478 Posts
pretty sure it is monotube vs twin tube shocks far more than any other factor. in all cases including KW, I sought the most comfortable setting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A great road trip, great company, a nice car and a good burger joint.

Next week I get to call Andy @ Kollar and order every bushing on the car. What else should I get? I don't want to touch this again for 100k.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Tie rod ends and ball joints? Or maybe get new control arms with bushings/ball joints already installed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely on the control arms. I thought that whiteline had complete arms. It there an upgraded tie rod available?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts