LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just found this site today it is really great. I posted here as I'm in the Cleveland area(North Royalton), and thought this would be a good group to ask.

I was wondering how you guys and girls use your new '04 GTO's? Daily drivers all year, all the times except snowy weather, or hardly at all a a collector, etc...?

We have been thinking about buying/leasing an '04 GTO, to drive on a regular basis, except in the snowy/salty roads weather.

WE have owned a 69 GTO for 20 years. It hardly gets driven anymore, as we have lost interest in it. It has only been driven about 200 miles the last year. It may sound crazy but true. It would be cool to just jump into a new '04 GTO, jamming threw the 6 speed, drive where and whenever you want, without the worries about the 69. I have driven the new 6 speed three times, and it is awesome. Crazy maybe, but actually being able to enjoy the car all day eveyday is appealing.

So that is why I asked how your GTO's are getting used.

Thanks,

Wayne
North Royalton, Ohio

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Hi Wayne. Welcome to the board. I use mine for pleasure, and have a little Probe to drive in the winter/dirt/rain/work. The GTO is surprisingly civilized in the snow, thanks to traction control, positraction rear end, good tires, and good weight balance. Some of the other Clevelanders use their car daily. Why don't you come by our little get together on Friday. BTW, if you're looking for a car, I know a couple pretty good deals locally.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I live in Parma and my GTO was my daily driver for the first 3,000 miles. I'm suret that I won't have any major problems with winter driving, but I didn't want to drive it because of the salt. I'm planning on keeping it for a couple of years and I want to keep it in the best shape possible.

I know most dealerships are willing to sell the vehicle at GMS price, but if you need a certificate, just leave me a PM and I can get one for you!!!

Gianni

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Gianni D said:
I'm suret that I won't have any major problems with winter driving, but I didn't want to drive it because of the salt. I'm planning on keeping it for a couple of years and I want to keep it in the best shape possible.
Ditto

Hi Wayne, I'm planning on storing the goat for the winter its just too nice for me to drive in the winter sludge. Come on out to our first meet this Friday at the Lube if you'd like more info.
(http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5953&page=1)

Radkon

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Ditto, come to the get together on friday.

As for driving the goat i think i may be the only one who is gonna put this baby through a winter. It is my daily driver and on bad days my dads Zr2 sonoma will be my emergency vehicle. I drove my previous TA through the winter as well and did fine with it. It's not something you want to have to drive but you can do it, especially with another set of wheels and true snow tires.

As for regular driving i drive downtown in rush hour every day and am putting miles on to the tune of 24k per year. Doesn't get much more daily driver than that. What i can tell you is even with a M6 the clutch and torque make this driving in traffic not that bad (not as good as a A4, but still). The ride is what makes this car. Smooth, IRS, ahhhhhhh......so much better than my fbody.

This is finally a muscle car that can be a daily driver. This thing travels to the grocery store as good as down the drag strip. Only other car that rivals this today is pretty pricey......it's not a stang by far, but the CTSV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I'll see if I can make it Friday, don't know yet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gianni D said:
Hi Wayne,

I know most dealerships are willing to sell the vehicle at GMS price, but if you need a certificate, just leave me a PM and I can get one for you!!!

Gianni
Gianni, tell me more about these certificates, I have seen them refered to here and there, but don't know what they are.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
I'll be garaging my '04 GTO (assuming it ever leaves the dealer :) and driving my '98 Aurora (by far, best winter car I've had - pretty heavy FWD + Traction T/A tires = no problems in rain or snow). I'll probably do the same next winter, assuming nothing happens to the Aurora. After that, I don't know. Of course, now I'm in line for a new job, which comes with a company car. Just what I need, three cars in the driveway :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wayne said:
Gianni, tell me more about these certificates, I have seen them refered to here and there, but don't know what they are.

Thanks,
Wayne
I'm talking about "GM in the Driveway" certificates. I'm a GM employee and I can give this certificate to anyone that is REALLY considering buying any GM vehicle. You get the supplier price (Delphi, Lear, etc.) which is a little bit less than employee price discount I get. You can combine this certificate with any current rebates. Some dealers are even given people this price without a certificate, but I don't know here in Cleveland. I bought my GTO at Axelrod Pontiac at Brookpark. Really good people and the manager (Brett Leek) worked hard to get me a good deal ... at the time anyways ... lol. I went there yesterday for an oil change and their inventory looked like this:
Plenty of blacks
3 Barbados Blue
2 Quilsilver
1 Cosmos Purple
1 IBM (Demo)

Let me know if you are interested,
Gianni

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ghqman said:
Yep, it's 2 minutes from my house, so I'm there every other day.
That must be you, been in Regos when the car was there, but never got to see who is driving, I tried to find who was driving it !!

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
ghqman said:
I'm about 6'4", so usually the tallest guy in the store.
Trust me you'll know him when you see him, or hear him. :)

·
HSV GTO
762 Posts
I leased mine for 2 yrs and am driving it all year round i am looking for a set of
silver foctory rims so i mount blizaks on and take off my factory chrome ones.

steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
impulseblue gto said:
I leased mine for 2 yrs and am driving it all year round i am looking for a set of
silver foctory rims so i mount blizaks on and take off my factory chrome ones.

steve
Reminded me of another question. What is the story with chrome wheels ? It appears I have seen some factory wheels, that appear to either be polished or chromed, while all the wheels I have seen on cars at the dealers are satin finished ?

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Wayne said:
Reminded me of another question. What is the story with chrome wheels ? It appears I have seen some factory wheels, that appear to either be polished or chromed, while all the wheels I have seen on cars at the dealers are satin finished ?

Some dealers have taked the stockers and had them cromed (at extra cost to you!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts