LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to get a system installed int he next few weeks and was curious how subs sound in the car, the place that im going suggested to remove the rear deck "subs" to get more bass into the car due to the gas tank

what has everyone else done to get bass in the car, and how does it sound?

im getting Focal Polyglass 6.5" 2 way components up front
Left over MB Quart Coaxils from my old car
JL Audio 300/4 Slash Amp


not sure about subs yet. would like to do a custom enclosure for 2 JL Audio 8w7s, but this depends onmoney and what you guys suggest for bass

also how would the distortion limiter and the speed determine volume affect an aftermarket system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
how much do you want to spend?

Felbie said:
Im lookin to get a system installed int he next few weeks and was curious how subs sound in the car, the place that im going suggested to remove the rear deck "subs" to get more bass into the car due to the gas tank

what has everyone else done to get bass in the car, and how does it sound?

not sure about subs yet. would like to do a custom enclosure for 2 JL Audio 8w7s, but this depends onmoney and what you guys suggest for bass

also how would the distortion limiter and the speed determine volume affect an aftermarket system?
Well what you can do is directly related to what you can spend. A few folks have swapped out the decklid speakers, while others have mounted subs in the trunk. These are the more practical approaches. I went w/ 10's in the rear seat sidewalls in the cab. There's lots of room in there, but you will need alot of custom fab work done for that. Search this section, you'll find posts w/ everyone's setups.

You may want to avoid removing the factory subs if you put your subs in the trunk. I don't think it will make much difference in pressure levels and the bass should carry just fine. I removed the factory subs on my install and got a nice electrical whine, from what I believe was the fuel pump, in the cab. Most annoying and I ended up plugging the holes w/ dynamat.

I usually don't talk down others choices in gear, but I had a particularly bad experience with JL Audio 8w7s in my Blazer install and had to replace them a few times and finally settled on boston comp 8's. They just couldn't handle power and were ineffective, wich frustrated me to no end. I'd stay away from them if you want to run 150 plus watts to them and are looking for punchy mid bass. The Boston's never blew, exact same setup, power and enclosure requirements were the same. I might look at Diamond's for 8's since you can't buy Boston 8's anymore. You're call, go with what you like.

Would you be using an aftermarket HU or the factory?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Felbie said:
Im lookin to get a system installed int he next few weeks and was curious how subs sound in the car, the place that im going suggested to remove the rear deck "subs" to get more bass into the car due to the gas tank
Mine are in the trunk and are sounding fantasic, but we did have to remove the rear deck speakers (a real pain to remove that deck too). I don't have everything back in the car (as in the rear seats), but I can tell you the best place to mount them is actually the place I think Josephra mounted them if money is no object. Once you pull the rear facia out, there are two huge holes that are perfect for a 10" or 8" with tons of volume plus you won't eat any trunk space. Mine is a lease so I wanted stuff that came out easily or I would have done that.


josephra said:
I usually don't talk down others choices in gear, but I had a particularly bad experience with JL Audio 8w7s in my Blazer install and had to replace them a few times and finally settled on boston comp 8's. They just couldn't handle power and were ineffective, wich frustrated me to no end. I'd stay away from them if you want to run 150 plus watts to them and are looking for punchy mid bass. The Boston's never blew, exact same setup, power and enclosure requirements were the same. I might look at Diamond's for 8's since you can't buy Boston 8's anymore. You're call, go with what you like.
Woah! The JL Audio W7 line is one of the best speakers around when money is no object. They are in over 60% of the winning comps these days not to mention they can easy handle 150watts. Your not even working them out until you get over 250watts. Even then you can run them to 500 before problems start creeping up. Are you sure someone didn't sell you W0s and tell you they were W7s since they all look the same? JL Audio is still considered the speakers that all others are measured against.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,501 Posts
josephra said:


Well what you can do is directly related to what you can spend. A few folks have swapped out the decklid speakers, while others have mounted subs in the trunk. These are the more practical approaches. I went w/ 10's in the rear seat sidewalls in the cab. There's lots of room in there, but you will need alot of custom fab work done for that. Search this section, you'll find posts w/ everyone's setups.



So let me get this straight... you put 10"s in the sides right in front of the rear seats??? I would love to do this...

Sorry for not searching, but can you explain some more???

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Im definitiely Going for the Focals and the JL Amps

as for subs, I dont know yet, I also had a bad experience with a 10w3v2 that was constantly blowing, w7s i would not think i should have a problem, but I'll see, money IS an object, I dont mind losing trunk space, and since the car is a lease im not doing any cutting, if i can get bass into the car without the rear deck speakers removed, id love that, it all depends, what is everyones opinion on the focal components and JL Amps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
jsb5776 said:
So let me get this straight... you put 10"s in the sides right in front of the rear seats??? I would love to do this...

Sorry for not searching, but can you explain some more???

Jeff
Here's my communities site. There are 5 pages of pics that document the process pretty well.

http://groups.msn.com/RaffertyHouse/stereo.msnw
other threads:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6726
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7124
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6757

Regarding the JL comment straegen made. Yes, they were w7's and they did blow twice and they didn't hold a candle to the Bostons I replaced them with. There is a chance I just had the dumb luck and got a bum batch or I didn't have them in their required setting. But, I won't reccommend a product I had problems with (only talking about the 8's). They were hooked up at 4 ohm (stereo) to an 2 of the channels on an xtant 604 and in sealed enclosures. I wanted a solid stereo mid bass at the time for the articulation. Chose a different rout this last time, but that was back in 01 and thats what I wanted then.

Course, maybe JL just doesn't like Tool, thats what blew them :) The warrenty did cover the speaker replacements, I just chose to change brands because of the pain it was to replace them. They were behind fabric grills in the wheel well utility storage area in the 2 door blazer. Replacing them meant pulling the panels off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Felbie said:
Well Im definitiely Going for the Focals and the JL Amps.
what is everyones opinion on the focal components and JL Amps?
Every installer I know loves the Slash amps. I don't have personal experience with them, but I can tell you they win shows and installers push them because they have a rep of taking a beating and keep running. I was with my installer and we were dicussing amps in general and he even compared them to Zapco amps. High praise indeed.

As for Focals... never heard a speaker they build I didn't like. Something to be said for a company that only builds speakers and make a good living doing it.


Regarding the JL comment straegen made. Yes, they were w7's and they did blow twice and they didn't hold a candle to the Bostons I replaced them with. There is a chance I just had the dumb luck and got a bum batch or I didn't have them in their required setting. But, I won't reccommend a product I had problems with (only talking about the 8's). They were hooked up at 4 ohm (stereo) to an 2 of the channels on an xtant 604 and in sealed enclosures. I wanted a solid stereo mid bass at the time for the articulation. Chose a different rout this last time, but that was back in 01 and thats what I wanted then.
Subs blow it does happen. 9 times out of a 10 it is a heat problem in the voice coil which usually implies an improper install. Seeing your current install I don't believe that is the case and I believe it was simply bad luck, but when you buy a JL Audio speaker you are buying a brand that has a reputation for great sounding durable subs that don't do well when pushed. The W7 specifically has problems being overloaded due to its design which allows for a fantasic sound in the right installation.

Personally, I go both ways on JL Audio subs since I believe the sub is pretty much last on the list for spending money. I just wanted the other side of the story to come out. JL Audio in the industry is considered one of the finest sub manufactorers around. They do build a quality product and it is very unlikley you will ever have a problem from one of their subs. You will hear more complaints about JL Audio than most other top brands, but that is because they out sell their competition 3:1 and there are simply more people with them. Most people are very happy with JL Audio subs and my 10W6s are almost 7 years old and still going strong.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top