LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals, I bought a set of Monaro (think autocross/show cars) wheels from JHP in AUS. The service and overall buying experience was EXCEPTIONAL Geoff and his team went WAY out of his way to make sure I was happy with my purchase. The wheels arent the problem however, since pontiac used 245/40-YR18 G-Force KD's on the Autocross I figured those should be perfect for my car. WRONG! The front tires rub on the strut, which means I'm machining 3/16" Spacers tomorrow to fix the problem, so if you get 18" holden wheels, get 235/40's like the factory does lol

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTPprix said:
Ok guys and gals, I bought a set of Monaro (think autocross/show cars) wheels from JHP in AUS. The service and overall buying experience was EXCEPTIONAL Geoff and his team went WAY out of his way to make sure I was happy with my purchase. The wheels arent the problem however, since pontiac used 245/40-YR18 G-Force KD's on the Autocross I figured those should be perfect for my car. WRONG! The front tires rub on the strut, which means I'm machining 3/16" Spacers tomorrow to fix the problem, so if you get 18" holden wheels, get 235/40's like the factory does lol
I got mine from JHP and yes Geoff and crew are great!!! I have CV8's 18" with 245/40/18 toyos and have no issues.....

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure your fronts are rubbing on the strut just a smidgen?

·
'04 645Ci
989 Posts
Don't the Toyo's have straighter profiles... er... The G-Forces seem to bulge a bit and aren't as blocky as the Toyos. It might explain why the G-Forces are rubbing.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Are the offsets different on the 18's?? The autocross concept wheels are definitely on my mod list so I'd like to figure this question out too!...

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
If I were going to run the Holden wheels, I'd use the Holden tires...Pirellis (according to the Holden website when last I looked). Nittos are generally considered to be right on or slightly smaller than the noted size, and BFGs are the opposite (sometimes as much as 10mm wider than the noted size according to posts I've read on here).

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTPprix said:
You sure your fronts are rubbing on the strut just a smidgen?
well see now your gonna have to make me go outside and do some work......... :wall:

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I just dont want to see you go through what I did :)

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
phobos512 said:
If I were going to run the Holden wheels, I'd use the Holden tires...Pirellis (according to the Holden website when last I looked). Nittos are generally considered to be right on or slightly smaller than the noted size, and BFGs are the opposite (sometimes as much as 10mm wider than the noted size according to posts I've read on here).
Not to hijack, though this is concerning this info.

We put wheels and tires on our cars (Caddys) all the time, and I've never found the Nitto 555s to be small by ANY means. Their 245/45R18s as well as their various truck tires are HUGE (both in width, but mostly in sidewall *height* compared to other tires we run (Toyos, Goodyears, Falkens, Conts) [to the extent we've had to replace them because they rubbed], but the newer BFGs also tend to run large as well. This is the first place I've frequented (due to a car purchase of course) where I hear that Nittos run small - it must be in comparison to BFGs - but I'd still warn anyone with 555s that they run large...

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
GTPprix said:
Chris, out of curiousity, what was the cost on the wheels?

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Chris,

Glad to see you got your wheels. - we need to see some photos !

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
miscreant said:
Not to hijack, though this is concerning this info.

We put wheels and tires on our cars (Caddys) all the time, and I've never found the Nitto 555s to be small by ANY means. Their 245/45R18s as well as their various truck tires are HUGE (both in width, but mostly in sidewall *height* compared to other tires we run (Toyos, Goodyears, Falkens, Conts) [to the extent we've had to replace them because they rubbed], but the newer BFGs also tend to run large as well. This is the first place I've frequented (due to a car purchase of course) where I hear that Nittos run small - it must be in comparison to BFGs - but I'd still warn anyone with 555s that they run large...
I know the Nitto Drag Radials run smaller than others. I had both Firestone Firehawks and Goodyear GSC's on the fronts of two different cars, 89 TTA and 96 WS6. Both the front tires were wider than the same size Nittos, 245/50/16 and 275/40/17 respectively. Very easy to see the difference especially when compared side to side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts