LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for radiator cooling fan for my 2004 Pontiac GTO. Please let me know ASAP if you know where I can purchase one. Right (Passenger) Side of car.

·
Worthless reject member
43,817 Posts
If it's the large fan, you can buy them new. Look on rockauto.

Getting the small fan might be a trick. You can probably retrofit a large fan motor to a small fan blade, although the large fan motor sits deeper and may not fit in the shroud properly.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Might want to post in the want to buy section
No longer available. I have a Griffin radiator, so I contacted them. They made me a custom radiator shroud with two Spal fans. It was less expensive than buying new 05/06 fans. Either way, I would have to rewire. The 2004 cars used shunt coils in the motors for speed control and only two relays. That's why the motors have three wires each. One relay provides power to both fans. The shunt coils are connected in series to give 6 volts each and half speed for the fans. When the high speed relay closes, it opens the shunt coil circuit and the fans run on high. The 05/06 cars use a more standard setup with three relays to run the fans in series/parallel.

A side benefit is that there is a lot more room in front of the engine. I can reach straight down and touch the front sway bar. Never could with the stock fans. Changing the serpentine belt is cake now.

Reactions: vanrah

·
Registered
596 Posts
If it's the large fan, you can buy them new. Look on rockauto.

Getting the small fan might be a trick. You can probably retrofit a large fan motor to a small fan blade, although the large fan motor sits deeper and may not fit in the shroud properly.
The small fan is the one that's available (driver side). The larger right (passenger) fan is not available. Or at least it was last summer. Both fans are available for the 2005/2006 cars. The post above shows what I did.

I dug quite deep into this due to a failed right-hand fan. The one on Rock Auto shows "large" but also "left".

The fans and motors are apparently balanced as a unit and cant be swapped without rebalancing.

·
Worthless reject member
43,817 Posts
The small fan is the one that's available (driver side). The larger right (passenger) fan is not available. Or at least it was last summer. Both fans are available for the 2005/2006 cars. The post above shows what I did.

I dug quite deep into this due to a failed right-hand fan. The one on Rock Auto shows "large" but also "left".

The fans and motors are apparently balanced as a unit and cant be swapped without rebalancing.
Rockauto lists it as the large fan and you can see the weight on the blade in the picture. I also have replaced the large fan in my 04 this can verify it is the larger fan that is available. Unless something changed.

·
Worthless reject member
43,817 Posts
I think it is incorrectly listed as left. I have a new spare at home i will look at tomorrow morning and verify the part #.

The small fan blade is not balanced, btw. Just the large.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got some message me Just bought another set off ebay from a wrecked car

·
Worthless reject member
43,817 Posts
Ok, the spare i have is actually for my 05, but I still have the box for the large right side 04 fan i purchased. Pic of the fan installed in my 04 (in an 05/06 fan shroud no less since i converted my coolant system in my 04.)

Rockauto carries it for 155.79. Better to just buy a new new one i think, so it lasts. It is improperly listed as the left side for some reason.

I was wrong about the small fans not having weights, though. One of my small fan spares had a small weight on one of the blades, so i suppose they are balanced as well.

Running an unbalanced blade really just makes it a lot louder, though. I'm sure it probably causes some accelerated wear inside the motor or something, but it will still work. I have tried swapping blades around, a less preferable option, but you can get away with it.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Total cost for fan and shroud was $368.78. That's two high-flow Spal fans, which cost $20 more than the standard fans they offer. I can get replacement fans off-the-shelf, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
FYI I have extra 04 fans. Im using the small one but the big one is not being used. I converted my 04 to an 06 but you gotta use your old fan motors in the 06 shroud for harness reasons. I also have some 2 wire (06) fan motors with the pig tail cut as well. 2 extra 04 fan shrouds, and 2 04 radiators. I also have all of the hoses and reservoir tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts