LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone chase getting loss of value on their car from an insurance company here in Colorado?

The storm a couple nights ago turned the Mazda into a golf ball. Only had it four months. Was at the hospital for a baby class, so there was nothing I could do. Roof of our house looks toast too. Shitty thing is, since the car wasn't at the house, have to pay separate deductibles, instead of just one. Even though it is the same storm and we were only half a mile away.

Tahoe was outside in it, but nothing is wrong with it.

·
Chimp Daddy LLC
1,905 Posts
I have never heard of not needing to pay separate deductibles on multiple insured items. Each insurance policy has its own deductible doesn't it? Your home owners policy has its own and your Auto policy has its own.

I have never heard of an all encompassing single policy that covers both home and auto under a single deductible. Insurance companies try to bundle multiple policies together to save you money, but in the end they are all still separate unique policies covering a single item.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My nonlawyer understanding is that you cannot claim diminished value from your own insurance company. That is in the fine print. You can claim diminished value from a 3rd party's insurance company, ie - if you get rear ended.

Finding someone QUALIFiIED to write the diminished value report is difficult.

Sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, even if you bundle your house and car insurance through the same insurance company, they have separate deductibles. Down side is when you file two claims in one year they will raise your rates. That's why I don't have mine together.

·
Neat Freak
331 Posts
Some insurance companies only make you pay one deductible (the higher of the two) if both home and auto policies are affected by the same event. Allied Insurance, a Nationwide company is one that does this exact thing when you have both policies with them.

·
Neat Freak
331 Posts
Yep, even if you bundle your house and car insurance through the same insurance company, they have separate deductibles. Down side is when you file two claims in one year they will raise your rates. That's why I don't have mine together.
Totally depends on the carrier, most companies that write home insurance do not "charge" or rate you for the first wind/hail event as this is considered an act of god. If you live in an area that is prone to these type of events your rates will eventually go up anyway to compensate for the loss activity in your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts