LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Buy a Hybrid. I Need Your Gas
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Lou's short shifter with a white shift ball, took about 15 minutes total.

I didn't want to spend the 300 bucks for the GMM, at least without trying a cheaper option first, so I ordered Lou's short stick, and I gotta tell you it's AWESOME. There's a 30 degree bend in it that places the shifter exactly where you want it - no more reaching for 5th gear and reverse. Not only are the throws much shorter, but the shifting is alot more precise too, it just feels a helluva lot more solid than the stock shifter.

I'm sure the GMM is better for AutoXing or serious drag racing, but for everyday use, casual racing and for only 50 bucks you can't go wrong!

·
Raoul Duke
21 Posts
Sounds like what I am looking for, I can't see spending 300 dollars for a shifter, " Where do you get these wonderful toys"???

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never knew Lou made a shifter ;) ...more info please.

Edit: I just ordered one. :)

·
LS2 Love
47 Posts
That's crazy! I just did the same mod two days ago, with the white cue ball and everything. To check out a Lou's visit Afterthoughtsauto.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
BrockH01 said:
That's crazy! I just did the same mod two days ago, with the white cue ball and everything. To check out a Lou's visit Afterthoughtsauto.com
That's where I got mine.

Was the install a good one? Boot look right afterwards, or did it fit kinda loose and sloppy?

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
now my question is, would the short stick allow for more vibration noise then if i put on the stock shaft on to the gmm?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes it will let more noise and vibration through but I don't find it objectionable . And as detaildude pointed out it is shifter heaven . It positions the ball/knob where it's supposed to be down by your right leg instead of stuck way up in the air like alot of GM shifters . I wonder if they think we all want to feel as if we're shifting a truck .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi all

Any photos with the white ball attached and original boot?

George

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
I was told that Lou should have a version that accepts the stock knob out this month.

·
Registered
707 Posts
order placed:)

·
Buy a Hybrid. I Need Your Gas
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was the install a good one? Boot look right afterwards, or did it fit kinda loose and sloppy?
The insall was really easy. Here's the thread I used for help:
http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102925

After you take off the trim, pull up on the boot so it goes over the shifter handle and you'll see a small plastic ziptie holding the top of the shifter boot to the handle - you need to break this off, wire cutters work. then you can slide the boot back down over the shift rod and leave it there until you take off the handle.

For the handle, just pull up real hard. I had to straddle the center console to get enough leverage, but I'm not the strongest guy so you might be able to do it from the drivers seat lol. Just pull straight up, it'll come off.

After that, slide the boot off, with the foam shit they put there too, and you'll see 2 bolts that connect the shifter rod to the transmission rod, just take them off and remove the stock rod. Then install the Lou's rod with the included bolts on the FLAT side of the transmission rod, NOT the rounded side.

Then slide the boot back on, and install your favorite shifter ball (thread size M16x1.5) and you're done!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts