LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing the Keto thing for the last month. I'm a big fan. Down about 12 pounds for the month.

After the first couple of weeks, it got pretty easy. I don't crave carbs in the slightest. It's been hard eating out but that's okay because I've been cooking at home a shit ton more than I was. I've really started to enjoy cooking again.

For Valentine's, the wife and I decided we would cheat and have a sweet. I asked for a brownie and she asked for a donut. Both of us admitted to not craving them but we wanted to celebrate. I ate half the brownie, didn't enjoy it, immediately ate some meat to feel better and have felt gross all night. Wife didn't even eat her donut.

Just wanted to share the story.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Subbed and wanting to learn more. My misses just got hit with a pre-diabetic diagnosis with A1Cs in the low 7s so she's trying to make drastic changes to her diet to get back down. I want to be more supportive by helping her meal prep but don't know my way around the kitchen much. I know the change in eating habits is going to be the hardest for her while I can cold turkey go low carb no prob. Making it a easy transition is the challenge.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pizza hasn't been bad. The cauliflower crust is that good.

Subs have been really rough but I've started just stacking sandwich meat, cheese, mustard and rolling it up and eating it. Kills the sandwich craving.

Lunch is the hardest meal unless you are cool eating salad every day. I just have them make a salad version of whatever wrap or sandwich I would have normally ordered.

Breakfast is easy, eggs, meat, cheese, berries etc.

Dinner is pretty easy too. Plenty of good recipes out there and some I made up myself. I made keto cream of mushroom soup from scratch last night and half of it is in a slow cooker with pork chops. The other half will be part of a chicken and cauliflower rice casserole.

Chicken wings are amazing in the oven. Easy too.

One easy meal I whipped up on my own is literally laying out some Portobello mushrooms on a baking sheet, seasoning, added a chucking thigh to the too, smothering with cheese and then baking it in the other for 20-30 minutes. Super easy, no mess, and tasty.

·
Band
588 Posts
Working from home makes lunch easier. When I hit a down week before I'd just buy 4 or 5 tiny steaks and pan cook a steak every day.

Taco salad is amazing. Fajitas stuff is good too.

Beef sticks like these are also a great mini meal/snack. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/beef-sticks-2-lbs/prod4390153.ip Grab one plus a stick of cheddar and I'm golden for hours.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, we started grocery shopping twice a week which made things easy. Keep meat in the fridge without worry if it goes bad before you can use it.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
I'm nearly three weeks in to it. I'm hungry all the time, getting bored with the food, and miss feeling really satisfied after a meal. For instance, I had some BBQ recently and had a very healthy portion of brisket and ribs. I ate them, but not the bread or the potato salad - shortly after, I was still hungry. I'm stubborn, so I can stick with it (and be all in/no cheats) if it pays off, but I'm definitely not digging it at the moment.

Prior to the diet, I did eat too much (large portions), but I didn't eat what is often considered "bad" food. I rarely do fast food, the wife and I cook fresh food at home 28 days a month, we do low-to-no sodium, use whole grain pasta, etc. My weakness has always been Slurpees and ice cream. I consume a lot of those (not since the diet) and recognize that they are bad, but I don't otherwise snack on sweets much. I don't drink much and when I do it is whiskey served neat.

I miss ice cream, but it isn't a big deal. What I really miss is spaghetti and bread. I love sandwiches and garlic bread. Ditching spaghetti and bread has been the worst. Potatoes is not far behind.

After about 10 days, I dropped 5 pounds. Happy with that. I had a business trip and walked on egg shells to stick to the diet (no easy task), but did really well and was rewarded with gaining a pound afterwards :mrrg:. I'm back to down about 5 pounds. Exercise is a big component of weight loss and I certainly need to do more of that, so I'm not expecting miracles from keto, but the results compared to the shitty feeling for 3 weeks is a little iffy at the moment.

Maybe I just need some new recipes or something. Snack ideas would help, too. If the meals aren't going to be satisfying, I'm going to need snack more.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just fill up on veggies and mushrooms.

Baked chicken breast with a slice of ham and cheese over top makes a good easy meal.

The mushroom dish I mentioned.

I cooked mushrooms, chicken and broccoli in a wok and added some shredded cheddar cheese which mixed with the mushroom and chicken juice to make a really nice sauce.

Cauliflower everything, rice, mashed, pizza

A really good snack I found was smoked turkey legs from the grocery store. Stick them in a pan of water covered in foil for 2hrs at 250 degrees. They come out super tender and delicious. I throw them in a zip-loc and have ready to access meat for the week.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,226 Posts

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made some flaxseed crackers that were easy and surprisingly tasty. Super easy, just have to roll them out as thin as you can for maximum crunch.

·
Band
588 Posts
Mostly for bvbull200, but also just in general.

The beef sticks and cheese above is my go to snack. Nuts can also be pretty low carb depending on which kind you like. For me they help solve the "crunch" crave since basically nothing low carb is crunchy. The tiny prepackaged portions of them help a ton with self control. Can't grab just one more bite.

The feeling hungry can suck for a bit at first. For me this time it was about a week and a half. I think it helps if you can find something decent you can "fill up" on now and then. Thought after a bit it turns int an UGH full. I ate fajitas stuff tonight and still feel stuffed as hell 2 hours later.

I'm way too lazy for all their fancy recipes and even if I did make them I bet you $20 my wife and kids won't eat them at all. Besides the X meat and Y veggie, it might help if you think based on sauces/flavors you can eat. Mexican stuff rocks and most salsa is decent. Mustard is great, grill up some brats and eat them with mustard. Hot/buffalo, if you are eating some salads like for lunch throw in some buffalo chicken to spice the salad up a bit. Soy sauce too I believe (not a big fan of myself)

Tyson helps cover the lazy meats too at times. Fully cooked chicken slices you can drop right on a salad after nuking for a minute. Steak slices, chicken wings, etc. I also found these at the store last week but didn't buy any http://www.johnsonville.com/lines/flame-grilled-chicken.html Cheese sticks, cheese slices, grated cheese, all different kinds.

I also have a kind of general salad rule. I only add 2 things to it plus the dressing. Reason being I can have more different things more often to try to stop getting tired of any single one. I use the same rule with my eggs.

I'd say just go spend an hour or so roaming the grocery store on a quieter night slowly. Read a bunch of labels and see what you can some up with.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,226 Posts
Yep, nuts and seeds are good options. Almonds are one of the lowest carbed nut around, Macadamias are good too (but pricey). Also, foods that take longer to eat (like shelled peanuts) seem to provide some fixation too. Also, when I'm workin on something or out in the yard, sunflower seeds in the shell. Pretty low carb, you can snack on them for an hour and take in like 2g of carbs.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just made an omlette with provolone and mushrooms. Super easy, tasty and very few carbs.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
I've been using almonds as a snack and the occasional summer sausage and cheese combo. Not bad.

The wife made "egg roll in a bowl" last night and it was tasty, just not filling, again.

For lunch, we had a BBQ food truck again and I had sliced brisket and sausage links. I actually couldn't finish it all, which I'll gladly take. It was pretty damn satisfying.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Carb Balance tortillas are actually pretty good. Nice to make a little wrap with tuna/chicken salad, or even tacos once in awhile.
Funny you should say that because I just bought some low carb tortillas at the store.

Came home, cooked up some mushrooms with spices. Wiped out the pan and cooked some ground beef with my own mexican spices (those packaged ones have a ton of carbs from the corn starch and sugar). Wiped out the pan and threw down a torilla.

Little cheese blend, little bit of meat and mushroom, folded it over and we had delicious quesadillas for lunch. 5 carbs for the tortilla, 2 for the cheese, figure 1 for the spices. Not a bad meal for 8 carbs.

I have the leftover meat and mushrooms in the fridge with enough left over to probably make 4-6 more of them. Took maybe 25 minutes start to finish and only used one pan. That's easy enough for everyone especially considering you get multiple meals.

·
Pirate Spud
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been using almonds as a snack and the occasional summer sausage and cheese combo. Not bad.

The wife made "egg roll in a bowl" last night and it was tasty, just not filling, again.

For lunch, we had a BBQ food truck again and I had sliced brisket and sausage links. I actually couldn't finish it all, which I'll gladly take. It was pretty damn satisfying.
Start drinking seltzer/club soda. I drink two liters at least every day and it keeps me feeling full.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts