LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Concerning switching to a different heat exchanger due to wanting to keep the DuSpeed, couldn't you also just cut off the apron on the DuSpeed and use the supplied Maggie heat exchanger?
i think the intake of it still sits where the maggie would be. my xair rode directly down the front of the condensor which is where the maggie would be

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
i think the intake of it still sits where the maggie would be. my xair rode directly down the front of the condensor which is where the maggie would be
But unlike the XAir, the air filter of the DuSpeed almost entirely sits on top of the radiator. The filter in the DuSpeed is long (horizontal) and narrow (vertical). The only part that drops down in front of the condenser/radiator is an apron. Not entirely sure what the apron is there to do other than to help direct air to the air filter, but the air filter will draw its own air through engine vacuum.

Actually, I'd think a Vararam would be a decent option with a Maggie, but maybe the TB would sit too high to work well with a Vararam. I actually liked my Vararam quite a lot especially when I ducted it to the hood scoops, but I moved on to the DuSpeed since it looks so much better.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
But unlike the XAir, the air filter of the DuSpeed almost entirely sits on top of the radiator. The filter in the DuSpeed is long (horizontal) and narrow (vertical). The only part that drops down in front of the condenser/radiator is an apron. Not entirely sure what the apron is there to do other than to help direct air to the air filter, but the air filter will draw its own air through engine vacuum.

Actually, I'd think a Vararam would be a decent option with a Maggie, but maybe the TB would sit too high to work well with a Vararam. I actually liked my Vararam quite a lot especially when I ducted it to the hood scoops, but I moved on to the DuSpeed since it looks so much better.
able to grab a picture? i didnt realize the filter physically sat above the condensor/radiator

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
able to grab a picture? i didnt realize the filter physically sat above the condensor/radiator
Hard to see in an installed photo, but here is a photo of mine on my car and the face of the air filter roughly circled in red. You can see the bottom edge of the filter in the photo. It sits in the housing leaning somewhat forward with the top edge of the filter further toward the bumper than the lower edge of the filter. It is a biotch to remove and replace.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Had a couple photos left over from the other day. Duspeed for Maggie...

This photo below looking right down the end as it overlaps the condenser slightly

I think if this baffle is removed the Duspeed would be pulling at least some portion of pre-heated air across the heat exchanger.

·
GR-RRR!
6,635 Posts
More useful pictures than mine! But do you think the Maggie cooler would fit if the baffle was cut off or does that section of the filter housing still sit low enough to interfere with the Maggie cooler if it were there?

Personally, I've never liked that baffle/apron on the DuSpeed since it seems to me it is blocking air from getting to the condenser and radiator. It has to be there for a reason, but I can't honestly think of a very good one.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
More useful pictures than mine! But do you think the Maggie cooler would fit if the baffle was cut off or does that section of the filter housing still sit low enough to interfere with the Maggie cooler if it were there?

Personally, I've never liked that baffle/apron on the DuSpeed since it seems to me it is blocking air from getting to the condenser and radiator. It has to be there for a reason, but I can't honestly think of a very good one.
i think the only way ive seen people fit both is to push the radiator/condenser back. thats digging through old threads.

i do believe dimensionally the maggie hx will fit under the rad support but have to figure out how to mount it. i dont have it to verify yet though

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Found a picture of when I could see the garage floor...

Looks like about 1.5" (2 condenser fin spacings heights) of clearance underneath to move the maggie hx down before it hits the lower radiator bracket. That's really tight if you're planning to also have a Duspeed.

Looks like at least 3 condenser core fin spacings of overlap height at the top

I don't think it will fit under the Duspeed

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm sure the intent is to get the coolest and freshest air from the front grille to feed the intake even at the expense of having less and warmer air for the condenser and radiator. But I agree its difficult to tell if it's helping much.
  • If anything, to get to the fresh air to the intake when at a stoplight, the baffle should probably extend further forward (but the Duspeed is already an awkward shape to ship and install)
  • The forward position of the low mount heat exchanger makes a bit of a pre-heater for intake air with the Duspeed
  • With the Duspeed setup and limited front grill area, there is definitely some competition for fresh air

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I adjusted mine slightly tonight. The power steering bracket bent a few of the backside fins and i found rocks already stuck in the front fins..

So i eliminated the vertical brackets on the power steering line. added two 90* brackets that have slots in them for the bottom lfp standoff so those will physically hold the hx up vs the little studs. I also moved it forward slightly. Reused one of the plastic ps line clips and ziptied to my bracket.

I think you could get creative to shove the maggie hx under the core support. I measured just about 14.5 inches to the black plastic duct.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts