LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
PBM 04/M6 LSS C5 Pads DBA 05/06Rears SAP stuff JBA shorties CAI Granatellis 06 Tails
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys I wanted to make a post to ask some questions about what all is involved when switching to coilovers, and/or if it’s a good move given my current finances and goals for the car.

I have about $1000 to spend on some suspension parts and won’t be able to spend any more for a while. My front strut mounts are blown to smithereens, front and rear shocks feel shot and rear springs are also beginning to sag (the rear of the car is about a 1/4” lower than the front based on wheel centerline to fender lip measurements.)

I want the car to sit sort of level in the rear (maybe about the height it is now but properly tuned) while going about 3/4” lower in the front. I also will be getting tires soon after as my current BFG a/s have nearly 20k on them and have all kinds of uneven wear. I’ve had a pair of barely used Cooper Zeon RS3-A 245/45r17s in my garage for a few years, I thought I’d run those up front and then get the same tires in 275/40r17 for the rears (But now I’d have to get RS3-G1s as they don’t make the RS3-A’s anymore.) To do that I’d probably need drag bags as well to avoid any rubbing (running the stock 17x8s).

If money were no issue, I’d just run some lovells drop springs F&R w/ rear drag bags, super pro poly strut mounts & KONI adjustables Front&Rear then just call it a day… but the KONIs alone are near $900 shipped.

-Megan Racing coilover kit new, shipped
$705 dollars
-New rubber OEM mounts ($80 shipped)
-Wouldn’t need rear bags obviously

Or
-Set of front Monroe struts and mounts ($315 shipped)
-Set of rear KYB or Monroe shocks ($150 shipped)
-Set of 4 Pedders -20mm lowering springs ($450 shipped)
(would really want to run 35mm fronts 20mm rears, or do the 20mm/20mm and maybe add a 5mm spacer to the rear… but all of this could still yield different results as I’ve read on here over the years that different goats vary in height even with the same springs as someone else’s ride.)

Just based on the math alone it would cost me north of $900 to slightly lower the goat and upgrade everything a bit with the Pedders or Lovells springs (Lovells are even more $$) Hope and pray it’s the stance I want, while returning the suspension to its original “when new” feel, yet maybe slightly upgraded with the springs but still factoryish struts/shocks.

OR

With the set of Megans, I could fine tune the ride height, know that I’ll be getting a more rigid upgraded suspension system and also potentially run larger tires or wheels in the future all while spending barely $700 to get them shipped to me.
I’ve read nothing but great reviews about them by people who’ve installed and ran them.. on here and on other sites.
(Also a massive weight savings of 40lbs over the stock parts)

I’ve read some other posts from Andy at Kollar Racing about how expensive it can be to go to coils, find out I don’t like them, then switch back to oem shock/spring.
I’m just basically looking for a bit of assurance before pulling the trigger as it’s a decent amount of cash to be dropping at once and I want to do it right the first time while getting the best bang for my buck.
A slightly upgraded shock/spring combo will cost me a lot more $ I don’t have but would keep the suspension setup OEM (which I’m not opposed to)

Any and all feedback is appreciated… try not to roast me🤣 I’ll be doing all the work myself, and if I can save myself tearing the car apart more than once then that’s also a big plus.

·
Registered
PBM 04/M6 LSS C5 Pads DBA 05/06Rears SAP stuff JBA shorties CAI Granatellis 06 Tails
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shock/spring combo ftw

call andy and get what you need
really!? And are you saying that for comforts sake? Or what. And with that being said, I wonder if Andy could hook me up with springs/struts and shocks for $800 if I already bought the mounts too. Was hoping for more hype on the affordable coilovers and their versatility but I’ve never pulled the suspension apart on a goat yet so I have no clue 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you want to add a wider wheel upfront(8.5-9) for better handling you'll need to do front coilovers. In the rear you can do Lovells 320mm springs wihich will give you a really nice stance. The shocks u will want with those springs, are Pedders Koni or KYB. You can do a drag bag if you want for added stiffness or if you want to really have some control over your rear end do a set of Viking adjustable rear shocks.

With front coilovers and the rear adjustables you'll have more control over comfort or stiffness in all 4 corners.

Also you want a set of wheels with an upfront offset of +45 and if you want to tuck a 275-285mm wide wheel (9.5-10) wide wheel with little to no mods you'll want to go with an offset of +50 in the rear.
Anything wider in the rear and you'll have to start to roll fenders and or modifying your rear suspension.
Good luck

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to add a wider wheel upfront(8.5-9) for better handling you'll need to do front coilovers. In the rear you can do Lovells 320mm springs wihich will give you a really nice stance. The shocks u will want with those springs, are Pedders Koni or KYB. You can do a drag bag if you want for added stiffness or if you want to really have some control over your rear end do a set of Viking adjustable rear shocks.

With front coilovers and the rear adjustables you'll have more control over comfort or stiffness in all 4 corners.

Also you want a set of wheels with an upfront offset of +45 and if you want to tuck a 275-285mm wide wheel (9.5-10) wide wheel with little to no mods you'll want to go with an offset of +50 in the rear.
Anything wider in the rear and you'll have to start to roll fenders and or modifying your rear suspension.
Good luck
I didn’t plan on running wider up front just thought it would be nice to have that option. Just a pair of front BCs are the exact same price as a full set of Megans. And no didn’t really wanna roll the rears hence why I mentioned the dbs. Thanks for all the information that’s rad I appreciate it.
Don’t you have to remove something up front when installing front coil overs? I’m so torn just based on money.
Also, you can’t find KYBs anywhere for the driver side or one of the front sides I think rh actually. All I know is all that’s available online are the front left hand I believe and rear shocks if you look hard enough

there’s a full set on GTOG8TA of some random brand front struts and rear shocks for like 150 or something super affordable. I guess I’m just worried about having to buy springs and everything else and hoping for a proper stance
Thanks again my dude I’m gonna maybe send a message to Andy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Id do the cheap coil overs, not sure if the 650 bc from mavman is that price shipped or not.
I'd budget some whiteline struct bushings. I do the front and rear radius bushings at the same time if possible. As all the stock rubber needs swapped if not done already.
Hell yea bro thanks this is kinda the answer I was looking for 😂. I was gonna grab some rubber nice looking ones for 80, but also had my eyes on the super pro ones that are $200 shipped. What would you recommend with the Whiteline strut mounts vs the super pro? I believe the Whiteline ones are even more but on coilover depot they’re 649 (705 shipped) and they have a deal with the Whiteline strut mounts for like 849 I believe.

For all the things I want it just seems like such a good option, but again I’ve never pulled any of the suspension so I wouldn’t know..(well I’ve done all the brakes front and rear and I did the front chassis poly radius rod bushings a few thousand miles ago (did some Nolathane poly ones love them)

just so I’m clear, there’s no radius rod in the rear of the car right you just mean the rear bushings on the front rods themselves ?I know I’ll need to do all the control arm bushings and stuff eventually (and the Megans also come with end links too!) as I was going to buy a pair of MOOG heavy duty end links with the shock/spring combo and that’s another 100 right there!
Thanks again for the input

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
783 Posts
The radius rods are ONLY in the front of the car. They attach into the lower control arm and into the engine cradle via a bushing (with one centralized larger nylock nut -- I believe it's 24mm -- and 4 smaller 13mm nuts 👈 this is PER SIDE). The rear has 2 articulations in the lower control arm. The third is further towards the rear where the shock absorber bolts into the LCA. (and then up, through the wheel well).

Here are some pictures of the radius rod:

from the front aspect:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

From the rear aspect:

Automotive tire Tire Light Tread Wheel

I know Koni makes rear shocks (are around $200).
Honestly, Andrew Kollar is THE GUY to go to when it comes to GTO suspension parts. He has forgotten more than most people know about these cars! His customer service is awesome.

Chances are, you wont have to replace that radius rod, unless someone really fookered up that car. But, if you are...Everyone who has removed this nut(☝ directly above ☝ ), correct me if I'm wrong!!!

PS -- if you're doing radius rods, SOAK the living Ba-JEEZIS out of that rear nut in penetrating oil, for as long as humanly possible. When you're going to remove it, make sure you wipe it real clean! The sides of that nut is not very wide and it's REAL easy to slip off of it. It is extremely shallow and there isn't a lot to hold onto. You DO NOT want to strip it!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I didn’t plan on running wider up front just thought it would be nice to have that option. Just a pair of front BCs are the exact same price as a full set of Megans. And no didn’t really wanna roll the rears hence why I mentioned the dbs. Thanks for all the information that’s rad I appreciate it.
Don’t you have to remove something up front when installing front coil overs? I’m so torn just based on money.
Also, you can’t find KYBs anywhere for the driver side or one of the front sides I think rh actually. All I know is all that’s available online are the front left hand I believe and rear shocks if you look hard enough

there’s a full set on GTOG8TA of some random brand front struts and rear shocks for like 150 or something super affordable. I guess I’m just worried about having to buy springs and everything else and hoping for a proper stance
Thanks again my dude I’m gonna maybe send a message to Andy.
Here are 2 struts and 2 rear shocls all on ebay.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Font
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Shotgun Font
Office supplies Font Writing implement Office instrument Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hell yea bro thanks this is kinda the answer I was looking for 😂. I was gonna grab some rubber nice looking ones for 80, but also had my eyes on the super pro ones that are $200 shipped. What would you recommend with the Whiteline strut mounts vs the super pro? I believe the Whiteline ones are even more but on coilover depot they’re 649 (705 shipped) and they have a deal with the Whiteline strut mounts for like 849 I believe.

For all the things I want it just seems like such a good option, but again I’ve never pulled any of the suspension so I wouldn’t know..(well I’ve done all the brakes front and rear and I did the front chassis poly radius rod bushings a few thousand miles ago (did some Nolathane poly ones love them)

just so I’m clear, there’s no radius rod in the rear of the car right you just mean the rear bushings on the front rods themselves ?I know I’ll need to do all the control arm bushings and stuff eventually (and the Megans also come with end links too!) as I was going to buy a pair of MOOG heavy duty end links with the shock/spring combo and that’s another 100 right there!
Thanks again for the input
I'd get any brand as long as its a poly version. I get whileline as its the cheapest. Yes, i mean the rear bushing as people are lazy and only do half of a component for some reason.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd get any brand as long as its a poly version. I get whileline as its the cheapest. Yes, i mean the rear bushing as people are lazy and only do half of a component for some reason.
Yea I was one of those “lazy” ones but totally didn’t even realize I could’ve done them both at the same time.
I’m learning as I go. All my builds before the goat were old style live axle s10s or Silverados lol (also had a cavalier z24 when I was a kid 😂) but the Aussie goat Is all new to me basically anytime I tackle a job.
I’ve done everything myself to the goat minus his oil pan gasket

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And also just based on what you shared, that’s like $350 + shipped for the KYBs, then springs are $450-$500 shipped and we’re already $150 over the coils not including end links, strut mounts, rear bags etc.

If the front struts are interchangeable like the rears tho that’s super interesting and changes things. I just could’ve sworn that the front struts were side specific ..
Think I might be leaning toward the megans with some Whiteline or super pro poly mounts. Then I should have a bit extra to grab the rear rad rod bushings. I’ll get my tires situated and call it a day till next year.
How hard is it to “go back” to a shock spring combo in the future if I for some reason ever wanted to? Just save my strut braces or whatever gets removed up front during the coil install?

just remembered I also wanted to grab some motor mounts and a trans mount or at least the RevShift insert.
Thanks again for all your guys’s help I really appreciate it

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The radius rods are ONLY in the front of the car. They attach into the lower control arm and into the engine cradle via a bushing (with one centralized larger nylock nut -- I believe it's 24mm -- and 4 smaller 13mm nuts 👈 this is PER SIDE). The rear has 2 articulations in the lower control arm. The third is further towards the rear where the shock absorber bolts into the LCA. (and then up, through the wheel well).

Here are some pictures of the radius rod:

from the front aspect:

View attachment 520543

From the rear aspect:

View attachment 520544

Honestly, Andrew Kollar is THE GUY to go to when it comes to GTO suspension parts. He has forgotten more than most people know about these cars! His customer service is awesome.

Chances are, you wont have to replace that radius rod, unless someone really fookered up that car. But, if you are...Everyone who has removed this nut(☝ directly above ☝ ), correct me if I'm wrong!!!

PS -- if you're doing radius rods, SOAK the living Ba-JEEZIS out of that rear nut in penetrating oil, for as long as humanly possible. When you're going to remove it, make sure you wipe it real clean! The sides of that nut is not very wide and it's REAL easy to slip off of it. It is extremely shallow and there isn't a lot to hold onto. You DO NOT want to strip it!!!
Just saw this reply I’m slow with this shit. Yea man I already did the front rad rod to chassis bushings. I just didn’t do the rears of the radius rod. I’ll do those when I tear everything apart.
The front radius rod to chassis bushings were complete cake to install. I did both sides in under 30 minutes on jack stands.
I even took them apart at one point like a week lafter not liking the way it drove with the OEM large washer on the driver side that’s there for road crown, and made them both the same camber or caster set up whatever standard was on the sheet minus that big washer.
Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the rear aspect:

View attachment 520544

Chances are, you wont have to replace that radius rod, unless someone really fookered up that car. But, if you are...Everyone who has removed this nut(☝ directly above ☝ ), correct me i

I’ll take all that into consideration. And yea I’ve even priced out KONIs on eBay vs GTOG8TA and Kollar. They’re all close to the same. Found two front inserts one for $215 (average price per) and the cheapest one for $150 “used” but it was never actually used just taken out the box.
And the rears I see for about $200 a piece too. Price wise KONIs are way out just because for the price of a full set will pretty much take up all my dough.
Im gonna send Andy a message.

thanks for the rear rad rod info!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wait so are the front struts the same? I’m aware the rear shocks are the same both sides, Maverick Man has a set of rear KYBs for 80 bucks dirt cheap.
But the front struts are the same number? Even Andy addressed this a couple months ago that KYB has been out of right hand struts.
aren’t they side specific?
No I'm sorry I grabbed the wrong pic. It's a 334680
My apologies

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I'm sorry I grabbed the wrong pic. It's a 334680
My apologies
Oh okay yea I was like wait a minute! Last question before I pull the trigger, so far plans are to purchase tomorrow morning,
Megan coilover kit $705 shipped

KYB strut mounts (found a set of $90 shipped just wondering if they come with the bearings ?)

and some rear rad rod bushings for like $50 I found some on Kollar and some on eBay for around the same price.
If anyone thinks I’m missing anything let me know!

These are the KYB mounts I was gonna grab. The white lines are nice but are also over $200 shipped like the super pros

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone ordered or bought the KYB strut mounts before? Most of the rubber and synthetic or poly ones come with bearings but I can’t for the life of me find out if the KYB mounts have the bearings included or not

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you looked at this combo- megan coilovers with whiteline strut mounts for $877

04-06 Pontiac GTO Megan Racing Coilovers- EZI Series - coiloverdepot.com
This would be the one I’ve been talking about since inception of the idea lol. The mounts are $233 from them I’d rather pay the 705 and get some mounts for $100 or less. I still have some other things to buy and Andy never responded to my question so probably gonna pull the trigger on the Megans. Watched a dude install the same kit on his Miata with great review

1 - 20 of 49 Posts