LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
PBM 04/M6 LSS C5 Pads DBA 05/06Rears SAP stuff JBA shorties CAI Granatellis 06 Tails
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Registered
The radius rods are ONLY in the front of the car. They attach into the lower control arm and into the engine cradle via a bushing (with one centralized larger nylock nut -- I believe it's 24mm -- and 4 smaller 13mm nuts 馃憟 this is PER SIDE). The rear has 2 articulations in the lower control arm. The third is further towards the rear where the shock absorber bolts into the LCA. (and then up, through the wheel well).

Here are some pictures of the radius rod:

from the front aspect:

View attachment 520543

From the rear aspect:

View attachment 520544

I know Koni makes rear shocks (are around $200).
Honestly, Andrew Kollar is THE GUY to go to when it comes to GTO suspension parts. He has forgotten more than most people know about these cars! His customer service is awesome.

Chances are, you wont have to replace that radius rod, unless someone really fookered up that car. But, if you are...Everyone who has removed this nut(鈽 directly above 鈽 ), correct me if I'm wrong!!!

PS -- if you're doing radius rods, SOAK the living Ba-JEEZIS out of that rear nut in penetrating oil, for as long as humanly possible. When you're going to remove it, make sure you wipe it real clean! The sides of that nut is not very wide and it's REAL easy to slip off of it. It is extremely shallow and there isn't a lot to hold onto. You DO NOT want to strip it!!!
What brand control arm is that? Never seen it before.

Registered
PBM 04/M6 LSS C5 Pads DBA 05/06Rears SAP stuff JBA shorties CAI Granatellis 06 Tails
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are we looking at the same thing? They sell the Megan setup for $650, Pedders OEM strut mounts for $98 or the whiteline mounts for 233
didn鈥檛 you JUST post the megan/ WHITELINE combo was $877? I鈥檝e had the coilover depot package saved for weeks as a bookmark because they鈥檙e the cheapest. That鈥檚 the only place I鈥檝e even been considering. MavMan has them for $100 dollars more and other spots about $50 more. Coilover depot is $705 shipped for the coilovers. With the Whiteline mounts it鈥檚 about a grand shipped.
i also need rear rad rod bushings and a couple other things hence why I said 705 for the Megan鈥檚 andwas gonna get a pair of OEM style mounts for under $100. I don鈥檛 see Pedders mounts on there I鈥檒l have to check again but the Whitelines are too much. Rather just get Super pros.
Also need some silicone rad hoses and might grab motor mounts as well well see when I get paid in the morning

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
didn鈥檛 you JUST post the megan/ WHITELINE combo was $877? I鈥檝e had the coilover depot package saved for weeks as a bookmark because they鈥檙e the cheapest. That鈥檚 the only place I鈥檝e even been considering. MavMan has them for $100 dollars more and other spots about $50 more. Coilover depot is $705 shipped for the coilovers. With the Whiteline mounts it鈥檚 about a grand shipped.
i also need rear rad rod bushings and a couple other things hence why I said 705 for the Megan鈥檚 andwas gonna get a pair of OEM style mounts for under $100. I don鈥檛 see Pedders mounts on there I鈥檒l have to check again but the Whitelines are too much. Rather just get Super pros.
Also need some silicone rad hoses and might grab motor mounts as well well see when I get paid in the morning
Well I just saw the Pedders mounts on there for $98鈥 without the bearings. With the bearings they鈥檙e $170鈥 I can grab a set of KYB ones tho for even less and they seem like they potentially could be better quality or Monroe. Just hard to tell online which ones come with the bearings and which ones don鈥檛.
Hasn鈥檛 there been negative feedback on the Pedders mounts? Or are they any better than the OEM ones? They look almost identical to the 60-70 dollar ones on eBay with the yellow bearings and those actually come with the bearings unlike the Pedders mentioned.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What brand control arm is that? Never seen it before.
Might be a Pedders control arm? I know Pedders made steering racks for our cars at one time I believe but not sure on their color.
All the control arms I鈥檝e seen over the years for our cars are black. On second thought could also be a BMR or SLP one potentially. All used to make parts for our car or still do in some application.

Registered
2004 GTO
didn鈥檛 you JUST post the megan/ WHITELINE combo was $877? I鈥檝e had the coilover depot package saved for weeks as a bookmark because they鈥檙e the cheapest.
Yeah sorry I am late to the party. I messaged the seller on the KYB mounts they didnt know either on the bearings. Just ordered the Megan/Whitelines mine came to 3 bucks under a grand with the cool keychain.
Thanks for doing all my research for me Bud, saved me a lot of time

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah sorry I am late to the party. I messaged the seller on the KYB mounts they didnt know either on the bearings. Just ordered the Megan/Whitelines mine came to 3 bucks under a grand with the cool keychain.
Thanks for doing all my research for me Bud, saved me a lot of time
You bastard! Lmao how dare you order before me! I need to order now. Lmao and that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 here for! 馃槀 I found a set of nice mounts for 80, the 鈥渦pdated ones鈥 鈥 those and the Megans are looking good.
Also, anyonetried the solid Delrin motor mounts? Made in USA and look halfway decent

Font Audio equipment Electronic device Auto part Titanium

Registered
2004 GTO
HaHa yep that add to cart button gets me every time! That old saying about money can't buy happiness is total BS because buying this kinda shit always makes me smile

Kollar Racing Products
Andy Did respond. yesterday. I just returned from my Vacation, I was off the grid. You want me to advise on product lines I dont or won't sell from other vendors. The least expensive struts or coilovers I carry are Pedders. KYB discontinued the manufacture of struts. There are absolutely no RIGHT KYBS left in the US. I have no idea who manufactures the strut you reference. The budget you gave me is unrealistic to lower the car correctly .There is no reason for me to get involved.

I doubt the Megan vendor told you that you need a camber adjuster installed in the rear. All coilovers lower the car even on the highest settings. Failure to add a camber adjuster will result in excess camber and the rear tires will wear rapidly. Did you ask Vendor X if the Megans come with upper shock bushings?

I believe those Control Arms are Spohn. This product was discontinued many years ago. The casting were failing at the rear radius rod. Slam on the brakes and the control arm breaks. You need to budget a set of control arms. This should be your priority. By the way...I have only one pair of rear radius rod nuts left...this product is discontinued by GM and Holden. I do not know if I can get more, but its at least 6 weeks.

No Name Motor Mount. Is this stock height, raised or lowered? How firm is the mount. Unfortunately Pedders discontinued their mount along time ago. Depending on your brand of headers, you may have clearance problems. Too firm and the mounts will rattle your teeth.

If ride quality is your priority. You should do struts/ shocks with lowering springs. The Pedders strut will work with a lowering spring. KYB wasn't ideal but it worked. How much drop will the no names strut tolerate?

If handling is your priority. Coilovers are great. The ride even on the softest setting will SIGNIFICANTLY firmer than conventional strut/spring. If this is your daily, coilovers maybe to firm for daily driver detail. No matter how you spin it...a 165LB front conventional aftermarket spring will have better ride quality than a 450lb Front Coilover.

I am firm believer in doing it right the first time. Doing it wrong always costs more money in the long run. I would rather sell nothing than sell a headache.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Andy Did respond. yesterday. I just returned from my Vacation, I was off the grid. You want me to advise on product lines I dont or won't sell from other vendors. The least expensive struts or coilovers I carry are Pedders. KYB discontinued the manufacture of struts. There are absolutely no RIGHT KYBS left in the US. I have no idea who manufactures the strut you reference. The budget you gave me is unrealistic to lower the car correctly .There is no reason for me to get involved.

I doubt the Megan vendor told you that you need a camber adjuster installed in the rear. All coilovers lower the car even on the highest settings. Failure to add a camber adjuster will result in excess camber and the rear tires will wear rapidly. Did you ask Vendor X if the Megans come with upper shock bushings?

I believe those Control Arms are Spohn. This product was discontinued many years ago. The casting were failing at the rear radius rod. Slam on the brakes and the control arm breaks. You need to budget a set of control arms. This should be your priority. By the way...I have only one pair of rear radius rod nuts left...this product is discontinued by GM and Holden. I do not know if I can get more, but its at least 6 weeks.

No Name Motor Mount. Is this stock height, raised or lowered? How firm is the mount. Unfortunately Pedders discontinued their mount along time ago. Depending on your brand of headers, you may have clearance problems. Too firm and the mounts will rattle your teeth.

If ride quality is your priority. You should do struts/ shocks with lowering springs. The Pedders strut will work with a lowering spring. KYB wasn't ideal but it worked. How much drop will the no names strut tolerate?

If handling is your priority. Coilovers are great. The ride even on the softest setting will SIGNIFICANTLY firmer than conventional strut/spring. If this is your daily, coilovers maybe to firm for daily driver detail. No matter how you spin it...a 165LB front conventional aftermarket spring will have better ride quality than a 450lb Front Coilover.

I am firm believer in doing it right the first time. Doing it wrong always costs more money in the long run. I would rather sell nothing than sell a headache.
Well, the car needs things鈥 like yesterday.. lol and like you said do it once and do it right. So I was 鈥渢rying鈥 to do that on a budget. I just dropped close to 2 grand on a rear end rebuild in may and haven鈥檛 had the funds to do the things I want to.
The fact that ANY shock and spring combo is more expensive than a set of adjustable coilovers and strut mounts is what led me to that final decision.

I didn鈥檛 know you were off the grid, I was just trying to accumulate as much info as I could before pulling the trigger as I have catastrophically failing parts that need to come out and be swapped asap. Should鈥檝e been done months ago 鈥ut rear end go boom

I didn鈥檛 want to drop 500 on some new struts and mounts, tear the car apart, then spend thousands in a few months tearing it apart again to do it 鈥渞ight鈥 as I am doing all the labor on the car, and don鈥檛 have that kind of time or disposable funds. So my options were wait for months on end and have something fail while driving, or just try and budget a set up with the funds I have. I鈥檓 aware 1000 bucks ain鈥檛 shit. It鈥檚 just what I have.

I have never read a single negative review about the Megan coilovers for our cars except only from people who鈥檝e never installed or tried them. I鈥檝e never tried them either, hence why I was on here asking questions. But I鈥檝e read at least 5 or 6 different people鈥檚 reviews and they were all 5 stars and they were all very descriptive and informative as to how nice these are for the price. That鈥檚 all I can go off of as it鈥檚 just me by myself doing everything laborious to the car and I have no one else to ask these ??s.

No, coilover depot mentioned nothing about upper shock bushings for the rear or anything about a camber kit. I will now have to contact them and see what I can do.
Also, wanting to throw some 275 tires on the rear, I knew that I鈥檇 need drag bags as well if lowered and that鈥檚 just one more $150 dollar item.
I鈥檓 aware all this stuff costs a lot.. especially on a discontinued Australian car with discontinued parts. I was just trying to make the best with what I have and hopefully upgrade the car a bit while doing so.

Im going to call CoiloverDepot here in a bit and ask about those items as it sounds pretty imperative.
Thanks again for replying

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Wow didnt know that! They are described as ride height adjustable, I wanted to raise mine a little higher than the worn out stock stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the camber adjusters
Yea man, I watched this dude (555 garage or something like that on YouTube) put the exact same coilovers on his Miata, and you can tell just from the size of the components that it would lower the car inherently even on standard height settings. Just the nature of a coil over I suppose.
Let me know what you find out if you do as I鈥檓 probably in the same boat you are as we just ordered the same set on the same day lol

Registered
2004 GTO
I have seen pictures and reviews recently of other cars on this site with the Megans and the ride height was right about where I want mine, so I am not too worried I will post pics of mine when its done. You will beat me to it though because I still have alot to do before I get to the suspension.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have seen pictures and reviews recently of other cars on this site with the Megans and the ride height was right about where I want mine, so I am not too worried I will post pics of mine when its done. You will beat me to it though because I still have alot to do before I get to the suspension.
Nice man I will post pics as well. After I did my SAP grilles and badges It really made me want the car even lower. Stock height looks nice from the side and from afar but not front or rear imo.
I just emailed coilover Depot about the parts Andy mentioned. I wanted to try an tackle this this weekend but we will see. If I can do the camber kit after install that might be nice. Otherwise I don鈥檛 know what it is I鈥檓 even looking for til I tear the car apart

All of the coil installs I鈥檝e seen looked pretty damn straight forward.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts