LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,616 Posts
^^^ He's not wrong.
Since it sounds like you're learning this stuff for the first time: The Truth About BC Racing Suspension | Fitment Industries
Controversy over BC Selling to Other Companies to White-Label

So, a lot of BC’s controversy comes from the fact that they are a private label company. What this means is that BC will sell their own products to another company. That company will then attach their brand to that product and sell it under that. The reason why this has a lot of people upset is that when you are buying a product from another company, you won’t know who actually made it in the end. There are reasons why a company would choose to private label from BC instead of building from scratch such as saving R&D for simpler parts but that’s a long story for another day.

All of the coilovers for the GTO, besides KW, are some form of BC Racing white-label brand. Megan, BC, Pedders, whatever, they all use the same BC specific 62mm spring up front and almost identical shock bodies. There are some minor differences in the quality of parts, and maybe the internal shock valving, but none of them will provide a smooth ride.
Wood Font Circle Electric blue Jewellery
Light Automotive lighting Audio equipment Household hardware Gas
Font Art Audio equipment Auto part Event

All of the above will provide reduced suspension travel due to the universal shock cartridges inside of car-specific mounting parts.

Here's some videos that explain things from folks that know about chassis things.
Lots of great suspension information that is platform agnostic in the first video.

If you're not going wide with your front tires and not prioritizing handling over ride, then go struts with nice springs with a mild lowering.
You have a car with an LS, nothing good is cheap. Even if you're not paying real Corvette-tax, Holden-tax is becoming a thing.

Kollar is one of very few vendors that have GTO specific knowledge akin to those videos above.

Reactions: Duckman

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,634 Posts
I love "HALF " Stories. Respectfully, Why should I get involved in your project? You have made it perfectly clear that you have no desire to purchase anything from me. You want me to help you determine if products from Coilover Depot and GTOG8TA will meet your needs. I am not going to sell another vendors product or do tech support for them. I have all ready provided more "Tech Support" for your project than Coilover Depot has. I am sure whatever you buy it will be the most wonderful product ever.

"i want to lower the car a bit while also greatly improving handling. It’s a 2004 with 70k miles, blown out strut mounts and I’m sure the shocks are too
I have about a grand to spend total, no more and with that in mind wanted to grab a set of Megan coilovers for all 4 corners for $700 shipped… but before I do this I wanted to see if I could potentially get a strut/shock/spring combo from you for around $800 shipped .. I see sets of FCS strut/shocks for cheap on GTOG8TA and I think your site, but for lowering and a firmer ride I feel they wouldn’t be sufficient."

Glynn's post is Accurate The bulk of your private label coilovers are manufactured by BC Racing. There are differences in quality between the products, they are not the same
(1) BC Racing BR Series is the latest design for economy coilovers. This is the latest design with 30 Clicks of adjustment. The product ships with 7/9 Springs. No strut mounts or upper shock mounts. This is a premium product.
(2) Pedders XA is based on a earlier design BC BR These are valved differently than BC BR series, the adjusters are different. 30 Clicks of Adjustment . The product ships with 7/8 Springs. Pedders includes rubber strut and shock mounts. It also has a 2 year warranty. This is a premium mid range product. I have them on sale at significant discount.
(3)Megan Racing Has 15 Clicks of Adjustment. The product ships with 7/9s. This is a low end product.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,634 Posts
"Also, wanting to throw some 275 tires on the rear, I knew that I’d need drag bags as well if lowered and that’s just one more $150 dollar item."

Drag Bags do not fit in coilover rear springs. Many have tried, I have only seen one succeed in 15 years.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,616 Posts
If doing cheap coilovers, keep some real springs in the back to put bags in. Thats what I do for my lowering springs when running a small tire like a 275/50. Put my drags springs in for the 275/60's.
Similar here. I've got the remote canister Pedders and putting Lovells in the back with them was an improvement. Eventually I'll do BC Racing 62mm spec Swift springs up front. Definitely not budget friendly.

·
Registered
2004 GTO
28 Posts
Got the Megan set I ordered today, looks Identical to the first pic Glynn posted, cept for I got a cool keychain.
My project is just a toy, its not meant to be any sort of daily driver. I think these will be a good starting point and will no doubt be changing things after I start driving it.

·
Registered
2004 GTO
28 Posts
Have the fuel tank out of the car so good time to put in the new rear Megans. Pretty happy with them, I decided to start off cranking them up to full height and working down from there after driving it. Have the shock damper adjusted full stiff, and backed off 3 clicks. The ride height is about 1 1/2" inches higher than the stock worn out springs/shocks. It is pretty stiff my 200 pounds on one corner does not deflect it much. I like that the adjuster dials can be left on the shock stems because these will be difficult to access once the tank is back in. Over all pretty happy with this setup it is just what I was shooting for.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Machine tool Gas Automotive tire Milling Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

41 - 49 of 49 Posts