LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run one of these yet in a GTO, and if so what kind of numbers have you seen? I want something mild since I drive 100 mi a day to and from work. I heard these run well with stock heads and manifolds? Any advice?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Man, and I thought a 50 mile round trip to and from work stunk. Sorry I dont have an answer for you though.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I haven't heard of one in a GTO yet, but you will find it mentioned on ls1tech.com. Some people favor it as a blower cam due to the conservative durations and LSA.

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
That's a forced induction cam. The intake doesn't need the duration because it's either forced in there with a blower/turbo or the nitrous is going in in liquid form, and the extra exhaust is for all the extra exhaust gas. The huge LSA minimises the valve overlap so you don't have any fresh intake charge going out the exhaust, and also opens the exhaust sooner to help reduce pumping losses (i.e., you get 'found' horsepower that doesn't increase the load on the bearings, compared to turning up the boost or injecting more nitrous).

On heads designed for forced induction, you don't need such a radical exhaust lobe, so this cam is most likely designed for stock or NA style heads to be used with a power adder.

Also, because the valve overlap is minimized, you won't see as much of a gain with LT's with this cam as you normally do using a narrower LSA. If you're going FI, you can get by with a cat-back and stock manifolds or maybe shorties. No need to spend the bucks on the LT's unless you're going for that last 5-10 hp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts