1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

Well I will get right to the picutres.

My impressions are this:

The kit could have been built prior to delievery for people who are looking for a more plug and play setup but as you can see i personally enjoy even modding my mods.
The fit was perfect and all the hardware, minus the lenght of the screws, was perfect.
The instructions text were fine.

Performance:
I definately hit redline quicker in every gear.
I definately rip third loose no questions asked. I sometimes would be able to do this and sometimes not. Mostly it depends on how quick you let in the clutch but i definately didn't work hard to get it to break them loose.
I pull through gears quicker.
I am pretty much done modding, I will get a dyno run soon I promise.

Overall I don't care how many of you think this intake is too expensive. The quality of the kit was perfect. NO metal to absorb heat (except for a small section that connects the maf to the filter where it passes through the heatshield). The heat shield is a perfect formed plastic piece and the silicone tube was great quality. All the correct screws, clamps, and parts came with it. They incluide all the strips of rubber to seal it off top, bottom, and back. The choice of filter is great. The thing is huge. They even make provisions to place the IAT inside a factory hole in the KN filter. They pass the IAT through a supplied rubber grommet that goes through the heat shield. They pretty much thought everything out as well as can be. Nothing had to be adjusted or altered on the car. Just the screws that came with the kit got shortened. You don't have to do that at all. I just did it cause I wanted it to be perfect as far as I was concerened.

Brad

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
That is perrrfect.$400 is just too steep for my taste.$400 is almost a cam and springs.They did an exceptional job and if they come down in price some day I will think about it.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Looks nice, no comment really on price, dyno #s would be most excellent.....I wish they would sell the shield piece and filter as a separate product for people that are already happy with their own intake tube....

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well you figure to have something that looks this good with so little production #'s its going to cost ya. I spent alot on my corsa exhaust and its amazing. I'd rather spend the extra cash than have any regrets. I really don't have plans for h/c or s/c or nitrous or anything. I want to keep myself in the gray zone warranty wise as much as i can. This is pretty much the last straw to keep me there :) I think the headers are out. But some of the SLP stuff coming out like their lightweight skid plate looks great. Every mod I have done has weighed less than stock plus had hp gains of some form. That is with the exception of the HIDs.

BTW forgot to mention. IAT is out of the engine bay and is only in the cooler sectioned off portion created by the LPE intake. This should help to prevent KR due to it being right in the area of the hot air coming off the radiator.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
LiqTenExp said:
BTW forgot to mention. IAT is out of the engine bay and is only in the cooler sectioned off portion created by the LPE intake. This should help to prevent KR due to it being right in the area of the hot air coming off the radiator.
I agree, the fact the IAT sensor still gets a 'proper' air temp reading without being exposed to high temp airflow behind the radiator alone should be worth a few ponies. And you cant beat the fact the kit looks like it came stock.

Personaly, I hope they make one for the LS2 GTO's. The cost is steep but quality is everything.

BTW, can you tell what size filter they include? (It appears to be an oblong filter?) I'd like to know what the filter opening diameter is plus a rough idea of the area around the filter and the length. I have a little idea of a "mod" to the LPE intake that could very well increase performance even more.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Looks great and i'm sure it performs well. IAT sensor in the filter is interesting. They used all the experience from years of LS1 and LT1 modding to really cover all the bases. The price is proportional to the number of GTOs. I remember the LT1 CAI was like 299 for the longest time from them and then slowly came down.

Nice pics

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Wow, that is absolutely the highest quality CAI out there. make the LS1 speed and K&N intakes look like a joke. $400 is out of my league.

·
596whp/553wtq @ 6.5psi
2,301 Posts
What would be a great thing for this sit eis and INTAKE SHOOTOUT!

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will get the model number later. I think its 3.5"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big schwing

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Huntress got like 19hp gain on the KN setup. I would think that would be hard to beat.
It looks nice too!
I got 37 before the computer relearned with speedinc

·
Registered
496 Posts
HeightsGTO said:
I got 37 before the computer relearned with speedinc
Wow, 37 hp from a CAI mod!? What is your gain after computer relearned? What do you think happened to cause the computer to change? I would be happy with 15-20.

LiqTenExp, what kind of HP gain did you get or do you expect to verify with a dyno?

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope to verify with a dyno within the next month. I am pretty much moded out minus headers for a non h/c or s/c or turbo or nitrous setup. The stock exhaust manifolds on this car are so simple and short that I doubt that the shorties would be worth the money.

Any other ideas on things I should look into. I was thinking about a gauge pod once they show up, maybe gears, and hopefully wheels and tires next spring.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I went from 298 to 314 with the Speed Inc unit. That's 16rwhp. They all make the same.

Does Lingenfelter sell the shield separately?

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Does The Air Filter Have A Brand Name On It And/or A Part Number? I'd Like To Get The Filter Only.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's a K&N. You can tell by A) the red filter and B) their style of construction on the rubber ends.

And it's probably a universal fit oval style cone filter with a 4" inlet.

·
'05 GTO Nationals - St. Louis
116 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I went from 298 to 314 with the Speed Inc unit. That's 16rwhp. They all make the same.

Does Lingenfelter sell the shield separately?
What IAT do you see with your Speed Inc.? I have one that I put on last weekend and I was at the track on Tuesday. IAT was 139º while at the tree and 120º at the end. It was about 78º ambient at the time. Is this about what you're seeing?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Usually it's within 10* of the outside temp. Mine only reaches those temps when sitting still for awhile. I have also had my IAT detuned in the PCM. Jim scaled back it's effect in the "IAT vs. timing" table.

·
no goat
367 Posts
Rain question

First off, the quality of the kit really impressed me...looks much better than I was expecting. I was wondering, it looks like the filter would be somewhat exposed to rain coming in from over the driver side headlight. Have you had any experience with this or have you asked LPE anything about it?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts