LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on building a drag toy with an LS swap and eventually a turbo. Here begins the thread for it. my hope is to have the project running and driving for ~3000 and im on pace to meet those numbers. with turbo stuff i expect to be closer to 8k. im following the sloppy mechanics dont bs me build nearly to a T.

Picked up this 01 suburban for 300 bux and 120 to tow it home. unfortunately it had been the victim of arson... According to the old timer that i bought it from, his 19yr old grand son drove the burb over and parked it blocking access to the back of their property. He asked him to move the truck and this was the most insulting thing the teen had ever heard so in defiance he set the interior on fire. upside is the fire department was fast and put it out before it spread too far and the 5.3 under the hood appears to be in perfect condition which is good for me cause thats the only piece i want.

Here she is in all her glory

note the OBS bumper on it lol

heres a progress pic i started stripping stuff off the front last night this was before i went in for dinner. After i came back out i got about 30 minutes and it started to rain so i had to hurriedly clean up and run in.

got the rad out, trans cooler lines disconnected, a lot of the hoses off, clutch fan off etc. hoping to go ham on it tonight and get the rest of it out and maybe the motor out. ill snap more pics as i am working on it and ill probably grab my gopro and do some timelapse stuff of me working on it.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For $300 you'll make some money on this deal and get an engine out of it.
if i had the extra space to part it out i would. im going to grab big pieces and post a CL ad to move some of it. it looks to be in decent shape from about 15 feet, up close its a lot rougher. plus i cant part out a car or my HOA will shit a brick.

they got pretty salty with me for building my jeep in the driveway last year.

it sat like this for about 3 weeks and they werent happy.

so i just rolled the wheels up to it and put 1 lug on each and they shut up. jackstands under it? doesnt matter as long as it has wheels...

·
voted, 'a dick.'
4,884 Posts
this should be awesome!

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,076 Posts
I will follow this thread and probably be down to help with parts of the build. This is one of the few instances I will be willing to wrench on a Mustang.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friday's progress. Doat and Carlos came over to lend a hand.

Getting some lights setup

we ended friday with the trans mount, motor mounts, drive shaft and some wiring left to be removed so we could pluck the engine out.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunday's fun. James and Doat came to add more helps to getting it out.

this was right after we realized the cylinder on the hoist didnt have the nuts to hold up the engine so we ran to HF and bought/installed a new cylinder which worked like a champ.

free 10mm socket with purchase lol

it is out and on the engine stand.

ordering a cam this week and slamming that in once it shows up then ill get it bolted to the 4l80 and bring the swap candidate home.

·
200+ MPH Club!!!
2,722 Posts
Dan, I didn't see ONE picture of your OSHA approved footwear.
He was prolly wearing flip flops. BTW Dan. you have any good 16" tires on it? Need to swap you for a couple for my Tahoe. Text me.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't call any of them good tires honestly.

·
200+ MPH Club!!!
2,722 Posts
ok. thanks. how about the spare? I need the jack and tire changing tools too.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spare was inside where the fire was. i wouldnt be keen on using it and its under a pile of other parts now.

ill take a look tonight to see if the jack and tools are there.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
of course i was wearing flip flops.

i dont wear shoes unless im at a wedding or work. i even wore flops to a brazilian steakhouse for my friends batchelor party a couple weeks ago.

FLOPS FOR ALL TIME

·
Registered
670 Posts
of course i was wearing flip flops.

i dont wear shoes unless im at a wedding or work. i even wore flops to a brazilian steakhouse for my friends batchelor party a couple weeks ago.

FLOPS FOR ALL TIME
This is a man that either:

Hasn't stepped in a fire any mound often enough.

OR

Done the hot shell casing dance at the gun range.

Your time will come :)

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive done both of those many times.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got the harness pulled out. just a couple more parts off it and its getting sent up the road.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts