LS1GTO.com Forums banner

361 - 371 of 371 Posts

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
regular farm situation here at the house.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Got some work done on the car this weekend. new oil pan is swapped on with new pickup tube and windage tray. also threw on a new rear main seal since i was in there. really happy with the way we set the car up to be able to yank the motor and leave the trans in the car. all and all plus a lunch break midway through, took us about 6 hours to have it out, work done and back in. definitely able to speed that process up if i had to.

Windage tray modification

oil pan is now tucked up above the k member. for reference this is how low it used to be

now this is the clearance. the jack is under the trans pan supporting it. oil pan completely above k.

going to button it up and fire it as soon as i am done with all of that and maybe go make a couple more passes in it.

Reactions: MannyLobo

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Got the last few things knocked out and the car fired back up on saturday. no pics but it runs and has better oil pressure than it did before. was running around 30psi cold idle and 15 or so hot. Now its 45 cold. didnt run it to hot but ran it up to about 140* ECT and it was still holding 45 steady. guessing my old pickup tube might have had schmutz in it or the oring was crusty. Either way, seems like its running real healthy which is good. no visible leaks which is also a plus. going to tidy up a few things and relocate some things (rad overflow, some wiring) and try to get the fbody cluster installed so i can at least see RPM and stuff while driving it. Hopefully take it to the track mid march.

going to start mocking up turbo pieces as well to where where things are going to fall which will help with relocating those items above.

Reactions: EZ28

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice! Which track in Texas do you race at? Any plans for the goat?

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Nice! Which track in Texas do you race at? Any plans for the goat?
mostly houston raceway park. once its sorted out and running good with the turbo i plan on dragging it to san antonio or ennis for races and actually entering and competing in some races vs just doing a test and tune night.

Once the mustang is sorted the GTO gets to go under the knife and fix a lot of things that have been wrong with it for a while now. having 2 gtos at the house and maintaining both was wearing me out. My gto needs a diff, fix an oil leak,rebuild powersteering pump, steering rack bushing, and just some general maintenance as well as trying to get the IAC under control. it either idles high or tries to die out.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #369 (Edited)
was able to make it out to the track again a couple weeks ago. Just havent had time to put down the results and upload photos. only got to make one official pass. oil pan leak is fixed, buuuut the crank snout started leaking through the front main seal. sigh.

After my last post i dealt with a bunch of stupid little problems back to back. was putting everything together and noticed rad was leaking. after 1 getting lost and waiting 10 days for a replacement to ship, they shipped me one that wasnt square. dunno how that happens but whatever. sent it back to rockauto, got a refund and picked one up locally. After that the old hoses were leaking so i made 2 new ones. then one of the spring clamps was dead so i put a worm gear on it. it just did not want me to go to the damn track lol finally got it all sorted out, no leaks, went to take a test drive around the neighborhood, ran out of gas literally at the end of my street haha. pushed it to the curb, ran to the gas station, grabbed a few gallons and it made a successful test drive.

was a hell of a day getting there and back too. got it on the trailer, made it 7 miles from the track (about a 50 mile drive from my house) and a tire blew on the trailer. Uhaul roadside was legit, the guy who came out found another tire was ready to go.

but i did end up making it out.

made my 1 pass. it dead hooked a 2.2 60' again and ran another [email protected] First gear shifted at 5500, second at 6300. it should be 6600 or so. tune was soft too. 11.2 or so AFR, ~30 degrees of timing. we made several test hits on the back road at the track to line out that shift point and got it shifting right at 6600 and AFR sorted out to 12.8-13.0 and around 32* total timing. It felt WAY stronger at that point, shifted good, felt like it would have been way faster. I noticed some spots on the ground and looked under and found the crank snout leaking from the main seal. annoyed, i wiped it all down and made one more little test hit on the back road and came back to everything covered in oil so i called it and loaded it on the trailer and just watched some racing.

made it home with zero issues.

parts to fix it are here so i just need to fix it.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #370

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
got some of the parts in. went ahead and swapped the front main seal and cover. ive never had good luck installing a new seal into the covers so i just spend the extra on a new one. got the car back together and running again. need to check status on my brake master cylinder and then i can do some test drives. maybe get in another track day before the state shuts down again.

361 - 371 of 371 Posts