LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 355 Posts

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yea foxes are getting to be harder and harder to find in good shape. I saw some clean rollers going for 3-5k.beat up rollers were 750-2000

·
200+ MPH Club!!!
2,722 Posts
This is a man that either:

Hasn't stepped in a fire any mound often enough.

OR

Done the hot shell casing dance at the gun range.

Your time will come :)
Mustang is the smartest platform for this. Parts are cheap and plentiful, plenty of room in the engine bay for activities, and they drag race really well. Plus if I accidentally put it into the wall, it's no great loss and I can get another cheap one and move my parts to it.

I'm not trying to break records or be the first to do anything. I just want to race and have fun
I feel you. I'm just poking at you. Hard to make a drag car out of a Jeep.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i like being poked at...

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Cam and springs installed into the 5.3 saturday night.

motor was surprisingly clean inside. no sludge at all. normal wear on the cam. just all around good looking engine. the spark plugs were new and had clean dielectric grease on them. this car was taken care of it seems. shame the kid was such a smurf.

new cam headed to its home

Was nice enough to put another chain/gear i had laying around on it. the other one had so much slop in it i was actually impressed

Valve springs going in

5.3 is an oil pan away from being ready to slam into the chassis. ordering that today.

exciting!

·
Fake bacon lover
10,294 Posts
Nifty Dan

Is it going to be a complete gut job because RACECAR or still keep full interior and keep it street able to get groceries if desired. Because I know Sara is dying to drive to HEB for a snax run.

PS: nothing say's you can't keep it 'street legal' and still go full retarded race car gut job too.

Or maybe Yes and Yes ?

Keep it 'nice' for now and then as you go... gut that smurfer out + cage it when the FI comes along and make it GO FAST.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm only focusing on what needs to be at any given time.

It'll stay as is for time being. No ac/heat obviously.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
that last post i made was on my phone Dave.

to elaborate, im going to focus on one thing at a time means that right now, my focus is engine/trans in and running/driving.

then my focus will be ironing out bugs and getting the NA tune livable. once i start building the turbo setup my goal will be to get that in and welded up and then fuel system, then chassis mods, then safety equipment.

to keep the project from sprawling and taking forever im doing it a one piece at a time thought process so that i can make sure i hit milestones and maintain a mostly functional car for the longest time possible. it means redoing some work a couple times, but ive accepted that the motor will likely be in and out a few times before this is said and done.

·
voted, 'a dick.'
4,884 Posts
i am loving this thread. MOAR PIX!

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
the mosquitos are killing me. i tried to work on it last night removing hte manual pedal assembly and putting the auto assembly back into it so i can mount the brake booster and do some more measuring and the damn things were eating me alive. only made it 20 minutes before i rage quit and went inside.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
same peeps. same.

·
HGH Optimist
6,309 Posts
Hating them is one thing...

If y'all wanna be abso-fuggin-lutely terrified of them. Watch the documentary on them on Discovery Channel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Houston's mosquito's are horrible I don't know how you guys get any work done. Living in Mexico City the bugs get killed by the pollution, but when we visit Cuernavaca the mosquitoes will eat you alive plus here the carry awesome diseases like Dengue, Zika, and chikungunya. I have 2 cousins that got Dengue recently, they told me that there is a reason why they call it the break bone disease. F that shit I wear 99% DEET everywhere that stuff keeps them away, I think the mosquitoes like deep woods OFF here.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
a friend of mine actually got zika during harvey from mosquitos. fucking things are awful.

·
ROW ROW ROW...
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
not a ton of progress due to some personal issues going on this month. Im trying to devote an hour a day to SOMETHING on the project since ill be traveling a bit for work this month and wont have as many weekends. i have the last week and a half off and planning on going hard on it to get some progress done.

last night i got the motor mostly buttoned up and ready to go into the chassis.

the oilpan was off, the waterpump needed new gaskets and the crank pulley needed back on.

got all those buttoned up and cleaned off the intake manifold mounting surfaces.

not a ton of work but some none the less.

i also pulled a 4l60 bellhousing that i had and slapped it onto the testfit block in the chassis. Rigged the motor to the core support so it doesnt lean back on the mounts as much and i could remove the wood block i had under the oilpan holding it up. Tonight im getting it up on jackstands so i can get under it and assess the tunnel situation and do some measures to see if its going to work with the 4l80 or if i am going to need to do some hammering.

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,071 Posts
The personal stuff is going to be ok, buddy. I have a good feeling.

Glad to see you're making progress and are motivated to give it an hour a day. I hope I can get down there soon to help.

41 - 60 of 355 Posts