LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Future setup that is....

Well here's the situation, I daily drive my GTO and i'm looking for more power but wanting go low profile w/ the mods in a way meaning i don't want a fully hard cammed car no chopping. Not looking for monster numbers but good numbers while still keeping the car reliable and moderalty fast. I'm considering doin a whole ls6 conversion (ls6 head/cam then tune) or possibly the heads w/a mild very mild cam. Basically i want to know the proper steps that i should take, where to buy from and if it's worth it and what numbers you think i could possibly be looking at. I know in the future i want to go forced induction (keeping in mind having the compression) but that'll be after i graduate college. I really like the whole ls6 deal seems like a cheap get up and go mod. I'm still in the learning process so whatever input would help me to learn alittle more aobut this car.

Thanks in advance fellas. :)

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
imo i wouldnt want to waste the $$ on a ls6 conversion. i would just spend 1,000 on a nice safe nitrous kit. you are only going to gain 50 hp or so doing the ls6 where you could add 125 for much less $$ and time spent installing it.

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
not a nitrous guy, i'm thinking along the lines of power all around not whenever i fill up the bottle. Plus i'm not a hardcore dragracer. i'm the type of guy that likes to do clean setups and have the right gain for the setup thats on the car if that tells you anything. Basically meaning as long as the car is making what it should be w/ the setup then i'm cool.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
deuce189 said:
not a nitrous guy, i'm thinking along the lines of power all around not whenever i fill up the bottle. Plus i'm not a hardcore dragracer. i'm the type of guy that likes to do clean setups and have the right gain for the setup thats on the car if that tells you anything. Basically meaning as long as the car is making what it should be w/ the setup then i'm cool.

do some lt headers and a cam. a heads and cam swap is alot of work to only get 50hp that you would get with the ls6 stuff. you with an aftermarket from one of our sponsors and you wont be disappointed. id bet you'd be out a total of 1500-1700 total if you did the install yourself. even less if you buy some used stuff. here is a warning to you though. when i started modding i told myself i was only going to do a few little things. well next week my 408 goes in!! it is very addicting and whatever you do will never be enough :)

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
mild cam/heads and headers/intake/underdrive pulley

or spend a more and get a maggie. fairly easy install. non-destructive.

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yeah, thats cool, i know i'll never stop. but basically i want what i can get w/o getting to the point where i know if i do end up going forced induction (sts kit :D) i don't want to pull anything off due to off compression b/c of too much done to the motor.

What seems to be the popular mild heads/cam setup for the money?

·
Controlled Insanity
287 Posts
I am in the process of building a rather "mild" setup that still performs. Or, at least performs the way I want it to. My original setup was this:

LPE CAI
Ported TB
LPE GT2-3 Cam (207/220 .571/.578 lift on a 118.5 LSA)
Tuning

The car put down 358 / 348 and I ran a 12.7 at almost 110 on street tires, cutting a 1.95 60'. I loved the setup as the car sounded and drove stock, just with more power.

I recently installed a set of LS6 heads and a JBA mid pipe. We have been sorting out an exhaust leak and had some other issues with the install. However, the car now seems to be running right (I won't be able to hit the dyno until Monday, so I don't have any numbers yet and is the reason I didn't post anything about it), but I haven't noticed any kind of real noticeable gain in power. The car is louder (no cats now) and seems to pull a little harder up top, but in some racing with my buddies car's it hasn't shown any real big gains. So, now I am in a position where I need more cam to take advantage of the heads and produce more torque to get this pig moving. It has been fun seeing what we could do with this cam though.

So, not to steal your thread, but the point I was trying to make is the best thing for what you are trying to accomplish IMO is a good solid stealth cam that still produces good low end torque. I would suggest the Thunder Racing CheaTR cam as a good option. You can easily get to your goals without changing anything on the car except the cam and it will cost a lot less than an LS6 conversion (which most likely won't get you the power you are looking for). Just make sure you pick a cam that you can grow with down the road.

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input NJgoat, made some pretty valid points.

·
hello officer...
447 Posts
ive got a 228/232 .588/.575 cam on a 113 LSA and it is choppy, but awesome. i made 392/373 without a underdrive pulley. check out MTIs stealth cams.

·
More Boost = More Fun!
1,461 Posts
An LS2 cam, longtubes no cats, good catback and a dyno tune do wonders for an LS1. AZPS had some good takeout cams for sale @ good prices. A minimum must do is catless midpipes if you can get away with it.

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well there is no emissions in savannah, GA at the moment but yeah that is what i'm definately in the works on is the jba catless mids.

·
More Boost = More Fun!
1,461 Posts
deuce189 said:
well there is no emissions in savannah, GA at the moment but yeah that is what i'm definately in the works on is the jba catless mids.
For the money, they were the best bang for buck. I did the shorties and flowmaster catback first with a Predater tune. With DR's it nocked .2 off my qtr times for $1300. Paid $225 on sale for the mids and picked up another .1.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
SLP Bobcat kit. Check it out. Stock like installation and reliability with a respectable gain for the $$. Your local Pontiac dealer will even install it for you.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
If you really want the stealth approach...then just save your money and go with your future future set up and go F/I. Everything stays stock and quiet and you have power on demand.

·
9 Second Club
14,786 Posts
deuce189 said:
Future setup that is....

I daily drive my GTO and i'm looking for more power but wanting go low profile w/ the mods in a way meaning i don't want a fully hard cammed car no chopping. I know in the future i want to go forced induction (keeping in mind having the compression) but that'll be after i graduate college.

Thanks in advance fellas. :)
Just about anything can be an improvement and no matter what you decide someone will come along with something better and cheaper and you'll wish you went that route. I had one of the sponsors here install my heads, cam, and headers plus give me a good tune. I view using their qualified techs as insurance, not expense. The car is superb.

My regret is not knowing exactly what I wanted and having diametrically opposed objectives when I started. The result is I'm stuck right now and to go forward I'll have to undo everything and start all over. My first mistake was having an objective for it to be a daily driver. Your best bet for a strong performing daily driver would be a used 02/03 Z06. Daily drivers get beat to chit and are a hell of a waste of expensive parts and work. Secondly, I didn't really think through the FI stuff completely. I wanted to go there and figured wtf, I can build an NA car and put the FI on later. Problem is everything I put on it except the headers has to go.

Everyone says I have to get rid of my heads to do anything, FI, etc. My next leap would have been to a stroker but my money ran out. I still get a rush when I crank mine up and heads turn.

Were I a vendor and read your objectives I'd just recommend you spray it. BTW, long tube headers and a tune are about as good of a bang for the buck as you can get. JMHO

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you want a stealth package I would suggest the first thing anyone do is a Air intake system then find Ls6 heads they are getting really cheap these days. Then a cam like mine or another sleeper cam out there (search). Once you got the basic building blocks of power (heads and cam) then you want to get LT headers to support the H/C. Then pulley/thrttlebody and exhaust then tune it. With all this you should be close to 390-400. If you want to go forced induction in the future, then when the time comes when you want to replace your springs anyway just pull the heads and have someone do some chamber polishing to lower the compression then your heads will be compression freindly for FI.

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that i was thinking why the z06 heads owuld be perfect for a possibly goin f/i in the future, because they are still oem heads, if your saying that getting heads would mean i have to take them off when going f/i that just tells me thta if you have a z06 you have to remove the factory heads, see where i'm goin w/ this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts