LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
-Tom Capozzi- Spitzer Pontiac GMC
263 Posts
1stChildhood said:
Will someone tell me in a nutshell what is the difference between an LT1 and the LS1?? Thanks
Night and day difference.LT1 iron block aluminum heads reverse flow cooling.Optispark distributor and cam driven waterpump.Originally 300 HP in vettes and 275 in fbodies .LS1 all aluminum design coil on plug ignition 345 hp in 97 vettes and 305 hp in 98 and newer f bodies

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
tommycap30 said:
Night and day difference.LT1 iron block aluminum heads reverse flow cooling.Optispark distributor and cam driven waterpump.Originally 300 HP in vettes and 275 in fbodies .LS1 all aluminum design coil on plug ignition 345 hp in 97 vettes and 305 hp in 98 and newer f bodies
Don't forget the 6 bolt mains in a deep skirt crank housing, to me the most important aspect of the LS1.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
tommycap30 said:
The 98+ F-bodies didn't have 305 Horsepower. They made as much as the C5's do.. Gm just underrated them.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
While we are on the subject of LT1 engines, would you expect a "stock" Z28 with an LT1 engine to beat a stock 2004 GTO in the 1/8th mile by more than a full second? I was watching this kid with his "stock" Z28 run consistant 8.44 times.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Think of the LT1 as the last small block chevy made in production. I think it was called Gen II.

Gen III is the LS1/6. Totally different animal.

My totally stock 96 WS6 Formula 6psd ran a [email protected] on a 2.0 short time back in 96. But that wasn't too typical at that time. Most LT1 cars are high 13/low 14 cars. So some could hang with a stock GTO.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
In order to simplify this and not go into infinite details,

The only thing the SBCII LT1/4 shares with the new SBCIII LS1/6 motors is it's bore centerlines and number of cylinders. :D

The LS1/6 (and now LS2) motor is a completely new from the ground up engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lt1

tommycap30 said:
Tommy, I believe you'll find that the LT1 has an iron block and iron heads as well. It's the LT4 that has aluminum heads.

slick50

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
FLORIT said:
While we are on the subject of LT1 engines, would you expect a "stock" Z28 with an LT1 engine to beat a stock 2004 GTO in the 1/8th mile by more than a full second? I was watching this kid with his "stock" Z28 run consistant 8.44 times.
I doubt that Z28 is stock. But if it's modded, the mods aren't all that much. It might have just been a good set of tires and an air filter.

I also bet that the person driving that GTO wasn't getting the best times either. Even with my meager driving skills, I managed a 9.30 in the 1/8 mile. The GTO is capable of quite a bit better times than that, even with street tires.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
derf said:
I doubt that Z28 is stock. But if it's modded, the mods aren't all that much. It might have just been a good set of tires and an air filter.

I also bet that the person driving that GTO wasn't getting the best times either. Even with my meager driving skills, I managed a 9.30 in the 1/8 mile. The GTO is capable of quite a bit better times than that, even with street tires.

hahahahaha, the person driving that GTO was ME, and you're right, I wasn't getting good times at all. The wheel hop from 1st to 2nd was god awful and my 60' times were 2.30+. (Hey, it was the first time I'd ever drag raced.)

What burned me up was the pimply faced, "daddy bought my Z28 and it's ALL stock", ****y little punk a** kid driving the Z28 and telling me what a dog the Goat was. Not a problem, though. I've ordered drag radials and I've been practicing my launches wherever I can. His day will come and I will be as polite and mature as possible as I wave goodbye to his daddy's Z28.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I'm not sure about the vette's - but I've compared the listed stat's on the GTO cam and it matches at least the '01 / '02 f-body cam specs.
Dan

·
-Tom Capozzi- Spitzer Pontiac GMC
263 Posts
Blitzu said:
That's odd, I wonder why they would rate each engine so differently???

There's something else different maybe??

I know the solid rear has to help.
the vette's intake and exhaust are much less restrictive than the fbodies were

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Blitzu said:
I guess that raises the question of how the hell did they get 350 out of the GTO???
Its just a more actual rating than the F-Bodies were. F-Bodies were under rated big time.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Blitzu said:
I think I am right here to say the LS1's in the vett are different, and have more HP than the LS1's in the F-bodies. Main difference is a different cam. The reason they dyno'd and ran near the same was because of the IRS on the vetts hurt it in the quatermile, and on the dynos, compared to the F-bodies solid rear axles.

I would like to see if there are different part numbers or at least cam specs on the two cars. If the vetts did have a soild rear axle I am sure they would have been 12 sec cars all day with the 350 HP.
The Vette LS1 has;

1) Electronic throttle control
2) different cam
3) different oil pan.
4) Pretty fuel rail covers

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
We do in the GTO. The LS1 powered F-Bodies had a slightly different cam. A little less lift was in it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Close times. It's a 6 of one half dozen of another, despite the F-Body having a solid rear axle, it also weighs a little more than the Vette.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the detailed info. Answer wasn't as simple as I thought, since there were apparently different versions of them both. Another amusing issue comes to light in this thread--- it's amusing because the Great Advance, IRS, is obviously not so Great when it comes to drag racing. I have not yet heard ANYONE mention road racing, just drag racing. Hence, this feature of a more advanced car, making it more comparable to the Europeans and other more expensive cars, becomes a DISability & handicap--ain't it ironic. I bet the engineers are saying something about ungrateful GTO owners if they are reading these!! ;>)

·
Registered
12 Posts
1stChildhood said:
Will someone tell me in a nutshell what is the difference between an LT1 and the LS1?? Thanks
Numerous improvements in all areas. If I had to pick a single standout, what makes it a more powerful deal?... it would be the valve angle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts