LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I must admit that I've only changed the plugs in a GMC Yukon, and even then I had help. With the LS1, I don't have a clue as to what's going on. I've read up on all of the past discussions, but nothing really jumped out at me as being useful for installing these (except for the over-tightening discussion).

Does anyone have a good reference on replacing the plugs/wires in the GTO? I have Taylor 10.4mm wires on order, and 8 TR55's sitting here... Do I need to get under the car to replace these, or are most/all top accessible?

Any/all help will be appreciated!!! :hail:

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
On an F bodys they are a *****. From looking at my GTO they all look easy to get to. I hate the spring loaded caps on the plug wires. Just do one at a time and double check you plug gap. I can reach every one from the top.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Easy as pie on the Goat. You can reach all the plugs with a 3/8" ratchet and 5/8" sparkplug socket. Hardest part is pulling the sparkplug boots off the plug... PIMA and took 15 minutes the 1st time. You can reach everything from the top, and the coilpack covers just pull off to allow access to the coilpacks. Just unplug the wires, remove the stock plugs, replace with your new plugs, and attach the new wires.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Yeah no sweat!!
I have a double c/v 5/8 spark plug socket

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
haha..On LS1 F-bodies they are cake. On LT1 F-bodies they are a PITA.
The GTO's LS1 is very easy to do plugs on, very easy.

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Oh, and might want to remove those spring loaded caps, When doing plugs and wires at work on a vehicle. I always toss 'em. Have actually seen evidence of the wire arcing to that metal. Nice driveability issue.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikeyboy said:
Oh, and might want to remove those spring loaded caps, When doing plugs and wires at work on a vehicle. I always toss 'em. Have actually seen evidence of the wire arcing to that metal. Nice driveability issue.
Do you mean the spring loaded connectors on the Taylor wires? Or were you referring to something else?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Mikeyboy said:
haha..On LS1 F-bodies they are cake. On LT1 F-bodies they are a PITA.
The GTO's LS1 is very easy to do plugs on, very easy.
I did mine back in april and it was the first time I ever did plugs and wires and it was a real pain in the ass.......I am not a real gear guy though, I can do oil, brakes .......the basic easy stuff. I wish I could learn to do more.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dbluegoat said:
I did mine back in april and it was the first time I ever did plugs and wires and it was a real pain in the ass.......I am not a real gear guy though, I can do oil, brakes .......the basic easy stuff. I wish I could learn to do more.
Uh oh... :bomb:

That's kind of where I'm at... Sort of handy, but not uber-technical... Any tips for a first-timer Dbluegoat?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Theta said:
Uh oh... :bomb:

That's kind of where I'm at... Sort of handy, but not uber-technical... Any tips for a first-timer Dbluegoat?
have patience.......make sure the engine is completely cooled and dont be afraid to pull the damn boot spring things, it take some force to get those off. As far as the plugs I just used my hand to tighten them and then one crank with the ratchet. The Driver side will be the worst, personally I think you should do the passenger side first to get comfortable with the process and then once you do the driver side it will be easier but much tighter space. Seriously it took me like 3 hours.........but I was not prepared at all.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Always on an aluminum head, wait until they're cool. Otherwise you run the risk of stripping the threads easier or warping the head from the torquing forces.

Otherwise, there really isn't a lot of "hints we can give. This car is pretty straight forward. Half the engine isn't under the windshield cowl like the F-Bodies.

It's always nice to have a stubby or palm ratchet, a swivel spark plug socket, and some boot pullers in general.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Also - make sure you where some gloves. There are some sharp coners down there. I know I am currently looking at a set of hands that look like cr*p since changing mine on Sunday. Should have known better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts