LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that the stock LS1 crank will take about 700hp. if that is the case what is the weak link below that number?

·
efilive evangalist
167 Posts
Rod bolts, piston 7 can go lean and damage rings probably due to the location at the back corner of the manifold. Rockers can drop roller bearing pins.
Those seem to be the most common ailments.

·
9 Second Club
14,786 Posts
I have 44,000 on mine with 22,000 of it above 400 rwhp. Hundreds of 4,500 rpm launches, maybe 200 drag strip passes. Did a leak down test a month ago and am losing 4% on all 8 cylinders. Did an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and there were no issues, i.e. excess metals or chemicals in the oil itself. Doesn't use a drop of oil. My weak links include the Valve springs and clutch. On the Valve springs I broke 1 and wore another set of out. On the clutches I had a spec fail at 2,000 miles and they replaced it at warranty and I had a Textralia fail at 6,000 miles and they replaced it through warranty. When I replaced the last clutch I had the transmission rebuilt and found two broken keepers and heavy wear on the 1-2 synchronizers plus a bent keeper opposite the reverse gear shift path. I've burned a set of Nitto 245/45 17s to the ground and a set of BFG KDW-II NTs. I would have never dreamed the engine/drivetrain would hold up so well.

·
peeeel'n
434 Posts
^^^2nd that on the #7 piston! :drink:

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
#7 is only of real concern if you go FI. Stock crank is actually good for 1000. If FI next thing that goes is connecting rods and pistons.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
yeah, con rods and pistons generaly cant handle much more than 500-550rwhp, although some brave souls are pushing more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts