LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the LS2 won't be as good to boost as the LS1 because of the added C/R. 10.9 is really high to give it boost. I think the max boost would be 4-5psi on such a C/R on pump gas. So pistons and rods will be needed with any boosted LS2 to make some serious power or just LS2 heads will larger chambers to lower the C/R or just thicker head gaskets. Im sure 5psi on a LS2 would equal 7psi on a LS1 due to the higher C/R and better flowing heads, intake manifold and TB. I know people went up to 10psi on stock C/R and pump gas on a LS1. So im sure people will also push the LS2 to the limits to see how much boost it can take without detonation. Its going to be intresting to compare a 04 GTO with a magnacharger against an 05 GTO with a magnacharger both pushed to the max boost they can take on pump gas.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DevilYellow said:
You seriously think 10psi is "good" for a LS1?

I would treat the LS2 just like the LS6 .... people still boost those too.

Personally, I wont boost mine more than 9psi. But Rob Raymer did do 14psi from a T76 turbo on a stock bottom end LS1 and made 780rwhp 860rwtq, but that was on race gas. Im not that crazy, but 8-9psi is fine on a LS1. The max i have seen on a LS6 was 7psi. So with the added .4 C/R from the LS2 i would say 5-6psi would be the max safe limit of boost on a LS2. I was just thinking out loud :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't think the LS2 will do well with forced induction. At least with out a lot of work. 11:1 with boost will not be good on the street. And 94 would be the minimum octane. And the boys down south will lose more then they would gain. One reason I'm happy with having the LS1.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yeah, high comp & forced induction= lowboost applications only(for pump gas anyay). We used to boost sr20 motor's with 10.5:1 comp and they would make sick power on race fuel.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
With a 10.9:1 CR It's going to Blow for F/I

·
Registered
121 Posts
After spending a LOT of time in the F/I forum at ls1tech, it didn't seem safe to run more than about 5-6 psi on a stock LS1 according to those guys. There are guys that have done it, but it just doesn't seem too last long. At 11:1, in an LS2, I wouldn't do it at all.

That's the impression I got anyway...

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
I think the LS2 is an awesome engine right out of the box. You power adder guys are a bunch of junkies. J/k I think if you were going to boost an engine i would take all the precautions necessary in order to protect my investment. At 4k for a Supercharger kit why not go the extra to make the engine just as solid. I don't see the point in dropping 4k on an engine just to take a chance of grenading the parts all over the street.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An easy solution for the LS2 would be thicker head gasket or heads with larger chambers, but that doesnt help the cast pistons in the LS1 or LS2. If money isnt a problem then forged pistons and rods setting the C/R to 9.1 would be the best option. That is what im doing next to my car after i install the SC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts