LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a reference as to what the maximum HP a ls2 block and stock crank can hold? I'm not worried about pistons or rods I'm just wondering at what point it becomes two 4 cylinders.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hear people safely running 600rwp so i'm assuming 750 at the fly....THis is what i've heard!!!! Hope it helps.. It depends on the driver though too!!!:gears:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your refering to stock shortblock. I would think at least 900-1000hp would be possible from the block itself. I'm concerned more about what HP point do you have to change to a cast iron block or different aluminum block.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
it should be fine to 1000 at least.

plenty of ls1tech guys on stock ls1 blocks and cranks are at or over 1000hp

·
Registered
40 Posts
R u guys talking 1000hp on an everday driver, or on a drag only car!!!! I have a hard time believing that a factory block will run 1000hp with much reliability, maybe 10,000 miles and that's it!!!

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
if you already know, why ask? i too, believe the crank and block are good to 1000+.

·
Registered
40 Posts
JeffP said:
I think your refering to stock shortblock. I would think at least 900-1000hp would be possible from the block itself. I'm concerned more about what HP point do you have to change to a cast iron block or different aluminum block.
Ok i've seen a couple of guys claiming to have dynod at 1100-1200hp range but these guys said they had to drop $4000.00 into the short block alone to handle this power, LS2 vette!!!!That was fly HP #,Motors were built by Lingenfelter!!!Total cost for engine work $16,000 These guys were racing in I believe an SCCA event, so these motors were set-up for good reliability as well!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jcain said:
if you already know, why ask? i too, believe the crank and block are good to 1000+.
A 1000hp was just my educated guess. I was looking for more fact which sounds like from dbluegoat is accurate.

MSTG: If your pushing it hard all the time then that's likely true. But with a boosted application your certainly not stressing it most of time on the street. With forged internals you could possibly deal with some cold start piston slap and likely quicker ring wear but thats a trade off.

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
like everyone said just like an ls1, 1000+ HP with some help of aftermarket Main Caps and studs.

Look at it this way if a mostly stock Ecotec motor can handle 1400+HP it should not be to hard for an LSx motor to. GM makes some damn good engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts