LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went from '04 Auto to new '06 M6. Have been stabbing the gas a little to seat the rings without letting the revs get over 4K for the first 250 miles.
The owners manual doesn't even address breakin that I can find but I'm assuming keeping the revs down for the first few hundred miles and then doing any early oil change to get the metal out is still a good idea?
After 250 miles I couldn't wait any longer and did a WOT run to about 70 and was shocked to find that the new car didn't feel any faster than the old one.
The manual tranny makes it a better neck-snapper but I'm not getting the brutal acceleration and wheel hop when shifting like my WS6 T/A LS1 used to give me. Yes, I had the traction control turned off. Has anyone else noticed these new LS2s being slow and tight when new? I seem to remember hearing it usually took about 2K miles before they achieved optimal performance.
I think my '01 T/A WS6 LS1 which had only 325HP and the stock Hurst shifter might beat this thing, which is very disappointing. Does anybody think it will get significantly better? The only other thing I can think of is that the dealer didn't put premium in it because I'm still on the first tank of gas, but its not pinging at all. Going to remove that possibility with a new tank of Amoco Ultimate . . .

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
1,142 Posts
My understanding is that they dont really break in for about 10K, I have 22k on mine and its alot stronger than it was. Yes I have done a few mods but the LS2 is a tight motor. Stock mine put down 346 to the wheels, but you still have to remember that your pushing around about 3800lbs vs. the WS6 that was much lighter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
put your flame suit on, some search nazi is gonna see this.

My car seemed to start "waking up" at about 3k miles. I have 6500 on it now and bit it has a cam and the supporting bolt ons with out heads. Its a flippin beast now:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first time I went to the track I had only 1200 miles on the car and my best that night was 13.9 at 104. The second time I went to the track I had almost 5000 and my best was 13.1 at 108, seems like a big difference to me.
Also I think the owners manual does say something brief about the break in procedure like not over 55mph and change gears often or somehthing like that I cant remember.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I think it says not over 55mph for the first 500
miles and run it through all the gears equally. I changed
my oil at 500 as a precautionary measure. I'm over 800 now.
I couldn't hold it to the 55mph during the 1st 500 miles, but
I didn't go WOT either. Still haven't...But her time is coming!

·
wills
236 Posts
You also have to consider the suspension being part of the reason you don't "feel" the acceleration rush. I think this car is pretty tight and stays well composed when pushed.

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMO. Beat on it from day 1. Everything should be seated from the factory. It's not like they'd put a car out there w/o filling it with oil. Like others my car opened up around 3500 miles. I started to notice the A4 Chirping 2nd gear.

·
Fly Fast, Turn Left
512 Posts
FWIW - Take it easy for the first few hundred. Short WOT bursts then decel wont hurt it any. May help seat rings, but in modern engines, probably not needed. Changing the oil early is not needed either, but being old school a lot of us have done it. (but not me) My car has 3100 miles on it and it pulls like a freight train. Cooler weather really changes the low end grunt too. Give it some time, the LS2 is a beast with really nice manners. It will wake up after a little bit of run-in Poke a stick at it at 3000mi and hang on.

Oh - I am REALLY anal about not dipping into the gas when it is cold. (any engine) I drive like gramma when the engine/oil/coolant is cold.

Another breakin tip I have always used is one of short thermal cycles. Run it to operting temp (or less), then cool down, repeat. Do this as often a possible during the first 1000 miles or so, then never ever again as it can cause other problems like crankcase dilution and exhaust system corrosion

Other than that, go have fun. The Gen III/IV GM engines are crazy tough and run like stink, I have two of them and they are both awesome BTW - my dipstick was full at day one and still is. Zero oil consumption. My burbs 5.3L goes about 6500 miles between oil minder changes and it uses about a half quart of PZL 10W-30 between changes.

Use Mobil 1 5W-30 or GM Equiv. in your LS2 There is something about pumpability in the new GM spec 4718M/6094M. I am not an engine oil engineer, but I would stay the course with motor oil FWIW.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Yeah, I'd at least give it 500 miles. But hell, I was swapping cam, headers...well, all the crap in my sig....at 1200mi.....and then it was no holds bar. Figure if Im gonna break it in properly...Im doing it with all the right parts.:gears: :)
But, yeah....some say these things take 10k or better before properly broke in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can't notice any difference between your 04 auto and your 06 M6, then there is definitely something amiss. Your suspicion of regular gas is a very real possibility. I usually run Exxon 93 octane through mine, but my brother filled it up with Fina 91 (generally considered a fairly poor brand/grade of gas in my area). The difference was very noticeable. Felt almost like the car just lost 30 or 40 hp next time I drove it. Ran that tank out and got the 93 back in it and everything has seemed normal since.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
I know nothing about being slow and tight :gears:

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
well for the 1st 450/500 miles , i took it rather easy 4500rpm was the highest i took it , and did a few short 4500rpm burst through the gears

now that ive passed 500 ive redlined it a few times and had it over 120 for a quick short run

normally on a seasoned motor that has been rebuilt , after about 1 hour , id be beating the tar out of it , lol

ill prob be changing the oil in it soon , since the car was dated 03/06 , bought it 8/1 , and its 9/25 now and ive only got 570 miles on it , but its sat for a long time

my friend said his woke up after 3000 and starting running hard after 5000

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

I was a good boy, and broke mine in reasmonably close to the manual.

Yep, I broke the rules during break-in a few times, but the car has almost 7K miles, and has maybe burned a half a quart of oil in that whole time.

1st change at 844 - second at 5800.
She purrs like a kitten.

Yes, the car wakes up after a bit, but in Houston, those 100 degree+ days are now in the 60's...

Heat soak is worse than anything, as I am finally seeing the massive low-end increase in these cooler nights - a shift to third will ROAST as opposed to a clutch-induced chirp that the 2-3 used to get as I haven't driven the beast in cool climes yet...

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
break in period...what a joke

·
Addicted to the go fast pedal
1,000 Posts
Well I bought my car with the assumption that there was a break in period.. I was offered races from mustangs to a 88 turbo volvo that sounded like absolute crap.. I was riding along with only 78 miles on the car and wanted to open her up so bad.. I never did tho.. Ran the car up and down the RPM's and the "typical" break-in process..

Then I come on here and find out the break-in process is false and I could have beat it up from the start.. Yeah I was mad..

Oh well, now I just chalk it up as lesson learned.. With 34k on the odo she is very healthy, no oil consumption at all and running like a champ.. Warranty is almost up and Mods will be on the way..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's my story.

Pre-ordered the 05 GTO from Sewell Pontiac in TX. It was delivered to my house with 8 miles on the Odometer in early March 05 all wrapped in plastic still. Took the plastic off, cleaned it up and drove it to work. Not going steady speeds but between 55 and 75. It's all interstate. Arrive at work with 32 miles on the clock. My best friend wanted to go for a ride so I let him drive. We pull out the parking lot and go down the road. He runs it through the gears. I look over and we are doing 140. LOL, I said "Well if it wasn't broke in then; it is now".

Changed the engine oil at 500 miles also changed the diff with royal purple. Put an AMW catch can on at the same time. Took a trip 1900 mile trip during that time and changed the oil again at 3000. Few tea spoons of oil in the catch can and no oil noticable oil loss from the dipstick. Was still full.

Installed ROH Drift-R rims in a staggered setup. 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. Slight fender rub with passengers and hard cornering.

Change the oil at 6000 and the M6 transmission with royal purple. Installed a GMM shifter at the same time.

At 8000 miles installed the Maggie, JBA headers, Midpipes, catback and changed oil again. No oil useage noticable.

The car now has 10,200 miles on the odometer and not a bit of oil usage. This whole time, I drive the car like it's meant to be driven and do not baby it. It's been perfect. Stock clutch still holding strong but the poor Proxy T1-s tires are taking a beating.

Whew, guess that's it. Have fun with it that's why you bought.

·
Registered bruiser
88 Posts
Nix06 said:
IMO. Beat on it from day 1. Everything should be seated from the factory. It's not like they'd put a car out there w/o filling it with oil. Like others my car opened up around 3500 miles. I started to notice the A4 Chirping 2nd gear.

Agreed. I drove mine like it was meant to be driven from the first day with 14 miles on it, and with only 1500 miles it put down a 12.8 at 110mph. Now has close to 15k, and I know it is faster but have yet to get back to the track to prove it. Soon!

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
I broke in mine nice and easy. Friends of mine have drove them like they stole them from day one. There is a "green" mode in the PCM that runs for a while but I don't remember how many miles or what the formula is for it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update on breakin performance problem

Just went from '04 Auto to new '06 M6. Have been stabbing the gas a little to seat the rings without letting the revs get over 4K for the first 250 miles.
The owners manual doesn't even address breakin that I can find but I'm assuming keeping the revs down for the first few hundred miles and then doing any early oil change to get the metal out is still a good idea?
After 250 miles I couldn't wait any longer and did a WOT run to about 70 and was shocked to find that the new car didn't feel any faster than the old one.
The manual tranny makes it a better neck-snapper but I'm not getting the brutal acceleration and wheel hop when shifting like my WS6 T/A LS1 used to give me. Yes, I had the traction control turned off. Has anyone else noticed these new LS2s being slow and tight when new? I seem to remember hearing it usually took about 2K miles before they achieved optimal performance.
I think my '01 T/A WS6 LS1 which had only 325HP and the stock Hurst shifter might beat this thing, which is very disappointing. Does anybody think it will get significantly better? The only other thing I can think of is that the dealer didn't put premium in it because I'm still on the first tank of gas, but its not pinging at all. Going to remove that possibility with a new tank of Amoco Ultimate . . .
Thanks for the responses to my original post. I now have 2K on new '06 and the engine started running like I expected it to recently. First gear roll-on wheel hop is brutal as is the shift to second. I also realized that although it has 400HP it is 400 pounds heavier than my old WS6 so its built to run 13.3s just like the T/A was. But I like this car a lot better, much smoother, refined, luxurious and doesn't beat you to death like the old F bodies did.
Only bad surprise so far is that the rear axle alignment came from the factory with 18 feet of toe-in per mile, so caught that early after a similar experience with my '04 which I didn't notice until the tires had worn pretty bad. If you haven't had your rear toe-in checked yet, do it before it costs you a set of tires, because a lot of them are coming from the factory this way to maximize turn-in handling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The LS2 (or any engine) running with Mobil one from the factory will already have a fine finish on the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls. Much of the "breaking in" will be in the rest of the driveline, such as the trans and differential.

Last night I hit 160 mph out on US27 with 540 miles on the odometer. Coming back into the Broward/Dade areas, I found myself surrounded by ricers driving Nissan 240s, Integras, and Civics. I had a little fun spanking them around from light to light, and I wound it up to near the redline a couple of times.

Needless to say, I don't take long break in periods as gospel. The GTO runs as well as it did when I drove it home from the dealership.

My other rides are an LS6 TA, and a Yamaha R1, which has seen 187 mph on the same stretch of road. The GTO feels far more comfortable at speed than the TA, and it's much less hairy than riding a bike at ludicrous speeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts