LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
STANG SLAYER WS6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to buy a new 05' or 06' GTO. I was wondering about the reliability from current owners. I currently own a 2002 Pontiac WS6 Trans Am w/6sp. It is very reliable, never any problems. I also own a 1999 Cadillac Catera which is horribly unreliable. I know that the current GTO is a direct decendant of the Opel Omega MV6 & Holden Monaro. (The Cadilliac is nothing but a re-badged Opel Omega) By the way the Cadillac is a wonderful driving car with same rear drive & independent rear suspension. Nonetheless, it has been a reliability NIGHTMARE! I just dont want to get into the same deal with the new GTO. Owners thoughts & opinions please? By the way, I have test drove a brand new GTO. Loved the car but the factory stereo SUCKS. The factory Bose system in the Catera is WAY better. Does anyone know if a speaker upgrade helps the factory GTO stereo system any? Thanks in advance.

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
Reliability is a term that is different in everyone's mind. I see reliable as anything that can get me from place to place without the fear of breaking down or losing necessities like A/C and heat - at least for the warranty period. Every vehicle line has its odd ends. If you are concerned about the powertrain itself - I wouldn't be worried about it. Besides the Catera didn't have an LSx in it. The Catera had an Opel designed 54 degree 3.0 iron block v6...basically a rebadged Opel Omega MV6, which had numerous electrical and engine problems. The Holden Manaro has been around through several generations without any major problems. The GTO being based on the Opel as well...that is new to me....

Speaker upgrade does help a bit, but there is also a tweak you can do for the sub amps that improves the experience just a bit; many many threads on sound system upgrades in Stereo/Electronics.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
A great car and an even better motor!

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
best performance car i've ever owned. i started with a 99 camaro z28, then a 03 mach1 and now the 06 gto. there is no comparison, no sqweaks, no rattles, and so far trouble free, even with mods.

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
With about 30K in a year & a half, nothing major has gone wrong. A few minor things, but nothing related with leaving me stranded. There are occasional reports of the LS2 throttle pedal (which is electronic) causing problems. But, for every one of those, there are 50 more that haven't had that problem. The IRS on the Catera has been known to cause excessive tire wear. I've had to deal with a few. The GTO IRS is similar. But, most owners have excessive rear tire wear from the power. :gears:

On another note, the Catera/Opel Omega is similar but not exactly the same as the Monaro/GTO. Here is an interesting article: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14394

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Very reliable. Im on my second GTO. Believe about 1/4 of what you read on these forums. There are very knowledgable folks on here, but a lot more are not. I have had nary a problem and I know about 30 people with GTO's and none have had any real problems either.....Of course, most of the 30 have made some modification of some form..........and as we all know, things can happen when you mess with something that aint broke. As for the stereo....My dealer did it and I have yet to get with him to find out how. But somewhere in our instrument control center is a a way to shut off the distortion control. Greatly improves the stereo.....haha, you can actualy 'CRANK IT' now.

·
14 Pound Boosted Farm Truck
581 Posts
Do not buy a FEBRUARY 06 GTO ,
At 1497 miles
One Thousand Four Hundred Ninety Seven miles

MY GTO had two damaged front strut assembly's
that Pizzed oil all over the front brakes and front bushings
as well as this oil ruined the under coat sealer on the
underside of the car,
Now that I have MY car back from the Dealer
(A DIFFERENT DEALER THAN WHERE I PURCHASED THE CAR FROM ,
he knows he is THE MAN)

other years and month GTO`s seem to be ok
MY car is now trouble free.........
TROY..........:drink:

I HAVE A SICKNESS FOR QUICKNESS............tm

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
tigeragogo said:
I would drive cross-country right now without any doubts. The best brand new car for the price.
+1 No mechanical problems unrelated to me f*cking around with the car.
and I didn't have strut rub either when it was stock.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,888 Posts
Bought mine feb 06. 16K miles and 67 runs down the track no problems. I play hard but I'm a PMCS (preventive maintenance checks and services) nut.

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
Bought mine the 4th of July in 2005 and have 24k miles on it and its only issue was a broken clutch actuator rod at 400miles. I drive it to work in bumper to bumper traffic everyday in all weather conditions. My biggest gripe is that I have some sort of strange water leak that comes from under the door if the car is not on level ground. It looks as though its coming in from in between the inner door panel and the door across the jam seal into the back seat. Service cant duplicate it, and so I am just going to keep it on level ground until I can get the inner door panel off and see where the waters getting into it.

SAm

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
i beat the piss out of my ls2 and it loves me everytime :)

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
im the only one whos had problems... lol.

if you want a list of problems, PM ME. hehe. These cars are known for minor oil leaks for most part, which is nothing... But u better catch it before it catches you

·
Still a communist state
12,543 Posts
no problems with the drivetrain at all,got her in march 06 and have 1500 miles on her

·
Still a communist state
12,543 Posts
sccaGTO said:
PANSY! :gr_jest: Drive that car. It's not a show queen.
:drink: she only comes out on nice days

·
Registered
16 Posts
wraith said:
Bought mine the 4th of July in 2005 and have 24k miles on it and its only issue was a broken clutch actuator rod at 400miles. I drive it to work in bumper to bumper traffic everyday in all weather conditions. My biggest gripe is that I have some sort of strange water leak that comes from under the door if the car is not on level ground. It looks as though its coming in from in between the inner door panel and the door across the jam seal into the back seat. Service cant duplicate it, and so I am just going to keep it on level ground until I can get the inner door panel off and see where the waters getting into it.

SAm
I seam to have a similar problem 2004 GTO with water coming thru drain holes at bottom of drivers door filling up channel in weatherstripping and going onto front carpet. Dealer has not been able to fix it after trying and then denying 5times 6times I've lost count! Otherwise it's a great car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.