1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
326 Posts
Are you saying, that the AFR % error pid works correctly for an LS2? If this is true, i can't understand why my VE table corrections are over shooting.:-off the

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nomorefwd said:
Are you saying, that the AFR % error pid works correctly for an LS2? If this is true, i can't understand why my VE table corrections are over shooting.:-off the
I dont know either, however, by all the theoretical work I've done on it, it really looks like it. I don't have a C6/GTO to test it on either, so this is something for you guys to test. If you need it multiplied out my a smaller amount, I can very easily accommodate that, just tell me.
Again--I don't have a test mule, so please use this thread or just contact me directly with reviews/commentary/observations/bug reports/etc.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Man, you are awsome! I was getting ready to go out and set my ve table today. You just saved me some work.
I'll let you know how it works.
First it was the injector table now this..
Thanks bud.

·
Registered
326 Posts
redhardsupra said:
I dont know either, however, by all the theoretical work I've done on it, it really looks like it. I don't have a C6/GTO to test it on either, so this is something for you guys to test. If you need it multiplied out my a smaller amount, I can very easily accommodate that, just tell me.
Again--I don't have a test mule, so please use this thread or just contact me directly with reviews/commentary/observations/bug reports/etc.
I don't think HPT works correctly. It over shoots big when using paste special multiply .5. I will give your spreadsheet a try this week.

As the others have stated, thanks for your work. I found your VE article very intriguing.

·
outlawpontiacdragseries.c om
613 Posts
HPT overshoots because the VE table isn't scaled correctly. Marcin's spreadhsheet takes it back to actual numbers, then you apply your correction, then it takes it back to GM's goofy numbers. I haven't used it yet, but I know I was having tons of trouble before overshooting and then undershooting the VE table. I can't wait to try this. Does the format make sense? I took his math and tried to make it as easy as possible to use. I assumed it shouldn't take more than 4 iterations to get your ve right.

·
Registered
326 Posts
PurplePiss said:
HPT overshoots because the VE table isn't scaled correctly. Marcin's spreadhsheet takes it back to actual numbers, then you apply your correction, then it takes it back to GM's goofy numbers. I haven't used it yet, but I know I was having tons of trouble before overshooting and then undershooting the VE table. I can't wait to try this. Does the format make sense? I took his math and tried to make it as easy as possible to use. I assumed it shouldn't take more than 4 iterations to get your ve right.
I didn't think it was scaled correctly, but I don't have excel here at home to look at the spreadsheet. Tuesday i will give it a try.

·
Dismembered
4,338 Posts
OK. Now for a REALLY basic question probably anwsered in a tuning basics guide somewhere but I'm too lazy to look for it at the moment.

What is the best method to get the highest hit rate in the VE table?

TIA,
Lazy BS

·
Hazard to Society
5,284 Posts
I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff. I figured out how to plug all the info in his spreadsheet. Now, whats the purpose to change Main VE values? Will this change AFR at WOT? Can it hurt the car at all? Do I have to run a Speed Density tune? Any help or understanding would be greatly appreciated.

·
Fastest GTO in NL
106 Posts
While I'm not the originator of the attached guide (actually two guides in one doc), I found it very useful in part throttle tuning of my VE table. The most important thing with VE tuning is to drive around as long as possible and try to hit every cell in the histogram that you would normally see under part throttle daily driving. YMMV

For further reading/active forum participation, I'd recommend joining hptuners.com's forum. Good stuff over there and significantly more active than the tuning/dyno section here. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Dismembered
4,338 Posts
Thanks Camarodoctor. I have the ls1 tuning guide and have read it several times. I am a frequent poster at the HPT board but thought since we have Marcin's attention here, he might have some words of wisdom to pass along.

·
613 Posts
Chris,

This is for tuning the VE table on an LS2 in SD mode. Do not use this if you don't understand completely. Not trying to be nasty, just don't want you to blow your motor.

Jason

·
Hazard to Society
5,284 Posts
I've been wanting to go MAFLESS with my LS2, is that what Speed Density is?? I'm not gonna do any of this till I know for sure. So basically the VE Table is only there if the MAF Fails or is unpluged?

·
613 Posts
Cyclone Chris said:
I've been wanting to go MAFLESS with my LS2, is that what Speed Density is?? I'm not gonna do any of this till I know for sure. So basically the VE Table is only there if the MAF Fails or is unpluged?
Almost correct. The VE table is blended with the MAF readings below 4k rpm because the maf is not good and reacting to rapid changes. Basically if your over 4k rpm, it assumes your WOT and your in PE, but around town it uses a blend to make part throttle fueling smoother. I'm not sure if MAFless is the way to go if your car is pretty much stock. It is important to get the VE table right so when you turn the MAF back on, the % error you see must be from the MAF. Once the MAF is correct, then you can feel confident that when you ask for 12.8 WOT PE, you will get it and, when/if the maf ever fails it will have a backup. I've never heard of a MAF failing though during a WOT run.

·
Hazard to Society
5,284 Posts
Well, I heard of most Aussies going Mafless after an intake and got better gains by doing that.

Eventually I'm going to get an OTRCAI and would also like to go Mafless. Are there any procedures to do this???

The way I look at it, I first need to reset all fuel trims in the scanner, then set the MAF Fail Freq to 0, then unplug the MAF. My low and Hi Octane table are the same (tuner did that).

Once this is done I need to drive around town and keep it under 4K RPM so that I won't go into PE mode correct? I should also fill as many cells in the % Error LTFT Histogram Table. After thats complete, I need to copy and paste the % Error Values in the spreadsheet, and also the Stock VE values in there. Then the result would be the new VE Table. Repeat these steps 3 more times and then WHAT????? Can I keep leaving my MAF unplugged?

Are there any HOW TO guides on this sorta thing? What about smoothness of the table? and so forth.

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's been beaten to death, really no need to repeat it all for the GTO crowd, it's all there for your reading pleasure already.

if you want more on it, start a different thread, let's keep this search button-friendly

Cyclone Chris said:
Well, I heard of most Aussies going Mafless after an intake and got better gains by doing that.

Eventually I'm going to get an OTRCAI and would also like to go Mafless. Are there any procedures to do this???

The way I look at it, I first need to reset all fuel trims in the scanner, then set the MAF Fail Freq to 0, then unplug the MAF. My low and Hi Octane table are the same (tuner did that).

Once this is done I need to drive around town and keep it under 4K RPM so that I won't go into PE mode correct? I should also fill as many cells in the % Error LTFT Histogram Table. After thats complete, I need to copy and paste the % Error Values in the spreadsheet, and also the Stock VE values in there. Then the result would be the new VE Table. Repeat these steps 3 more times and then WHAT????? Can I keep leaving my MAF unplugged?

Are there any HOW TO guides on this sorta thing? What about smoothness of the table? and so forth.

Thanks Chris

1 - 20 of 76 Posts